User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Now with drugs

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I was put on a heavy dosage of anti-depressants about three years ago when I was seventeen. The drug was meant for adults and I felt worst when I was taking them than I ever had in my life.

The ones closest to me who knew that I was taking pills seemed to base all of my emotions from that point on effects from NOT taking my medicine. As in a day where I was feeling upset about something completely rational, they would mumble in a pitying voice, "Did you take your medicine today?". Maybe it's my annoyance with the stereotypes surrounding depressed people, but it seems that when you begin to take medication, you are branded as irrational. To me there is NOTHING worse than this.

My zombie effect hit in around two months. Although I don't like to show my emotions as it is, it was a whole other thing completely when I just didn't care about anything anymore. The people closest to me didn't matter. Currents events didn't bother me. My passions simply became things I did because I was expected to. That's when I decided it wasn't worth it. I was losing the things most important to me because I couldn't feel. I wasn't depressed, but I sure as hell wasn't happy.

I took myself off them with the help of a close friend and picked up a new sport which I obsessively did whenever I felt sad or upset. After such a long workout, sometimes ranging from three to six hours of intense working out, I would forget why I was upset to begin with. No more zombie feeling, thank Hayzeus.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What bothers me is the brainwashing on both sides. People who really don't know anything about it will jump right up and say you shouldn't take prescription meds, you should face your problems and work through them. Well, if you can't think straight, it's hard to sort your problems out. And many of those problems came about in the first place because you can't think straight. So if there is a medication that can help you think straight, why on earth not take it? It seems like 1) masochism or 2) ignorance (pills are bad, period).

Also it frustrates me when people say they took something and it didn't work or made them worse, and voila, that's proof that medications are no good. It isn't. It's proof that your diagnosis was wrong.

There are people who would not be able to function in society without medication. Years back, they would have been institutionalized. And there are people like me, who, without medication, would be dead.

I also don't understand when people will take any damn fool thing off the vitamin/herb shelf of any store rather than something prescribed by a medical professional that's guaranteed clean, of the same dose every time, that has been studied and has predictable results, etc.

It's depressing (ha) that there is still stigma to mental illnesses or disorders of any kind. But there is a new agey mentality of blame the victim even for physical illnesses. People think if you would just eat right, sleep right, think right, hear no evil speak no evil whatever, be the right kind of person, then you would never get sick. That's bullshit, seriously. All kinds of people get sick, and not because they bring it on themselves. So it stands to reason they can't think themselves healthy any more than they thought themselves sick.

I'm very grateful for modern medicine and am all for better living through science.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I took ADs for a long time. Been off of them for about 4 months now...and it's really, really hard. But I'm comitted to trying to beat this thing (I have dysthymia too, for as long as I can remember)
    I found this book to be helpful:

Amazon.com: The Half-Empty Heart: A Supportive Guide to Breaking…

The trouble with ADs, other than side-effects, is that they tend to compress my emotional experience into the middle ground, so nothing is very low, but nothing is very high either, and in this middleground, I just didn't want to work on the underlying issues that made the drugs relevant in the first place.
    Drugs have a place, but for now, I think they get in the way of recovering from dysthymia. I may change that opinion, but I'm trying not to.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I agree that there are polarized beliefs on medication for mental illness. It's a sad, disgusting truth of life.

I'm saying that as someone who has tried everything to get rid of this...feeling. And I won't lie and say that I know anything other than my personal experiences, but I do know what didn't work for me. For some people, it helps them immensely. It saves their life. For me, it helped short term. But long term, I found myself slipping further away than I was without medication - and I didn't care all that much. I had to stop taking them in order to save my life.

It works for some people and I couldn't be happier for those people. It's an awful feeling when you realize that drugs don't work. I wasn't patient enough to sit there and go through all the drugs to find one that worked. Maybe it was a stupid decision and made irrationally. So far, I don't regret the decision though.

I do hope the medications work for you though.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    What bothers me is the brainwashing on both sides. People who really don't know anything about it will jump right up and say you shouldn't take prescription meds, you should face your problems and work through them. Well, if you can't think straight, it's hard to sort your problems out. And many of those problems came about in the first place because you can't think straight. So if there is a medication that can help you think straight, why on earth not take it? It seems like 1) masochism or 2) ignorance (pills are bad, period).

Also it frustrates me when people say they took something and it didn't work or made them worse, and voila, that's proof that medications are no good. It isn't. It's proof that your diagnosis was wrong.

There are people who would not be able to function in society without medication. Years back, they would have been institutionalized. And there are people like me, who, without medication, would be dead.

I also don't understand when people will take any damn fool thing off the vitamin/herb shelf of any store rather than something prescribed by a medical professional that's guaranteed clean, of the same dose every time, that has been studied and has predictable results, etc.

It's depressing (ha) that there is still stigma to mental illnesses or disorders of any kind. But there is a new agey mentality of blame the victim even for physical illnesses. People think if you would just eat right, sleep right, think right, hear no evil speak no evil whatever, be the right kind of person, then you would never get sick. That's bullshit, seriously. All kinds of people get sick, and not because they bring it on themselves. So it stands to reason they can't think themselves healthy any more than they thought themselves sick.

I'm very grateful for modern medicine and am all for better living through science.
    Agreed. I lived with a family member with diagnosed depression who refused medication...for years. She would go to therapy on and off and every time she refused the meds prescription. Not only did she live in her own personal hell but she made others around her live in hell with the mood swings, crazy illogical behavior, she turned her home life into a battle field. It was a good thing she didn't have to work, cause there is no doubt she would not have been able to hold a job. She was one of the lucky ones, many people out there like her but that have no one.

I do think some meds may be overprescribed but I've also read enough to know that the docs rely on the patient to give accurate symptoms. It's not all that simple for them to diagnos and yeah, I'm sure some get a scrip for a false condition. But the alternative? I'd rather not live in that world again.