User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    I personally hate “Babel”. But it has nothing to do with the cultures depicted in the movie. Only the contents of story I hate, but I like the settings and the camera angles.
    Coincidentally, Babel is one of my definite favorites, mainly because of the part set in Tokyo. For the other three storylines I agree the content is nothing special (I don't hate it though), but the part with the deaf girls really stands out. And that has very little to do with the cultural setting, but everything to do with the content.

Other than that I like... Garden State. I'm not sure why, it doesn't have an amazing story or genius plot twists, etc. But I'll dip into gestalt psychology and insist the whole is more than the sum of its parts. I just love watching this movie.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    No Country For Old Men. If you're a Cohen Brothers fan (Blood Simple, Fargo, Big Lebowski) you won't be disappointed.
    I'm a fan of their work, but this one was less polished than some of their past movies. I liked it, but it was also thoroughly disturbing and left me with very mixed feelings.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Eight Crazy Nights

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post
    Everybody has different taste, but NTs have a very distinctive taste... Post here the name of a recently released movie you enjoyed so much and worth mentioning to others...
    My most recent favorite was Pride and Prejudice which I saw last winter several times.
    Kiera Knightly was excellent in it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Sense and Sensibility was also an excellent movie, going on the Jane Austen theme. I was pleasantly surprised to see Alan Rickman in it (who also plays Prof. Snape in Harry Potter). It also features Hugh Grant and Hugh Laurie (the actor who plays the infamous doctor House) in a side role.

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

As for other obscure but excellent movies, the film Nicholas Nickleby based on a novel by Charles Dickens was quite entertaining and uplifting.

Nicholas Nickleby (2002)

Miss Potter was an interesting film. It has an unusual twist which I shall not give away, but the story does a fascinating job of debunking the happy ending while still managing to come around to the happy ending at the end of the film.

Miss Potter (2006)

Lastly, as far as recent films, I rather enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

Stardust (2007)

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Lastly, as far as recent films, I rather enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

Stardust (2007)
    Huh . . . yeah, that's actually what I was gonna post. Was the last movie I saw in theaters that I really enjoyed.

Saw two at a film festival at my school that are probably worth mentioning since my primary choice has already been stated

Notre Musique--very technically artistic, very dense . . . a thinker flick,

and Les Invasions Barbares, which may be the most emotionally gripping movie I've ever seen (even if a lot of the effect is, basically, pretty cheap).

MBTI
    ISXJ

I recently saw "August Rush" and "Bella" in theaters. I enjoyed both. "August Rush" was more mainstream, but the soundtrack was beautiful and the story was enjoyable IMO. It was a bit of a heart-jerker.

Bella was also good (almost a breath of fresh air). There's no violence, sex, or explosions involved...it's just about regular 'ole life...which in a way, is kinda nice.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm a fan of their work, but this one was less polished than some of their past movies. I liked it, but it was also thoroughly disturbing and left me with very mixed feelings.
    Freaky serendipity. I was just wondering what (if anything) happened to you, I hadn't seen you post in ages and you're in here quoting me.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Sense and Sensibility was also an excellent movie, going on the Jane Austen theme. I was pleasantly surprised to see Alan Rickman in it (who also plays Prof. Snape in Harry Potter). It also features Hugh Grant and Hugh Laurie (the actor who plays the infamous doctor House) in a side role.
    Sense and Sensibility (1995)

Miss Potter was an interesting film. It has an unusual twist which I shall not give away, but the story does a fascinating job of debunking the happy ending while still managing to come around to the happy ending at the end of the film.
    Miss Potter (2006)
    I enjoyed both of these.

MBTI
    INTJ

Serenity, the movie based on the Firefly series. Awesome movie. Made me decide to order the series on DVD! *can't wait until it comes in the mail*