User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What exactly do they mean by "narcissism"? It just seems to me like they play mind games with people to entertain themselves while failing to consider how it makes the other people feel. What does that have to do with narcissism? I always thought that was someone who like to gaze at themselves in the mirror and appreciate their own beauty.

But I do think it's not a very nice way to be, to just trick people into thinking they're cared about for the sake of extracting information from and analyzing them. It's okay to research subjects in an experiment where they know that's what could happen to them before they enter the situation, but it's not okay to do that to people on a personal level in my opinion.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What exactly do they mean by "narcissism"?
    w/ regard to ntp's i read "narcissism" as either "self-aggrandizement" or "selfishness" however inaccurate those interpretations may be. not sure how other's view it but, that's my 2c.

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What exactly do they mean by "narcissism"?
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder is actually a real diagnosis..not just loving yourself. For sake of time and ease...this is the definition according to Wikipedia: "Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), is defined as a mental illness primarily characterized by extreme focus on oneself, and is a maladaptive, rigid, and persistent condition that may cause significant distress and functional impairment." It is more common in men, and unfortunately not really treatable or curable.

I don't if the other posters were using the phrase loosely, but my former INTP boyfriend was diagnosed by a psychologist working for the state of Nevada for a custody hearing.