User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default How similar are INFP's and INTP's?

The dominant function is different, Fi vs Ti, but the secondary "extroverted intuition" should lead the thinkers down similar paths or along similar patterns. There is a lot of typology information out there, and some of it is contradictory, but I did read somewhere that INFP's and INTP's are remarkably similar. I think it is in Kiersey's "Please Understand Me." In my personal experience, I have found them to be somewhat similar in that they spend a good deal of time in somewhat detached reverie, and because I am an NF, I do tend to focus a bit more on the emotional states of people than others may.... And I find INTP's to be total softies, though supercilious ones will usually point out your foolishness, which is embarassing and helpful.

They appear so different in some ways, and yet so similar in others...perhaps it's as if they are drawn to the same questions and yet go about the analyses very differently. I guess I just like thinking about this contrast.

What do you think about these two types compared to one another? Who would be better suited to answer this question, an INTP or INFP?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm confused about the softness i see in intps because if you listen to them they act like it's not there kinda...what is that?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP

It appears that there's another thread just like mine up right now...hmm. Lady X, it is so pleasant to find you here every time I sign back on.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

They appear so different in some ways, and yet so similar in others...perhaps it's as if they are drawn to the same questions and yet go about the analyses very differently. I guess I just like thinking about this contrast.

What do you think about these two types compared to one another? Who would be better suited to answer this question, an INTP or INFP?
    Just as INFJs and INTJs are very similar in some ways and very different in others.
    Uh, who is better suited to answer, a batch of INTPs and a batch of INFPs? Doubt one single person will be helpful.

I think a big similarity is that we are both Fe-retarded, judge internally and 'perceive' externally from our Ne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    It appears that there's another thread just like mine up right now...hmm. Lady X, it is so pleasant to find you here every time I sign back on.

i like when you sign on
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm confused about the softness i see in intps because if you listen to them they act like it's not there kinda...what is that?
    Could you be talking about INTP (Ti-dom) detachment?

From one awesome INTP profile:
    Now looking specifically at first the Ti, the principle of detachment even encompasses how an INTP views himself. He may analyse his own thought processes as if his mind and body were separate from his conscious self. In wanting to understand his reactions to things, he may treat himself, even his own thoughts, as subjects for experiment. At the extreme end of the scale, where Ti is very dominant, the ultimate goal of understanding the world with total clarity must be achieved through total detachment from everything. Fortunately, Ti never dominates over the other 3 preferences to such an extent that such an unhealthy state is reached.
    Admittedly, I do the bolded quite often.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Imo intp and infp are like different ends to the same pole, the middle part that we share mostly is the Ne and Si and the ends of the pole are Fi and Ti and we like to keep ourself on our end of the pole most the time and rarely visit the opposite end of the pole

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    The soft part is somewhere really deep, so it doesent get to the surface easily. Its quite same with infp and Te, you can see that they clearly got some of it since they must have made rational decisions or want rational things to keep the balance a bit, but when you listen to them they act like its not there kinda..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post

That description is so amazingly detailed and accurate. I wish I knew where to find similar descriptions for other types.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post

I too identify with that statement very strongly - I always examine why I feel like I do or if I could have approached something in a different way. It is second nature to analyse cause and effect in my self and others in a very detached way.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    The dominant function is different, Fi vs Ti, but the secondary "extroverted intuition" should lead the thinkers down similar paths or along similar patterns. There is a lot of typology information out there, and some of it is contradictory, but I did read somewhere that INFP's and INTP's are remarkably similar. I think it is in Kiersey's "Please Understand Me." In my personal experience, I have found them to be somewhat similar in that they spend a good deal of time in somewhat detached reverie, and because I am an NF, I do tend to focus a bit more on the emotional states of people than others may.... And I find INTP's to be total softies, though supercilious ones will usually point out your foolishness, which is embarassing and helpful.

Why would we be drawn to the same questions? Even people of the same type aren't all drawn to the same questions.
    You probably think we appear similar because you connect with us via Ne, and you perceive similar energy levels and interaction styles, or intellect perhaps. But this is a superficial assessment.
    In some areas (like relationships) INTPs more closely resemble ISTPs than any NF.
    Also, I think you guys have a habit of trying to fluff us up a bit. Kinda like putting a fluffy cover on a toilet seat lid (wth do ppl do that?). We're probably harder/colder than you like to imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.