• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] "interpreting", innovating, hyperfocus and multitasking

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am having a busy couple of weeks but am happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment. As well as teaching I am being given almost free reign to reinvent processes at a college level that will fix a lot of broken, archaic practices. I am often in deep hyperfocus as I gather all of the threads.

I am loving it and feel ennervated and energised when I can develop frameworks to bridge/interpret problems (and knowledge when teaching) in a simply understood way.

The extra work doesn't feel like work and I know I am very fortunate in this. :wubbie:

The only downsides to this are that with the multitasking and hyperfocus to achieve my goals and fixes, I become the typical absent-minded "professor" when it comes to my specs, pens etc. and KNOW that the adrenalin and amount of work that I am doing will also come with a health downside of fatigue when I stop.

These types of projects I am undertaking are almost as necessary to me as breathing so I accept the risk.

Do other INTPs experience this, and if so how do you manage the downsides - eternally curious

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I am having a busy couple of weeks but am happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment. As well as teaching I am being given almost free reign to reinvent processes at a college level that will fix a lot of broken, archaic practices. I am often in deep hyperfocus as I gather all of the threads.

I am loving it and feel ennervated and energised when I can develop frameworks to bridge/interpret problems (and knowledge when teaching) in a simply understood way.

The extra work doesn't feel like work and I know I am very fortunate in this. :wubbie:

The only downsides to this are that with the multitasking and hyperfocus to achieve my goals and fixes, I become the typical absent-minded "professor" when it comes to my specs, pens etc. and KNOW that the adrenalin and amount of work that I am doing will also come with a health downside of fatigue when I stop.

These types of projects I am undertaking are almost as necessary to me as breathing so I accept the risk.

Do other INTPs experience this, and if so how do you manage the downsides - eternally curious

I understand what you mean - I multitask easily and can focus well on things, though not for long periods unless it involves something I love. When I do intense or high volume work, or have a lot of stress going on, I have to take a break. You should too. A day to sleep in, veg out doing nothing but letting your mind relax and spread out would do you well, though I am sure you will need much more than that if you are enduring long term stress.

T

ThatGirl

Why stop? Have the next project lined up before the current one ends. Also, learn to put pens everywhere, so there is no way possible you are left without one.

Don't schedule every moment of your time, leave a little bit open for flexibility. That way you can recharge or focus on others things beside the project if need be.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I understand what you mean - I multitask easily and can focus well on things, though not for long periods unless it involves something I love.

I am very fortunate in that I do love what zi am doing ;)

When I do intense or high volume work, or have a lot of stress going on, I have to take a break. You should too. A day to sleep in, veg out doing nothing but letting your mind relax and spread out would do you well, though I am sure you will need much more than that if you are enduring long term stress.

Intellectually I know this but find it difficult to do so. I have a very low boredom threshold, as I believe do most INTPs.

I DO have difficulties switching my brain off to sleep tho. We have a long weekend here for Foundation Day, and I have been deliberately not working on projects but find myself scattered and bored, and have been burying myself in the mundane to try and deflect thinking and boredom. Like I suspect of many INTPs, boredom is my greatest fear.:doh:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Why stop? Have the next project lined up before the current one ends. Also, learn to put pens everywhere, so there is no way possible you are left without one.

I can assure you I am wholeheartedly with you on the lining up the next project. :smile: I have planned projects and funding for the next few years. As to the pens - difficult to leave them everywhere - I have a beautiful, 62.5kg 1yo mastiff who just loves them;)

Don't schedule every moment of your time, leave a little bit open for flexibility. That way you can recharge or focus on others things beside the project if need be.

My Pness with moderate J would not allow me to schedule all of my time - whether that is fortunate or unfortunate I have yet to determine. My exploration of tangents I discover while doing seemingly different tasks gives me many lightbulb moments. Is there a lightbulb smiley?

Thank you for your perspectives :hi: