• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, is this common with you?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have been known at work as the peacemaker - I think it is the INTP need for harmony in which to fully function best. The downside tho is when working with people who want to go at each other tit for tat in a non-productive and vengeful way (much like a couple of threads I have seen here). This is incomprehensible to me and creates a mental and emotional exhaustion.

I have to the say the bolded is confusing for me. I don't really spend any conscious effort trying to maintain office harmony, or just harmony in general. I could care less. In fact, I usually don't notice. "Oh hey, did you hear that blah blah blah hates blah blah blah because she stole her lunch out of the fridge?!" And then I give a stare like my avatar.

Other than that, OP sounds like it could be an INTP.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have to the say the bolded is confusing for me. I don't really spend any conscious effort trying to maintain office harmony, or just harmony in general. I could care less. In fact, I usually don't notice. "Oh hey, did you hear that blah blah blah hates blah blah blah because she stole her lunch out of the fridge?!" And then I give a stare like my avatar.

Other than that, OP sounds like it could be an INTP.

Not quite the type of harmony I am talking about. I have very strong Fi, (probably because of my extreme N and no S - maybe the N is a defacto F??) despite being an INTP.

This tends to make me very aware of tensions in our small team of 9. We have all worked together for 12 years so are more like family. You know the sort of stuff - love you dearly but sometimes I don't like you - that is just like a family.

I find I function better if there are no negative emotional distractions creeping me out.

I am not quite a textbook case of INTP but emotional upheaval among others close to me puts me in a very uncomfortable place. :sick:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not quite the type of harmony I am talking about. I have very strong Fi, (probably because of my extreme N and no S - maybe the N is a defacto F??) despite being an INTP.

This tends to make me very aware of tensions in our small team of 9. We have all worked together for 12 years so are more like family. You know the sort of stuff - love you dearly but sometimes I don't like you - that is just like a family.

I find I function better if there are no negative emotional distractions creeping me out.

I am not quite a textbook case of INTP but emotional upheaval among others close to me puts me in a very uncomfortable place. :sick:

You may just have far better Fe than I, and I thought it could be due to the fact that you might be an enneagram 9 but it says you're a 5, so I'll chalk it up to good Fe and being far more balanced than myself :)

I'm far more likely to act as if nothing is wrong and not react to anything I find to be emotionally tainted. Just ignore the other person's emotional state, like I do my own :(

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You may just have far better Fe than I, and I thought it could be due to the fact that you might be an enneagram 9 but it says you're a 5, so I'll chalk it up to good Fe and being far more balanced than myself :)

I'm far more likely to act as if nothing is wrong and not react to anything I find to be emotionally tainted. Just ignore the other person's emotional state, like I do my own :(

Believe me my Fe is not very good - just appears to be so and I rate at the highest end of EQ but am not very good at showing true feelings except to those I trust not to bruise them too badly.

Even when I have hurt feelings I am what my pain counsellor calls a stoic and don't let anyone know. I am very good at internalising (or very bad at it depending on perspective):blush:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come to think of it, it takes very little to amuse the INTP I'm describing. We pretty much laugh at the same jokes.

How about these traits:

-Laid-back sense of style. You feel at home in a t-shirt and jeans.

-Gazing in absolute fascination over science and history documentaries.

-Your motto is :"Variety makes life interesting."

-You're not one for routine, things will get done when they get done, no rush.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Come to think of it, it takes very little to amuse the INTP I'm describing. We pretty much laugh at the same jokes.

How about these traits

T-shirt and jeans if I'm out. Minimal clothing when not. I'd say my style can be accurately described as "disheveled."

The specifics of the interests will vary, but a general sense of obsession over what they are isn't terribly uncommon.

Eh. Variety doesn't make it interesting. Life is interesting, by itself. Everything is a system.

Yup. If at all :)

Neobick

MBTI Type
INTP
Am I the only one that think this sounds like a description of the general type. Like just a stereotypical INTP. I share many of those traits, some I dont share as much. But in general, its me.

Last edited:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I LOVE watching history documentaries, in fact, I'm watching one right now.
Yesterday I watched a documentary on the vietnam war. :2ar15:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

That's part of our "P".

That stuff is food for the Ti/Ne monster.

P. Mix things up. When every day is the same, it becomes mundane. Live a little bit and take a late lunch break. Or, I don't know, go for a drive at 11:33pm on a Tuesday night. Eat a brownie for breakfast. Mix it up.

Again, P. I like to "see what life is going to bring my way" (both on any given day and also in general) and then react accordingly. That doesn't mean I don't have plans in place and that I don't act on those plans. I just think that planning can be WAY overdone, because people really have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow or next week. Like if a friend of mine says, "Hey, in 3 weeks we have a 4-day weekend coming up. Let's make a short 2-day trip to another state." I like to "pencil it in" (not pen). If it's a BIG trip that requires plane tickets and all of that stuff, then yes, there's no choice but to plan it all out and get it set in stone (as much as I may fight it, I know it's necessary if the trip is going to happen). But, for something small and spontaneous like that, who really knows what is going to take place in the next 3 weeks leading up to that trip. Your kid could be sick with the flu. I could be told that I have to work afterall. You could change your mind and want to do something else instead. I could change my mind. You might decide you'd rather go on that hot date with the girl you've had your eye on for the last several months. Oops! Your elderly grandfather has to move out of his apartment and he REALLY needs your help moving the heavy stuff. I mean, who knows what things are going to look like in 3 weeks from now? That silly little trip might not even be FEASIBLE when we wake up on that morning.

I think it's an Ne thing too. We are always aware of EVERYTHING that could possibly happen or come up that we see so many possible ways that it won't work. Heck, I've even committed to something (out of pressure) a month in advance and then woke up the morning of the event and thought, "There is NO WAY I want to go do that today! I just flat out don't feel like doing that today. That's NOT how I want to spend my day."

I like to plan, but with a pencil, not a pen. Then when life happens (which it surely does), I can erase my pencil marks and write in a new plan that actually fits with today's circumstances.

/2 cents

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
anyone else get this impulse when they have people over that they want to take off their pants or wear a pj?

L

Lasting_Pain

anyone else get this impulse when they have people over that they want to take off their pants or wear a pj?

When I am at home I usually have a minimal amount of clothes on anyway so that issue is already resolved.