User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAmerica View Post
    I have suffered classic migraines from the time I was three. They thought I had a brain tumor when they started because of the vomiting etc....however though testing found out it was migraines. Hormones and stress are both triggers for me.

Mine generally is the front left side of my head over my temple and eye. I am nauseated, light sensitive, sound sensitive.

It lasts about 24 hours..

For years there was no real relief, and I tried many things (medications/herbs/vitamins/avoidance)..
    Imitrex is indeed a life saver.

However, one thing I learned after going to a brilliant neurologist.......that a study done on migraine sufferers post mortem is a lack of magnesium. Also he said the B vitamins are vitally important.

I figured I would try it.....and I have nearly eliminated my migraines...(with the exception of post menstral).

I have cut my Imitrex usage down to one to two pills a month.

I dont know if this will work for everyone.......however, it did work for me.

*btw, the testing he did on me showed that I do have extremely high activity in my left temperal lobe. He said that it is common, and is the same in epileptic activity in the same part of the brain....it comes out in either a migraine or epilepsy in families.
    I will try increasing my magnesium.

My migraines last for 3 to 4 days. The migraine med will last about 18-24 hours, then I have to take another dose.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    As far as psyching up for exercise, I have found audiobooks to be quite helpful. It helps the time pass while I'm exercising and keeps my ever so dominant mind engaged.

If you go to the following website that have a whole bunch of public-domain free audiobooks (read by amateurs but still good).

LibriVox
    Thanks. That's a good idea.
    I'm a audio/visual learner, so I think that's why I enjoy video so much, too.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    How's about using a bicycle to get from A2B?

It's logical if the journey suits it. You can be morally superior, save money and get fit That way you're not "exercising" per se, you're getting around without polluting the planet, spending out of fuel etc etc.

I'm not sure but perhaps those European kinda lie down bikes would target your stomach muscles better? I'm no fitness guru but I reckon that should suit an NT better than the whole "I must do 20 of these a day....apparently".
    You're right about needing to be goal oriented.
    I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't think it works on the abs much at all.
    Not only that, but I live in the Northeast where my biggest goal in life is to not freeze to death.

I have seen "pwn" several times now. Do I dare ask what it stands for? If it's vulgar, don't tell me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    The migraines are a symptom, not the actual disease. At least this is the case with most hormone related migraines. For example, with menopause migraines the problem is too little estrogen in the brain, too much in the body - fix the imbalance, fix the migraine. This is also the most common cause of night sweats. In my case it was high prolactin, messing everything else up.
    ...N
    I don't trust medicine to mess with my hormones.
    It never fails that 20 years later, they say, "Oops. It causes cancer."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're right about needing to be goal oriented.
    I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't think it works on the abs much at all.
    Not only that, but I live in the Northeast where my biggest goal in life is to not freeze to death.

I have seen "pwn" several times now. Do I dare ask what it stands for? If it's vulgar, don't tell me.
    I'm surprised at you. I wouldn't put something vulgar up on a sig.
    It's a spelling error for own made popular by the first person shooter crowd.

As for keeping warm, would I be counted as being facetious if I said wear a coat?

How cold is cold? Are we talking arctic or just nippy?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I don't trust medicine to mess with my hormones.
    It never fails that 20 years later, they say, "Oops. It causes cancer."
    I believe that fresh air is next on that ever increasing list
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm surprised at you. I wouldn't put something vulgar up on a sig.
    Sorry, Luv. I haven't seen it in your sig. I have seen several people use it in posts.
    It's a spelling error for own made popular by the first person shooter crowd.
    Like when my kids declare, "Owned." ? Okay, I don't care for slang, but that's just ridiculous.

As for keeping warm, would I be counted as being facetious if I said wear a coat?

How cold is cold? Are we talking arctic or just nippy?
    Well, we're having a heat wave right now... it's 25 degrees. But it's been in the single digits for several days and the salt won't melt the ice in the roads.

MBTI
    INTJ

I believe that fresh air is next on that ever increasing list
    Not where I live.

Because of course, no one else wants to live here.

MBTI
    INTJ

As far as the psyche part, I had trouble working out regularly before I discovered how interesting podcasts can be. Audible.com is a great source for commercial podcasts (from major magazines, news sources, or audio books). --Charlie Rose and Scientific American are among my favorites here. Of course, there are several free podcasts to choose from, too, and NPR has a nice selection. In fact, Scientific American also has a great free podcast called "Science Talk."

Once I had found a few programs that I enjoyed, working out became much easier--still inconvenient at times--but much easier. As much I love the way I feel after a workout, I try to view the podcasts as my main motivation and the workout as something that happens to me along the way.

--That's just the psyche part. I'm not enough of a fitness guru to recommend exercises.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mparente View Post
    As far as the psyche part, I had trouble working out regularly before I discovered how interesting podcasts can be. Audible.com is a great source for commercial podcasts (from major magazines, news sources, or audio books). --Charlie Rose and Scientific American are among my favorites here. Of course, there are several free podcasts to choose from, too, and NPR has a nice selection. In fact, Scientific American also has a great free podcast called "Science Talk."

Once I had found a few programs that I enjoyed, working out became much easier--still inconvenient at times--but much easier. As much I love the way I feel after a workout, I try to view the podcasts as my main motivation and the workout as something that happens to me along the way.

--That's just the psyche part. I'm not enough of a fitness guru to recommend exercises.
    Thank you. I agree that listening to something to stimulate my mind is definitely helpful in taking my mind off the mundane physical movements required.