• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are all NTs good at math?

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Rid me of the stereotype.

Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?

Perhaps I should JFGI. *shrugs*

G

Glycerine

Nah, I know a couple ENTJs that struggle w/math. I, as an ENFJ, can grasp math much better than them. One of them is struggling to get a C in Algebra+Geometry. I know this is purely anecdotal but it shows that NOT all NTs are good at math.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not *amazing* at math...but I am damn good at mental calculations and geometry and formula stuff and figuring out how to do math problems, instead of following those STUPID stupid rules :dry:

Okay, things I can figure out on my own...I don't like some formulas (had a hard time with acceleration and velocity)

F

figsfiggyfigs

Nahhh

I'm good with math when I study it and practice it. but Not "naturally" lol. I'm terrible with math!!!

G

Glycerine

Yeah, when someone asks If ALL ____ are good at this, there is a extremely slim chance that the statement is true.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ahaha, I failed calculus...but that's because I missed the absolutely most important class about the basics of...god I don't even know what they're called, but it's the rudiment of calculus, and I missed it because of a kidney infection. I was also horrible at algebra in high school too, if that answers your question.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In K-12, I was always the best student in the class at math. 99th percentile on national tests, blah, blah, blah. Then, when it came to applying to grad school, I took tests like the GRE and GMAT and scored in the low 700's on these tests. If I remember correctly, that converts to something like the 85th percentile. That's still good, but it's safe to say that there are a lot of people out there that are quite a bit better at math than I am.

When I was a kid, I asked someone what the point of calculus was. The person said, "you already know how to find the volume of a circle and the volume of a triangle, right? Well, what if you needed to find the volume of a strawberry?"

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Trigonometry can be used to measure resistance, voltage and current in electronics, for example.

Example: Voltage = Current divided by Resistance.

Any of these are equal to the other two divided. It's called Ohm's Law.

I do not want to say that i'm good at math, because it does not interest me beyond what's useful, really.
And I can say that's not a whole lot... I'm really quick with mental calculation.
In fact, I forgot how to do it on paper after I turned 15 and went all the way through the rest of school without doing many calculations on paper at all.
Sometimes I used a calculator, but those were for pretty extreme stuff.
I'm just a practical user, really.

I was going to flunk ninth grade math when I was fifteen, because I had been sitting all the lesson time in a separate room drawing pictures and talking to an ISTP that was equally disinterested.
When I found out I was going to flunk unless I got the equivalent of a B+ on the national exam (nationwide test) in the spring, I took the math book home and studied for nine hours straight.
I got an A :D

So, personally, i'd say that i'm just not all that interested in math.
In fact, I **cking hate it, but i'm sort of good at it if I focus on doing it instead of drawing or writing stuff.

I'd say that i'm linguistically gifted (don't judge me by my English, even if it's better than many native speaker's written language), my native language is Swedish.
I would also say that most NT's are logically inclined. Notice I did not say talented, because many NT's are in short just retarded when it comes to reasoning, they just try to do it more often than the rest of the populace.
Oh, God, i'm being horrible now, am I not?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wait, what? Circles have volume? :alttongue:

Ha ha!! Good catch. Area. Volume. Circumference. Radius. Diameter. It's all the same thing. No wonder I'm no longer 99th percentile.

Square Circle

MBTI Type
INTP
I usually understand the concepts easily; creating models for specific problems is particularly enjoyable. However, I am inept at actually doing the calculations and remembering specific rules and where they apply.

The only "math" I've come close to mastering is formal logic: sentential, predicate, some systems of modal, and modal predicate, but I haven't used any of these recently, and I've probably forgotten most of it.

capricorn009

What's saved my butt has been being able to be aware of my own strengths
and weaknesses and be able to tell people what I know as well as what I don't.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I posted this up on my FB in my Int. Algebra class from my iPhone earlier today.

I was distracted like hell with something else in mind:

hahagz.jpg

I'll give you a hint: I "set" it wrong twice.

:)

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

Not all NT's are good at math, no, but they're more likely to appreciate it for its' purpose.

Calculus and trig suck though; they are used to draw a curve on a graph. If yeu don't have graph paper, then yeu don't need it. And a computer does the same thing better anyway.

I loved algebra because it had such useful application all the time... calculus I got bored of and didn't do well in since there was no purpose behind it. Yay waste of my time to learn this crap. Yes, it's complex, but no, it has no value on day to day life. Yeu will NEVER need calculus unless yeu're plotting a curve on a graph, because all it's used for is to define a value which changes in a non-linear, yet still predictable way.

If yeu're not a physicist, working with maps, or trying to figure out some really complex stuff, it's not useful, and 95% of the world's population will have absolutely zero use for it.

The only reason they teach it in high school, that I can figure, is to make it so the people who are considering classes related to that in university will realize it sucks and back out early.