• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTP relationships

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yesterday I read something on INTPc that made me sick.

"Do you ever get bored with them? My friend made a good point when he said once you have analyzed someone enough, there isn't much new to be offered there. I think he is also an INTP and would rather talk to strangers for the sake of fresh perspective then people he already knows. I can't help but agree. What do you think?"

This indignation by an anonymous INFP could not be any more pertinent.

"INTP and ENTP are my least favorite types -- I don't even like to be in the same room with these people. They seem to enjoy constant conflict. I've had several as close friends for a time, but when my intellectual appeal wore off they got nasty. From my experience, they are amoral, sadistic, colorless in personality with no concept of empathy. They seem like poorly designed simulacra of a human, inverted into constant self-worship. Their single-minded goal of 'appearing right' seems impossibly empty to me, not to mention dull and draining."

Its almost like the NTPs depicted above see no distinction between ideas scrutinized to their impersonal end and individuals. Or they see people as no more than entities to manipulate around in their system.

I am afraid I cannot respect such an approach.

Have you had similar experiences with such NTPs?

Introverted Judgment, if had not found a higher purpose will be radically ego-centric. If the NTP does not discover an internal higher purpose to commit to. He will turn inwards anyways, as Introverted Judgment cannot go anywhere else, thus there will be nothing to find but his own ego. Thus, self-apotheosis is nearly an inevitable consequence of a malfunctioning Introverted Judgment.

So, this, it seems to me, is what that INFP was getting at here...

"They seem like poorly designed simulacra of a human, inverted into constant self-worship. "

I think healthy NTPs will not have their ethic orient around their ego and will very much be willing to commit to principles bigger than themselves.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I knew an ENTP who was kind of like that.

I personally think most of that description is completely wrong about me, though. One could argue that I certainly have pre-occupied myself with aims, though.
I can't imagine being unempathetic or disinterested in things outside of myself. This may be bolstered by my Enneagram type of 1/2.

No offense, but I think such NTPs as described there are a lot more likely to be type 5(still unhealthy, of course).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's true that I do get kinda bored with people if they're... well, boring. But I don't see that as any different from anyone else. Nobody of any type voluntarily devotes long hours by choice to people they don't feel any connection with, and nobody likes feeling on the Give side of a one-way street.

I mean, this INFJ woman I've known for years has basically used me as a source of ideas, adventure, distractions and whatever since she knew me, and never, as far as I can remember, offered anything back. I understand that her interests aren't as obscure or whatever as mine, but that itself doesn't bother me - I can be interested in pretty much anything, and I'd have loved to listen to her telling me about her life, sharing her thoughts and ideas etc, but she never did. I used to have to sit there and coax anything out of her like getting blood out of a stone; it seemed all she wanted to do was, as I say, use me as a distraction ("Oh you're so fascinating, there's always something new with you, something to explore, you've always got something to talk about to make me think!").

I would regularly contact her to ask how she was, but she just ignored my enquiries and asked me what I was doing. She'd get annoyed if I didn't contact her at least twice a week, but it seemed all there was for me to say was an empty 'how are you?' which I knew wouldn't be answered, and then provide her with more distraction material.

But y'know, because I'm not completely vain and shallow, and don't just want to talk about myself all the time, there's only so long I can be interested in a person who just sits there doe-eyed in amazement... I want some substance back. So I found her boring. And that makes me a bad person, apparently. I still made the effort to keep in touch, but I felt little motivation to do it as often as she wanted me to, so she was constantly paranoid that I was going to cut her dead, despite my sincere reassurances. Then she ended up cutting me dead ("let's part while we're still on good terms" she said), because IHO, it was unbearable to have to go for two weeks without an e-mail at a freakishly busy time of my life. So sorry dear, I'm busy burying my father, sorry I haven't had time to write your Fascinating Facts journal...

And if I were so obsessed with 'appearing right' then I doubt I'd get called eccentric as often as I do - or that it'd concern me as little as it does.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's interesting... that's how I assumed INTP's were, usually. In fact, when trying to learn about something from one (a long time ago), I tried not to convey too much emotion (fearing it would irritate them), and (semi-accidentally) gave a response that actually elicited an explanation of how they actually felt. What I said was:

"So, you are really interested in studying extraverts? I couldn't stand them for that long, so tell me what you find out about them."

Presuming that giving tacit approval of their likely natural tendency to use people as test subjects would make them less uncomfortable talking to me about what they had found out, because I was very interested in how a particular type did things, and thought that such a person was the only one who might know how to predict something like that.

What's interesting is that the INTP in question said that the person wasn't their lab rat, and that they actually wanted meaningful friendship... I was really impressed, and began to think better of this individual.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That INFP either did not really get to know those NTPs or happened to get hold of some bad ones.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Here is one possible case scenario:

The NF is more feelings oriented.
The NT is more intellectual oriented.
The NF mistakes the NT's intellectual debates as a cold expression of their true feelings, when in fact, the NT is only speaking theory.

" Verbally as well as cerebrally quick, ENTPs enjoy arguing: for its own sake, and to show off their impressive verbal skills. They often have a perverse sense of humour, and play devil's advocate regardless of consequence. They sometimes confuse, even hurt, those who cannot understand the concept of argument as a sport." -- ENTP.ORG

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As somewhat of a tangent:

Presuming that giving tacit approval of their likely natural tendency to use people as test subjects would make them less uncomfortable talking to me about what they had found out, because I was very interested in how a particular type did things, and thought that such a person was the only one who might know how to predict something like that.

At least with INTPs, remember that the best ones seem to make themselves the ultimate lab rat, even if they seem to sometimes treat others the same way. (Usually the desire to not dominate or intrude means they are reduced to putting THEMSELVES through the experiments, rather than someone else... at least, if it is intellectually feasible for the purposes of the experiment.)

As a crass and rather humorous example, Newton (regardless of his actual type) almost blinded himself experimenting with optics. An evil ExTx might have experimented on others; the INTP usually tries to just involve herself, if there is any long-term risk.

I admit to trying to figure out how the world works by watching people intensely, but it's not that I see them as "constructs" but simply that I have no other way to figure things out. So I am simultaneously aware of "Bob and Ted and Susie and Heather" as my friends and people as authentic of me, and I also aware of them as a collection of traits and desires and motivations and whatever else, bouncing through some sort of system (social, physical, etc.), able to be observed. It is both at once.

I also try not to push on people too much, if at all. I want to see what they do all on their own; manipulation seems to invalidate truth. I want to understand them, because I respect and care about them and truth.

To sum it up, "we're all lab rats in this cage."

OP: What ideal as an INTP do you adhere to that makes things different for you, in your opinion?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've known more NTP narcissists than I can shake a stick at. And further, I've had friends of other types admit the same NTP nastiness to them that the INFP spoke of (including my own ENFP sister who's just as smart or more so than the dismissive little anklebiter who turned on her).

Then again, that "bored" hostage-taking NTP behavior is so off balance and deserving of a kick to the head that I've seen other NTPs stand clear of it or offer to shake the offender until their teeth rattled.

[This isn't a sweeping condemnation of NTPs, nor is it an invitation to turn this thread into a NFJ-NTP bash-fest. Just responding to the OP.]

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hmm. I guess I think of society as a giant behavioral psychology experiment in a lot of ways. We are always giving each other positive and negative reinforcement. Unless manipulation is done pretty consciously it can be hard to tell exactly who is conditioning whom. To me, it's the dense people who keep doing things that don't work. I don't have the energy to be forever banging my head on the wall so I allow myself to be easily conditioned.

Is that anything like what you're talking about Jennifer?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think a certain level of narcissism is inevitable in a type that, by definition, spends most of their life being criticized and told they're bad/wrong/naughty/selfish/eccentric/antisocial/whatever... when all they're doing is just being themselves, thinking about things in a detached way that tends to elicit many an ear-clippable gaffe.

It's probably a combination of both trying to figure out what's so damned bad about yourself that people keep saying these things (and then getting stuck in self-analysis mode), as well as trying to find the good in yourself in order just to cope. And then, when you find it, wanting others to see it too, perhaps more so than other types because you're so used to them not seeing it.

I know an INTP who says that he has to big himself up all the time because nobody else will. He also says that he talks about himself because he hopes by explaining himself, he won't be so misunderstood. I sympathize with that... I talk about myself far more on these forums than in RL - in RL I've learned not to focus on myself but on other people as much as possible and it comes naturally now, and also to have more confidence in people to figure out for themselves and see good in you if it's there.

But obviously here, people can't just see the way I live and how I interact with people, and of course the nature of the board is that there are a lot of questions asked for people to answer about themselves. So it's different.

I don't see people as lab rats at all, but I relate to Jennifer's idea of seeing myself as one - for other people.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a certain level of narcissism is inevitable in a type that, by definition, spends most of their life being criticized and told they're bad/wrong/naughty/selfish/eccentric/antisocial/whatever... when all they're doing is just being themselves, thinking about things in a detached way that tends to elicit many an ear-clippable gaffe.

I found it interesting that one behavior system (I wish I could remember it) said that certain types were more prone to Narcissism by nature. I think mine was something along the lines of "massive oceanic blood-letting." Sanguinery prospect. Ick.

It's probably a combination of both trying to figure out what's so damned bad about yourself that people keep saying these things (and then getting stuck in self-analysis mode), as well as trying to find the good in yourself in order just to cope. And then, when you find it, wanting others to see it too, perhaps more so than other types because you're so used to them not seeing it.

I know an INTP who says that he has to big himself up all the time because nobody else will. He also says that he talks about himself because he hopes by explaining himself, he won't be so misunderstood. I sympathize with that... I talk about myself far more on these forums than in RL - in RL I've learned not to focus on myself but on other people as much as possible and it comes naturally now, and also to have more confidence in people to figure out for themselves and see good in you if it's there.

But obviously here, people can't just see the way I live and how I interact with people, and of course the nature of the board is that there are a lot of questions asked for people to answer about themselves. So it's different.

I don't see people as lab rats at all, but I relate to Jennifer's idea of seeing myself as one - for other people.

Very well put and insightful, dear Sub. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[This isn't a sweeping condemnation of NTPs, nor is it an invitation to turn this thread into a NFJ-NTP bash-fest. Just responding to the OP.]

Good. Because you're getting my hackles up, to be honest, with the strong unqualified commentary about NTPs that seems to assume your NFJ mindset is the best view out there.

(Many other NFJs on this board seem very capable of discussing NTPs without the strong inherent negativity or leaving me feeling agitated.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I admit to trying to figure out how the world works by watching people intensely, but it's not that I see them as "constructs" but simply that I have no other way to figure things out. So I am simultaneously aware of "Bob and Ted and Susie and Heather" as my friends and people as authentic of me, and I also aware of them as a collection of traits and desires and motivations and whatever else, bouncing through some sort of system (social, physical, etc.), able to be observed. It is both at once.

I also try not to push on people too much, if at all. I want to see what they do all on their own; manipulation seems to invalidate truth. I want to understand them, because I respect and care about them and truth.

To sum it up, "we're all lab rats in this cage."

What's interesting is that unlike the INFP, that wouldn't have bothered me so much. Personally, I wouldn't really want to be someone's friend and interact with/observe them for the sole purpose of analysis, but I don't have a problem with a person who would do such a thing. In fact, sometimes I have such a macabre interest in predicting other people's behavior that I would seek to learn of some of such a person's observations, especially if I were anxious about what a particular person might do next... although I wouldn't be willing to do that to someone myself. What does that mean?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good. Because you're getting my hackles up, to be honest, with the strong unqualified commentary about NTPs that seems to assume your NFJ mindset is the best view out there.

No, Jennifer. NO. And I won't be baited into assuaging your feelings on this matter. I've said nothing more or less reactionary to the OP than others. I've said how I've felt. I've heard worse about NFs when I first arrived, so please refrain from talking down to me about my tone. I've been attempting to make my self clear all along.

(Many other NFJs on this board seem very capable of discussing NTPs without the strong inherent negativity or leaving me feeling agitated.)

If that's all you get from every one of my 9 million posts here, that's just too damn bad. You don't have to like me. It's no skin off my teeth. You will NOT hang your agitation on me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That sounds right. It's not all inborn hubris -- it usually develops partly as a reaction to feeling criticized and smooshed by the external world.

And when people feel constantly pressured or criticized just because of who they are, they tend to either withdraw completely, ingratiate themselves, or push back with whatever tools are at their disposal.

Yes, partly it's a way to justify your own existence.

in RL I've learned not to focus on myself but on other people as much as possible and it comes naturally now, and also to have more confidence in people to figure out for themselves and see good in you if it's there.

It does take time to work through it. I still sense some narcissism in me that I want to get rid of, but it's just where I'm at. The more comfortable I get with myself and the less I feel I need to justify my existence, the easier it becomes to focus on others in an authentic way.

Anyway, not an excuse for some NT behavior (getting back to the OP). Sometimes we can definitely be jerks.

I don't see people as lab rats at all...

I was being a little flippant, I know. ;)

Really, though, one of my life missions is to 'experiment on myself' and so explore things, so that others can benefit from the information. Like Jodie Foster in "Contact," you know. :)

That perhaps is my guiding ideal. And so part of the ideal is that I am valuing others enough that I want them to know what I know.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I do observe sometimes other ENTP's doing something I'm prone to myself, which is to sorta get too involved in something and start spinning out of control, lashing out and doing everything they can think of to avert a crisis, not realizing that they're just making it worse and what they need to do is just stop, chill out and STFU.

When I do it, I'm very grateful when someone points it out, y'know, puts a hand on my shoulder and says "Sub, just breathe, ok? Count to ten... the sky is not going to fall down if you just stand aside and leave the levers alone..." so I try to do it for other ENTP's when I see them in that process.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Have you had similar experiences with such NTPs?
Yes, definitely one; possibly two, my uncertainty based on an indeterminate typing of the second individual. Similar behavior, however, may be possible with all IxxPs: the concrete pair will drift as soon as the dynamics and variety of physical experiences narrow, while the abstract pair will leave when their respective analyses are complete.

These are inclinations, of course. I would first implicate the individuals themselves.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This indignation by an anonymous INFP could not be any more pertinent.

"INTP and ENTP are my least favorite types -- I don't even like to be in the same room with these people. They seem to enjoy constant conflict. I've had several as close friends for a time, but when my intellectual appeal wore off they got nasty. From my experience, they are amoral, sadistic, colorless in personality with no concept of empathy. They seem like poorly designed simulacra of a human, inverted into constant self-worship. Their single-minded goal of 'appearing right' seems impossibly empty to me, not to mention dull and draining."
It sounds like the INFP encountered some rather unsavory people. IMO it is a significant mistake to project that onto NTPs in general. It is really unfortunate this INFP has had to encounter such disappointing experiences, although using NTP designation as a way to predict a subcategory of individuals who might repeat the behavior will probably not be a reliable predictor. The INFP will encounter more unsavory characters in life and there's a good chance it will be unexpected and different types.

I have found NTPs to have empathy. It tends to be from a different vantage point than my own and this is why I especially value their input. My experience is quite opposite to the descriptions there. In fact nearly all of my closest online friends, the ones I trust with my vulnerability, are NTPs (both ENTP and INTP). The ones I know generally require a lot of personal space, but I also require some and am accustomed to low pressure communication styles.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It sounds like the INFP encountered some rather unsavory people. IMO it is a significant mistake to project that onto NTPs in general.

Yes, it's understandable - I used to carry similarly awful prejudices against ExFJ's because I spent most of my life on the receiving end of three particularly unhealthy examples. Maybe the INFP BW was talking about in the OP will meet some nice NTP's one day and change their mind, like I changed mine :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, it's understandable - I used to carry similarly awful prejudices against ExFJ's because I spent most of my life on the receiving end of three particularly unhealthy examples. Maybe the INFP BW was talking about in the OP will meet some nice NTP's one day and change their mind, like I changed mine :)

I've valued every minute of knowing you. :yes: It's been my honor.