User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default So like every genius character is an ENTP?

Seriously, it seems that whenever there is an intelligent character on TV, they are typed as an ENTP by a good portion of people.

I had a discussion a while ago about the 11th doctors MBTI and I thought he seemed a lot less extroverted than some others. I still do think he is ENTP in this case, but I thought the argument I got against it was a little dodgy. This I also have seen in arguments about characters like House (who I think is INTP/J) and Sherlock Holmes (Who I think is INTJ def) that because he talks through his thought process he must be an E. It doesn't even seem to matter if they are talking slowly to themselves. It automatically makes them an E. I mean I am more social than Holmes and probably also House and I score 100% introverted, so that can't be quite true. Is an I not allowed to discuss ideas with people? I mean seriously, how introverted do you have to be to be typed as an I?

Some people are also claiming that ENTPs are the least extroverted of all extroverts. How can this be? Aren't they supposed to almost entirely independent variables? Obviously all E types can still have different levels of extroversion. And I also don't think the functions necessarily have to be in that order. If a person uses tons and tons of Ne and more than Ti but feels very little need for social interaction with anyone, does this still make them an ENTP?

I'm not saying that no characters are ENTP (the doctor is most commonly) but seriously people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

What people mean by least extroverted is that by societal definitions of introversion/extroversion ENTPs may not necessarily seem extroverted. That doesn't mean they are less extroverted by MBTI definitions.
    Having a strong Ne doesn't make you a ENP, but having it act as the dominant does. I have a strong Ne that may be stronger than my Ti, but it's the Ti that function as the ever-present dominant function. This matters more than how shy/talkative I am in determining type.
    With House the show focuses a lot on his Ne. He may not be the greatest people person but he thrives on interactions with people. I am close to ENTP and House is much more of an ENTP than I am. It's his interactions with others that make the show. He depends on interactions with other people in order to function well. He seeks them out.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

That's because the widely LIKEABLE genius you can write a rich background/different storylines for fits the entp profile

and historicaly the image of the genius has been associated with N. So even if they can be totally fake Ns (by that I mean that they just have the 'zanny' side because it looks good on tv) they'd still be typed as such.

tv shows aren't generally aimed at 3 intjs in arkansas

What disturbs me usually in tv shows for example is that the actors are often of a different to very different type and "contaminate" the characters they play
    I dunno what type the 10th doctor was or the influence of the screenwriters in that case, but I just couldn't stand the absurd mushiness of the last episodes. At the end I was like 'DIE ALREADY!'
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ

I still don't really agree that your functions for each type should be set in stone. House needs other peoples opinions because they help him solve puzzles. He doesn't need people because he likes people. And like I said before, few introverts simply do not like to be around people. As humans they still thrive to some degree on social interactions.

When I said their Ne is stronger than their Ti, I was kinda implying that it would be dominant. But introversion/extroversion is based on how much people like to interact with other people. The whole idea of an introverted extrovert seems ridiculous. If this is how it works, why the bother with the I/E spectrum at all? Could you really be a perfect E and not want the presence of people? It just doesn't make sense to me.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    But introversion/extroversion is based on how much people like to interact with other people.
    This is a common mistake. I/E doesn't just deal with the social drive in people. In MBTI terms an Introvert is someone who focusses on a world of ideas and thoughts, and an Extrovert is someone who focusses on objects, people and actions.

Here's what wikipedia has to say on the matter:

* Extraverts are action oriented, while introverts are thought oriented.
    * Extraverts seek breadth of knowledge and influence, while introverts seek depth of knowledge and influence.
    * Extraverts often prefer more frequent interaction, while introverts prefer more substantial interaction.
    * Extraverts recharge and get their energy from spending time with people, while introverts recharge and get their energy from spending time alone.
    (removed)

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I was just thinking this same thing too, while watching the final episode of House.

Don't pay attention to the typing you see on TypeC. I am convinced that these roles are just largely mistyped on this website, probably due to the large amount of NTPs on here. I personally think that quite a few of these geniuses are INTJs.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'd say there are far more "genius" NTJs in fiction; they're just (almost) always the villain.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Some are INTJs and INTPs, as well.

Rodney McKay in Stargate Atlantis, total INTJ. Even if I don't like him as a character
    Pretty funny, though.

But I think ENTPs are fun to write about... ENTPs tend to do a lot of crazy stuff, say things that offends the wrong people, rebel, toss back a few too many and become emotional...
    Fun stuff to have in a character!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

So like every genius character is an ENTP?
    It is not quite clear to me that any television character can correctly be attached to the predicate 'is a genius', unless one so lowers the bar of genius that any hocus pocus figure like House will meet the standard. The reason for this is that TV series are designed for cultural and political consumption; otherwise, they cannot generate the profits required for airtime. Should it be the case that an ingenious script is crafted and happens to coincide with a gifted actor capable of delivering the script with cerebral fortitude and mimicing with precision the affectations of genius in such a way as to preserve its integrity while embracing a mastery of excitation to stimulate his audience for the sell, the likelihood of such a combination is so improbable as to make it near impossible, unless the actor was also the director and writer. Of the entire 20th century, that leaves Orson Welles whose talent combined in Citizen Kane, but who was eventually stigmatized by Hollywood. And this is of course excluding intellectually gifted types of the philosophical-logical variety who engage in such thoroughgoing analysis as to make no sensible agent want to sponsor such an endeavor given the impatient, thoughtless, and simplicitic nature of most viewers. Of this category there are effectively no characters I am aware of, since for reasons just mentioned they shall get outcompeted by other character types that require less patience, thought, and sophistication to enjoy. Then again, I have not watched television for over two years now as it is in principle a worthless endeavor. Nevertheless, tell me you amazing man who are these genius characters you speak of?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Seriously, it seems that whenever there is an intelligent character on TV, they are typed as an ENTP by a good portion of people.

I had a discussion a while ago about the 11th doctors MBTI and I thought he seemed a lot less extroverted than some others. I still do think he is ENTP in this case, but I thought the argument I got against it was a little dodgy. This I also have seen in arguments about characters like House (who I think is INTP/J) and Sherlock Holmes (Who I think is INTJ def) that because he talks through his thought process he must be an E. It doesn't even seem to matter if they are talking slowly to themselves. It automatically makes them an E. I mean I am more social than Holmes and probably also House and I score 100% introverted, so that can't be quite true. Is an I not allowed to discuss ideas with people? I mean seriously, how introverted do you have to be to be typed as an I?

Some people are also claiming that ENTPs are the least extroverted of all extroverts. How can this be? Aren't they supposed to almost entirely independent variables? Obviously all E types can still have different levels of extroversion. And I also don't think the functions necessarily have to be in that order. If a person uses tons and tons of Ne and more than Ti but feels very little need for social interaction with anyone, does this still make them an ENTP?

I'm not saying that no characters are ENTP (the doctor is most commonly) but seriously people.
    Well ,there's a lot of genius INTP and INTJ characters on TV, and even a few S and F ones (rare, but they exist). Typing House as ENTP is particularly ridiculous.

But yeah, most fictional geniuses are ENTP, because it's the most entertaining of all genius types.

Oh, and the Doctor is not mostly ENTP. The Doctor has had two ENTP incarnations so far, one of whom actually turned into a mentally unstable ENFP near the end of his run (Ten).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole