User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Now with drugs

  1. #21
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Trin,

    How do you feel on the occasions that you do experience some sort of positive upswing in mood, whether accomplishment driven, simple life experience, or randome R&R?

    Do you get a "reset" of the dysthmyia? I always get a little "buffer zone" when things go right for a change. Sometimes it is a result of hardwork, sometimes it is sheer luck, but either way it does set my gears in a different motion.

    Does this make sense?
    Fun activity and being around people certainly give me an upper, iunno it's tough for me to remember emotions and things like that unless I write them down, or they're extreme. The time it became too obvious to me that I wasn't coping was when my partner (who's interstate) came down for a week, I totally enjoyed our time together of course but the very next day after he left I was about as low as I could get. So not much of a buffer.

  2. #22
    Senior Member durentu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    413

    Default

    My cure for depression:

    The ideal: don't pay the electric bill - ever again.

    The practical: Turn off everything that isn't necessary for food water and shelter. computer, cell phone, radio, tv, gps etc all are gone. lights, stoves, microwave, fridge etc are kept. If a non-essential tech needs to be turned on, you have only 15 minutes to use it, at most 3x a day when you're at home.

    Do without technology for 12 months. If still depressed, take medication for 3 months. Then go without technology for 6 months. If still depressed, check with a neurologist or endocrinologist.

    The idea is that you will reunite with your inner self again. Technology use is too noisy and makes the inner voice indistinct or inaudible.

    If the above plan is too unrealistic, then go without tech for 4 weeks with the intent to talk to strangers and shake hands with a new person each day. Make efforts to find your meaning in life. No computer, only books allowed.

    Technology and medication do not solve the root cause of depression. It drags the problem out indefinitely until you crack or die.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

  3. #23
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Fun activity and being around people certainly give me an upper, iunno it's tough for me to remember emotions and things like that unless I write them down, or they're extreme. The time it became too obvious to me that I wasn't coping was when my partner (who's interstate) came down for a week, I totally enjoyed our time together of course but the very next day after he left I was about as low as I could get. So not much of a buffer.
    That's pretty clear. Those types of moods/feelings are certainly more pronounced than mine.

    From time to time, I get in a funk. I hate it. But somehow, I weasel my way out of it more often than not. I haven't made sense of this as it is the exception to the rule in my overall demeanor, but when it does hit me, I fell strange, out of sorts, and essentially discontent.

    Cheers to you, Trin, I really wish you the best in resolving those feelings. They have interfered with my normal mode of being very productive, but it wasn't until I realized that those feelings were a "radar" that something else was wrong, that I made any efforts, whether futile or not, in trying to overcome it.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  4. #24
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    My cure for depression:

    The ideal: don't pay the electric bill - ever again.

    The idea is that you will reunite with your inner self again. Technology use is too noisy and makes the inner voice indistinct or inaudible.

    If the above plan is too unrealistic, then go without tech for 4 weeks with the intent to talk to strangers and shake hands with a new person each day. Make efforts to find your meaning in life. No computer, only books allowed.

    Technology and medication do not solve the root cause of depression. It drags the problem out indefinitely until you crack or die.
    Wait, people are supposed to pay their electric bills?

    Avoiding technology isn't practical. But other than that, I understand the root cause of my depression, I am unable to resolve that any time soon though, in the meantime introspecting does not cause me smile, understanding my inner self is what's brought about recognition of my depression. Technology is a distraction, although it is also a form of support, especially seeing as my partner lives elsewhere so it's the easiest way to connect with him. I do however get out of my house on as many weeknights and weekends as I can and go somewhere that I can read around other people, I find it very calming but not necessarily/always mood improving, kinda depends on what I read really.

  5. #25
    Senior Member durentu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Wait, people are supposed to pay their electric bills?

    Avoiding technology isn't practical. But other than that, I understand the root cause of my depression, I am unable to resolve that any time soon though, in the meantime introspecting does not cause me smile, understanding my inner self is what's brought about recognition of my depression. Technology is a distraction, although it is also a form of support, especially seeing as my partner lives elsewhere so it's the easiest way to connect with him. I do however get out of my house on as many weeknights and weekends as I can and go somewhere that I can read around other people, I find it very calming but not necessarily/always mood improving, kinda depends on what I read really.
    It's not introspection. It's listening/trusting to yourself. Introspection leads to a positive depression most of the time. (dabrowski)

    And you still have your last freedom. The freedom to change attitudes. Medication takes that freedom away from you. Yes, technology is a distraction, and it acts like blinders on a horse: it's more difficult to see things from different angles.

    The most potent form of anti-depressants I've found (other than drugs) is gratitude and forgiveness. Contrary to what most think, gratitude and forgiveness has nothing to do with another person. The gratitude part helps to realign the perspective from a selfish one to a holistic/compassionate one. The forgiveness aspect is about letting go for your own sake, and yet gain wisdom by not forgetting it.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

  6. #26
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    It's not introspection. It's listening/trusting to yourself. Introspection leads to a positive depression most of the time. (dabrowski)

    And you still have your last freedom. The freedom to change attitudes. Medication takes that freedom away from you. Yes, technology is a distraction, and it acts like blinders on a horse: it's more difficult to see things from different angles.

    The most potent form of anti-depressants I've found (other than drugs) is gratitude and forgiveness. Contrary to what most think, gratitude and forgiveness has nothing to do with another person. The gratitude part helps to realign the perspective from a selfish one to a holistic/compassionate one. The forgiveness aspect is about letting go for your own sake, and yet gain wisdom by not forgetting it.
    Had a look over dabrowski's method and doesn't sound like anything that can help me here, but thanks. I'm all for positive thinking and forgiveness and gratitude already but it only gets so far. If medication takes away my ability to change my attitude then... hmm, well it just won't. If I find it numbing then I will no longer consider it an option. I don't consider drugs a solution to anything, they are a short term option, that's all.

  7. #27
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    yeah i don't like medication much and think the dr.s who so freely gave it to my lil sister are partly responsible for her death...so yeah i'm pissed off a bit at the whole system and don't have much respect for their practices....they need to focus on fixing the actual problem rather than just numbing you so your no longer give a f@ck.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  8. #28
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yeah i don't like medication much and think the dr.s who so freely gave it to my lil sister are partly responsible for her death...so yeah i'm pissed off a bit at the whole system and don't have much respect for their practices....they need to focus on fixing the actual problem rather than just numbing you so your no longer give a f@ck.
    I'm sorry for your loss


    I was prescribed Zoloft in my teens, and it destroyed my affect (zombie effect) and messed up my metabolism, I think (and perhaps partly my appetite grew, but I really gained some pounds like never before). By 25-ish, I got off. Lost that weight pretty quick, felt less dead.

    Life still has it's downs..and for a less "subjective" opinion, my family thinks I was better on them...maybe they're right in that I'm not at my best still.. but personally, I don't think medicine was the solution. It just added problems as far as I'm concerned.

  9. #29
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    ^ how long did it take for the "zombie" effect to hit?

    Just curious as I've been taking drugs for about 15 days and I feel fantastic, I've noted a couple of side effects, although they may not be related, but all in all I feel alive, not zombiefyed in the least.

  10. #30
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I think questioning the medical profession for over-prescribing drugs makes sense but it doesn't take away from their effectiveness for many people.

    From my own experience with medication, although not for depression, drugs work for some and not for others. Different drugs work for different people. It is a matter of where you lie on the spectrum of the illness, whatever it is. If it's on the lower end, it's bothersome but not debilitating then by all means use other therapies and see if they help. However if the illness is debilitating, I'd recommend at least trying the medication. Situational depression can be handled well with other therapies but when it's long term, I think medication should be tried.

    Trina, I approached medication the same way you did. I don't lose anything by trying it. If it works for you - figure out the cost-benefit analysis of taking the medication and not having depression symptoms versus the cost of the side-effects (dulling some emotion and other physical effects)...again these differ across people. I find for most people, not being debilitated by depression and it really was debilitating -- these people would find it hard to get out of bed most days and were really without hope in spite of and most frustratingly when they were doing well in their lives otherwise...medication helps them lead somewhat normal lives. The side effects are minimal in comparison to what they faced before medication.

    For most people, it takes 3 weeks or so for the meds to kick in, right?

    Glad it's helping. Monitor your mood and how you feel physically and keep on that for the first six months or so. Ultimately like with any other meds, the doctors depend on patients to describe their symptoms and the effectiveness of the meds to tailor treatment for them. Expect to modify dosage and/or the actual drug to meet your requirements in the long run.

    Hope you feel better!

Similar Threads

  1. How much sleep do you want for yourself? NOW WITH POLL!
    By CzeCze in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 03:35 PM
  2. Obama! (Now with Kung Fu grip)
    By Atomic Fiend in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Most likely type to experiment with drugs
    By Into It in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
  4. Google Earth, now with the sky.
    By Natrushka in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO