First 456

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    That sums it up.
    I know, right?
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

MBTI
    FREE

Personally, I don't like to make assumptions. It's not that I'm oblivious, it's that I don't base my actions on hunches. Whenever I have come to a conclusion without close to 100% certainty, I have always felt incredibly uncomfortable; and on the few occasions when those conclusions have proven false... well, let's just say those "failures" still haunt me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I'm far from oblivious. *scratches head* As an English major, it's hardwired into me to analyse literary texts, which involves deciphering the symbolic; why did the author choose this word, rather than its synonym? What effect does this have? What are the implications? Naturally, I pick apart the words and actions (or lack thereof) of people I interact with. I think, "They could have done a number of things, or said anything, so why did they choose to X or Y?" Cue the silent brainstorming of possible interpretations. With people I'm interested in, every word and action is picked apart like this, only more obsessively. Until I have conclusive evidence, any interpretation is equally plausible. Thus, I feign obliviousness until confirmation is provided and I can respond accordingly.

There was this one guy who was pretty underhanded. He decided to play the "nice guy" role and pretend to pursue a friendship with me, whilst dropping ambigous hints. To be honest, I found his lack of directness disgusting. If he was interested in a relationship, being upfront about his feelings from the beginning would have been the best option. The way he went about it was just repulsive, and the most frustating part was that he was obvious enough to make a blip on my radar, but ambigious enough so that I couldn't reject him without looking like a jerk. Throwing hints = FFFFFFUUUUU.

INTPs, or perhaps any girl, need the pursuer to be direct and honest. Ambiguity leaves room for multiple interpretations, regardless of whether there is requited interest or not.
    SO SO SO true. My friends marvel at how oblivious I seem to be to guys liking me, but it's really mostly the above. I never assume anything unless I've been given some direct signs that the interested party is interested. If a guy invites me to "hang out" sometime, or says, "oh, hey, I have this extra ticket for blahblahblah, and I don't have anyone to go with..." I usually just take him at his word, though my friends insist that there's only one way to interpret those sorts of invitations. It's taken me a long time to learn that lesson.

I do appreciate a guy showing interest, but not appearing sycophantic or desperate. Confident interest is intriguing.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Being ambiguous, cryptic or "hinting" as a means to reduce responsibility and "ownership" of your behavior. You clearly have feelings and desires, but only passively suggest them as to put pressure on the other person to "pick up on them" bring them into focus. It's tiring to put up with. That may not be the actual definition, but that's how I tend to think of it.
    That's not the definition. But it really should be!
    It's beyond tiring. It's infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    There was this one guy who was pretty underhanded. He decided to play the "nice guy" role and pretend to pursue a friendship with me, whilst dropping ambigous hints. To be honest, I found his lack of directness disgusting. If he was interested in a relationship, being upfront about his feelings from the beginning would have been the best option. The way he went about it was just repulsive, and the most frustating part was that he was obvious enough to make a blip on my radar, but ambigious enough so that I couldn't reject him without looking like a jerk. Throwing hints = FFFFFFUUUUU.

INTPs, or perhaps any girl, need the pursuer to be direct and honest. Ambiguity leaves room for multiple interpretations, regardless of whether there is requited interest or not.
    Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what is so repulsive about so-called "nice guys".
    Guys who won't even give you the satisfaction of rejecting them, but go around bitching about how hard done by they are, they're the worst. Girls are much more upfront about their interest and much more likely to take a "thanks, but no thanks" on the chin rather than having a fucking breakdown about it. WTH, is it with guys and rejection?

But being too obvious is annoying too, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm good at taking hints, bad at following up on them.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf