User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Empathy is more intuitive to me (imagining yourself in the other's shoes).

Sympathy is more about feeling what the other feels, or putting your emotions (rather than your mind or imagination) in sync.
    k.. i got it wrong then. this whole time, i thought empathy was feeling the other persons feelings. cause in direct translation, empathy means "to suffer with", in Swedish. so i guess that's where i got it from.

sympathy i thought was in the percievers eyes. to say someone is sympathetic, means that person is a nice person, easy to relate to, easy to talk to, understanding ect.

i'll wiki it when i get home though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    oh. sympathetic vs empathetic. I thought it was the other way around. To be empathetic, you can actually, or easily feel for/with the other person. Sympathetic, is well, being nice about someone else feeling sad.

I too stopped to think about this.

Looked up Wikipedia this is what it said:

Although empathy and sympathy are often used interchangeably, a subtle variation in ordinary usage can be detected. To empathize is to respond to another's perceived emotional state by experiencing feelings of a similar sort.[1] Sympathy not only includes empathizing, but also entails having a positive regard or a non-fleeting concern for the other person.[2]
    In common usage, sympathy is usually making known one's understanding of another's unhappiness or suffering, especially when it is grief. Sympathy can also refer to being aware of other (positive) emotions as well.

Empathy, which literally translates as in feeling, is the capability to share another being's emotions and feelings.
    Empathy is an ability with many different definitions. They cover a broad spectrum, ranging from feeling a concern for other people that creates a desire to help them, experiencing emotions that match another person's emotions, knowing what the other person is thinking or feeling, to blurring the line between self and other.

Too tired to decipher it for myself at the moment but it is there for anyone else to.

'edit': not quick enough on the keyboard I see.
    'It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here.... The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.' Trinity

Agent Brown: 'Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions.'

'Maybe the questions are right, we just don't like the answers'

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by TiNe_2_IP View Post
    I too stopped to think about this.

Looked up Wikipedia this is what it said:

Although empathy and sympathy are often used interchangeably, a subtle variation in ordinary usage can be detected. To empathize is to respond to another's perceived emotional state by experiencing feelings of a similar sort.[1] Sympathy not only includes empathizing, but also entails having a positive regard or a non-fleeting concern for the other person.[2]
    In common usage, sympathy is usually making known one's understanding of another's unhappiness or suffering, especially when it is grief. Sympathy can also refer to being aware of other (positive) emotions as well.

Empathy, which literally translates as in feeling, is the capability to share another being's emotions and feelings.
    Empathy is an ability with many different definitions. They cover a broad spectrum, ranging from feeling a concern for other people that creates a desire to help them, experiencing emotions that match another person's emotions, knowing what the other person is thinking or feeling, to blurring the line between self and other.

Too tired to decipher it for myself at the moment but it is there for anyone else to.

'edit': not quick enough on the keyboard I see.
    um, so, I got it right then!

thanks!

figsfiggyfigs

oh. sympathetic vs empathetic. I thought it was the other way around. To be empathetic, you can actually, or easily feel for/with the other person. Sympathetic, is well, being nice about someone else feeling sad.
    They're a pain in the ass to remember.

Sympanthy is to feel for the person, feel what they feel. I don't do that.

I feel what they feel to the point of understanding and nothing else. I can understand HOW they feel. I can define it, and it's boundaries. I can understand WHY the feel a spectrum of feelings, etc.

but I won't feel what they feel.

edit:. fudge I can't believe I screwed them up...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    They're a pain in the ass to remember.

Sympanthy is to feel for the person, feel what they feel. I don't do that.

I feel what they feel to the point of understanding and nothing else. I can understand HOW they feel. I can define it, and it's boundaries. I can understand WHY the feel these spectrums of feelings, etc.

but I won't feel what they feel.

edit:. fudge I can't believe I screwed them up...
    I understand what you're saying, you just got the two definitions wrong

figsfiggyfigs

I understand what you're saying, you just got the two definitions wrong
    Oh I know you did, I'm just confused. Cause I always understood it different and I just checked wikipedia and I got a different definition than TINE

WIKI

Sympathy is a social affinity in which one person stands with another person, closely understanding his or her feelings. Also known as empathic concern, it is the feeling of compassion or concern for another, the wish to see them better off or happier. Although empathy and sympathy are often used interchangeably, a subtle variation in ordinary usage can be detected. To empathize is to respond to another's perceived emotional state by experiencing feelings of a similar sort.[1] Sympathy not only includes empathizing, but also entails having a positive regard or a non-fleeting concern for the other person.[2
    and there are a lot of different definitions for empathy on there.... Damnnn

But yes, You get the gist!!

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

So basically, with sympathy you're likely to experience the wish that they were better off, and often gets triggered by empathy, which is mirrorring the feelings the other person is experiencing.

That would also explain why when the feelings are wayyyy intense, you get hung up on it and aren't able to get to the stage of sympathising, as sympathizing requires you to take a step back and detach from the other person in order to feel for *them* instead of you just feeling and drowning in that feeling.

Or did I screw it up?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I've heard and read so many different explanations of sympathy vs. empathy that I don't pay attention anymore. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what each one is and why one is better than the other.

If I ever use one of the words when the other one would have been better according to some definition or other, I don't care.

Does that make me unsympathetic or unempathetic?

MBTI
    INTP

Help we need a feeler!
    'It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here.... The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.' Trinity

Agent Brown: 'Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions.'

'Maybe the questions are right, we just don't like the answers'

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

*raises hand*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”