User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Hi, need help w/ an ENTP

Hi,

So I have this ENTP who wants to buy a car. But the problem is every time we settle on a specific car, he suddenly changes his mind and argue this other car is better...

What's worse is every time I list the reasons why this car is a good choice, he argues why it's bad and every time I argue why this car is bad, he argues why it's good.

How do I help this ENTP reach a decision?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Show him a new car that's not in the current list of options, and he'll pick that one for sure.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

tell him to let you know when hes made up his mind about what car he wants

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Hi,

So I have this ENTP who wants to buy a car. But the problem is every time we settle on a specific car, he suddenly changes his mind and argue this other car is better...

What's worse is every time I list the reasons why this car is a good choice, he argues why it's bad and every time I argue why this car is bad, he argues why it's good.

How do I help this ENTP reach a decision?
    Hahahahahahahha

Love it.
    "Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible." - Mac Anderson

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Tell him that he's taking too much of your time and that it would probably be best if he looks for a car elsewhere. It's just not going to be profitable by the time it's all said and done.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ISTP

Oh I'm not selling him a car lol.

He's a close friend of mine and he asked me to tag along w/ him to look for a new car. But despite all the quality advice I give him, he seems to have his own idea or vision of the car he wants.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Maybe he just wants to think he's right. Next time you try to talk him out of one and he keeps giving arguments in favour, just say "ok, you win". Then when your criticisms come true, say "I told you so". Maybe then he'd never argue with you again.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ----

i would say 'let's go for a drive when you've bought something.' this is why i shop on my own - don't want to ruin my relationships with my flip/flopping and overanalysing.

i have a VW golf and i like it. other ENTPs may enjoy. it won the 2009 world car of the year award.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Maybe he just wants to think he's right. Next time you try to talk him out of one and he keeps giving arguments in favour, just say "ok, you win". Then when your criticisms come true, say "I told you so". Maybe then he'd never argue with you again.
    Unlikely, this isn't how ENTP's work really.

Thing is, we argue because we understand things through challanging whot is known. If someone says something good about a car, we'll present a counterpoint to see if they can rationalize it away. If there's a good reason behind why that negative issue isn't a big deal, then they'll likely be pleased with it.

If yeu give me something and say it's good, I'll say it's bad on principle just to see if yeu can PROVE it's good. If yeu can't, then it probably isn't. If yeu can win the debate, then chances are it really is good and worth getting.

To Rainne: he's just trying to understand things in the way he learns fastest - by challenging everything yeu present to him. Yeur only real way to combat this, is to either meet his challenges head on and refute his arguments point for point, explaining either why they aren't that bad, or why yeu feel one issue outweighs the benefits of another. Yeur other option is to bluntly explain whot he's doing and request he try to discuss the matter in another format that would be more comfortable for yeu.

It sounds like he's just trying to understand whot the options he has are, and that's the quickest way for him to learn. It's pretty much classic entp behaviour =3

MBTI
    ENTP

Offer physical intimacy as a bribe.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."