• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] "introverted" ENTP examples?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
From a lot of descriptions, it seems that ENTPs are always on the go. They are the storytellers, promoters, inventive, crazy and loudly types...
And the examples on the web are often on this side.

Then, I've read also that ENTPs can be the most introverted of the extraverted.
It's odd...
So, I'd like to have some examples of ENTPs who seems introverted, because reserved, or shy, or lost in their thoughts, or what you want.
Have you some examples, expecially fictional?
Thanks.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have famous examples or anything, but the guy I'm seeing is one. He definitely has Ne and Ti, but his Ne is by far his dominant function, as he's always juggling new ideas and wanting to jump into action... but he's not much of a people person. He much rather be alone pursuing all his interests. When he -is- around people (mostly those he's familiar with), like when he's at work, he's goofy and wise-cracking, usually making a strong impression. When he's around people he's uncomfortable with or feels he needs to impress, he's fairly reserved. He's extraverted in the Jungian sense... in that he has a preference to focus on the world outside the self, but not necessarily with other people. That's probably what they mean by ENTPs being the most "introverted" extrovert. They're more action/object/goal oriented than people oriented, which may occasionally appear "introverted."

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I guess I fit...

In terms of reasoning? Yes, highly extroverted; I can't even finish a thought without having to whisper it or say it out loud, or it just doesn't feel complete. When I think through things, I do it through an external process; I think far more clearly when describing something TO someone else, than I do just sitting there thinking about it on my own. This is essentially how extroverts work in mbti.

However, the typical "introvert/extrovert" yeu hear about normally isn't the MBTI definition at all. It's more whether yeu like to deal with people and such. Yes, I can put on a good face and stand out great in a crowd... I can tell stories or be ridiculously charismatic when I so choose to be, it comes very naturally. So, too, however... comes a dislike of people. I'm scared of crowds; it's not quite intense enough to be a true debilitating phobia, but I seriously don't like them. I don't like groups of people, and honestly, I don't like dealing with people in general on more than a 1 on 1 basis. I want to talk to yeu directly. Chat programs I *LOVE* to death, I can have 5 conversations going at once with different people, and each one is private and focused on that one person... I can be happy and silly with one person, while still being sympathetic towards another who's having a bad day, but they need not know I'm feeling both things at once and won't get depressed or frustrated over such. If we were in person, everyone would have to be on the same page. I'm far happier being able to tailor fit myself to each individual's mood and personality. I can make inappropriate jokes with people I know will appreciate such, and can be more reserved with someone else who I wouldn't want to even know I think like that XD

But yeah, generally I am not sociable.

Actually... one friend of mine put it to me that they believed I thought of people this way: To me, people are tools to be used. They provide humour, or interesting discussion, fun, love, or whotever, but as soon as they've lost their use, they are of no more value to me anymore. So long as they maintain a use, they are kept around, but if a tool breaks down, just get another one.

And sadly enough... it's kinda true. It kinda hurt to hear it said that way, but after thinking it through... he was right. That is how I think about people. When yeu stop being relevant to me directly, and no longer provide direct benefit, I no longer have any interest in yeu.

I don't care about the world. I don't care about the starving third world children. Guess whot? They were starving yesterday too. I didn't even know they existed. I had no reason to feel bad. Today I now see a picture of some starving kid I didn't even know existed before. Oddly enough... this doesn't bother me. It's no different than it was yesterday. The starving kid doesn't know I saw their picture. They won't know if I never do anything to raise a finger. They don't know me. I don't know them. There are 6.5 BILLION people on this planet. I can't be emotionally invested in every single one of them; it's not possible. 40,000 die every single day. Do I care that someone died in a car accident in the newspaper? No. Do I care that they were stoned to death? Not really. I might be irritated that someone would DO that, but I have absolutely zero connection with the individual who died. If I directly KNOW them and am attached to them, then YES I will be concerned... but the fact that people panicked about the WTC thing is just... so foreign to me.

When it happened, they showed pictures from a third world nation with people CHEERING... I laughed and promptly got yelled at for doing so. But I laughed because those third world people had NO clue whot they were cheering about. The absurdity of it amused me, that they would be happy that people they didn't even know existed the day before died. Why? They didn't KNOW them. They got no benefit from such. They gained nothing. Well some of them may've now but I don't think that was afghanistan or iraq that was being interviewed.

In any case, the point is that I'm very detached from humanity as a whole. I don't really like being human. It's kind of something I feel ashamed of most of the time. I don't want to be connected to yeu people, and I don't want to have anything to do with yeu if yeu aren't directly related to something that interests me.

The people on this board? Yeu amuse me, yeu entertain me, yeu provoke thoughts and discussions, though admittedly I have been far too distracted to really put true thought into stuff lately and my arguments and posts have been rather lackluster due to such, but hei, it happens.

Regardless, I would notice and grieve if someone here I was aware of died. Eck, peguy, jennifer, sky is blue, even lark or victor. Well maybe not victor, but I'd at least be kinda bleh he was dead, I'm not sure if grieve would be quite the right term for it but whotever.

Point is I am connected to those who stand out to me (I didn't want to list everyone, the list's too long, if yeu're not on the short list don't worry, victor is so it's not based on quality ^.~ ), and those I interact with regularly.

Here's a way to describe it...

If yeu have a favorite tool, a hammer or something sentimental given to yeu by a parent for yeur birthday before they died or something, sure yeu may have no use for a hammer most of the time, but it'd hold sentimental value and yeu would cherish it.

Now yeu come across an old beaten up damaged hammer on the highway when driving along it that's rotting on the side of the road.

Do yeu feel bad that the hammer is broken on the side of the road? No. Yeu probably don't even look at it twice, or might wonder how it got there, but frankly wouldn't care. If the cherished last gift from someone yeu cared about was lost or damaged, it would hurt, despite that it's "just a hammer". It has value, it has meaning, it has a direct emotional connection to yeu as something important.

This is how I view people. I know it may sound cold and heartless, but it's really not. I truly care about people who I know well and value, I just don't see any reason to waste my heart on the endless sea of nameless faces out there.

"Live for yourself, there's noone else more worth living for. Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more." ~ Anthem - RUSH

In any case, I'm not social. Yet am highly social. I love to interact with people on a one on one basis... but I can just as easily do without people. As... long as I know they're not worried about me. When I was stuck in the hospital, and at home over christmas, I was PANICKING badly, because people didn't know where I was. The idea that I would leave people I care about not knowing where I was, if I was hurt, injured, sick, or dead, is something that bothers me to the deepest roots.

But yeah... if yeu're not on the list of people I know, I don't have any interest in yeu. Yeu're an extra on a movie screen about to get stomped on by godzilla. Yeu exist to fill space and make the streets not empty, yeu have no further purpose to me, I provide yeu no further courtesy.

I'm very introverted in terms of how I deal with people, but extroverted in terms of how I deal with thinking; my thoughts are externalized... I am by MBTI's definition, highly extroverted. In terms of the "do yeu like people?" definition, I'm highly introverted.

So there yeu go.

ENTP = introverted extrovert XD

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
So there yeu go.

ENTP = introverted extrovert XD
I identify with all of this... although some of it sounds more 'T/f' than 'E/i' :p

*Shrug* I'ma keep my small i for now.

To summarize:

Ns tend to be kind of detached
Ts aren't great at the human stuff
Ps are more observational rather than active
all of which are 'introvert' traits in other systems.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I identify with all of this... although some of it sounds more 'T/f' than 'E/i' :p

*Shrug* I'ma keep my small i for now.

To summarize:

Ns tend to be kind of detached
Ts aren't great at the human stuff
Ps are more observational rather than active
all of which are 'introvert' traits in other systems.

Actually now that yeu mention the t/f thing, it's probably mixed in there too yeah XD

The "traditional" definition of introvert/extrovert is actually more closely related to T/F than E/I in terms of the MBTI definitions I think... since people generally think of introvert = reserved, doesn't like people, quiet, non emotional, while extroverts = eccentric, people persons, loud, emotional.

So yeah, I think it kinda makes sense to have both E/I and T/F listed there =3

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is me, it just happens inside my head where most people can't see. I don't enjoy talking about things I'm not passionate about or have weird and random knowledge about that I must share, although I have the ability to be passionate about many topics. I'd prefer to be out and about surrounded by people but I'm quite happy when I don't know them or interact with them, they can just be there. I'm not loud, but I could be if I wanted to. I don't tell stories for the sake of talking unless I have a captive and interested crowd, boring people isn't fun. Basically I'm happy in the background so long as I can do my own thing without other people's expectations but if I have people around me who feed my excitement I can get super-happy-excited.

I also just read something that claimed Garfield the cat is an ENTP, so, there.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i got entp friend who is pretty introverted most the time(on scale of extroverts) and he has these phases where he feels introverted and maybe bit depressed. most the time when we are hanging out he extroverts about as much as i do(im about 55% I). but i know hes an entp because he kind of extroverts more easily(and better with new people) and gains energy from extroverting, also hes Fe comes out more easily than mine(suggesting that its his 3rd function instead his 4th), easiest way to see it is to piss him off. hes not loud or always telling stories or anything like that, hes really close to intp, calm and quite sane. makes much different kind of inventions. if you put a tv infront of him he goes in a trance :yes: . dunno what else you want to hear about him

einstein!

einstein belongs to intps :steam:

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't get it. I mentioned this in my other thread. If you are not social and would answer the MBTI questions with the introverted option, how could one be an extrovert. I don't understand even why saying what you are thinking would make one introverted. I do it, and I am INTJ (Introverted 100). Feelings I rarely share, but ideas, processes and brainstorming all the time.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't get it. I mentioned this in my other thread. If you are not social and would answer the MBTI questions with the introverted option, how could one be an extrovert. I don't understand even why saying what you are thinking would make one introverted. I do it, and I am INTJ (Introverted 100). Feelings I rarely share, but ideas, processes and brainstorming all the time.

You can't have an audience without people. ENTP loves people because they like showing off how awesome they are. I don't think INTJ needs or require to show off to people, probably why they are fine being alone.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
You can't have an audience without people. ENTP loves people because they like showing off how awesome they are. I don't think INTJ needs or require to show off to people, probably why they are fine being alone.

Really? On the rare occasion that I do something amazing I often like to show off. Plus this doesn't really fit in with the stereotype that INTJs often get, about them being so proud and pompous. That had to come from somewhere. Just because someone isn't social doesn't mean they never require recognition for awesomeness.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Go read an accurate biography of him in his youth or something :coffee:

wikipedia says that einstein is an intp and everything in wikipedia is correct information :yes:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
wikipedia says that einstein is an intp and everything in wikipedia is correct information :yes:

Classic intp, not accounting for the obvious :rolli:
:whistling:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Classic intp, not accounting for the obvious :rolli:

tell me why do you think that hes an entp instead of intp. if you just say that you read a book and think hes an entp, thats not much more convincing than that wiki says that hes an intp.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
:laugh:
I was playing, actually

I could care less what type einstein was (well except if i had some good material to discuss)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh:
I was playing, actually

I could care less what type einstein was (well except if i had some good material to discuss)

classic entp

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Oh, I saw you trying to seduce me with your rigorous approach:laugh:

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Really? On the rare occasion that I do something amazing I often like to show off. Plus this doesn't really fit in with the stereotype that INTJs often get, about them being so proud and pompous. That had to come from somewhere. Just because someone isn't social doesn't mean they never require recognition for awesomeness.

INTJ has an inner vision of how they perceive things and make judgement according to those rules. That is why it is hard to convince an INTJ without proper reasoning. It does not help that some refuse to soften the words they use when arguing with people. Add the fact that INTJ are often quiet and you get a perception of person who's hard to approach or talked with. When in reality, INTJs are probably one of the easiest type to talk to because they will tell you where they are coming from and they will tell you the reasoning behind a conclusion if you ask nicely.

I bolded the part which separates you from ENTP, they often always want to show off. However, they depend on other people's opinion to measure their worth so they go and seek it contrary to what they say about not caring. Sometime/Often, ENTP will get lost in a goal/plan they deem worth doing which is the reason they will seem introverted at times. Contrary to their spontagious nature, ENTP loves to set multiple goals/plans.