• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are all NTs good at math?

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why?
I'm hostile commensurate with the magnitude or degree to which you apperceive that theme.

I'm teasing.
Of course it's possible that the OP has a mastery of both Trig and Calculus.
And she could be fishing for applications and/or uses of both.
But it kinda takes the fun out of teasing to let somebody KNOW you're only teasing ... doesn't it?

Why so hostile about my would-be hostility?
Can you use calculus to integrate the area under my apparent-hostility curve?
Does me teasing seem `positive' or `negative' -- sans magnitude irrespective of baseline or target goal?

I'm not hostile just curious... and in my opinion your teasing seems strange.

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not hostile just curious... and in my opinion your teasing seems strange.

Thank you!
I wasn't trying for conventional, typical, or normal.
Strange will do quite nicely, thanks.

Do you suppose an NF has ever come up with a mathematics of emotions?
Or a logic of harmonic relations?
Or a calculus of The Divine?
Or a geometry of Gaia?
Or a topology of women as the only works of art?

NFs tend to prefer Word Magic over the non-magic of quantity and quality ... from my experience.
And when they do get into math it tends to involve people.
You can find NFs tutoring and teaching PEOPLE about math.
Those who can do ... do.
And the doing they do is relating with math as a carrier wave.

I've long said that the problem with math is that it's taught by mathematicians.
I now realize I was omitting the math qua `math' taught by NF pedagogues, tutors, and teachers.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you!

Or a geometry of Gaia?

NFs tend to prefer Word Magic over the non-magic of quantity and quality ... from my experience.
Those who can do ... do.

I've long said that the problem with math is that it's taught by mathematicians.
I now realize I was omitting the math qua `math' taught by NF pedagogues, tutors, and teachers.

well I'm not a philosophical person, so I have no idea... and I think I might actually spontaneously combust if forced to try to stack all NFs in the same basket (whilst attempting to philosophize no less) - so I think I'll have to pass. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not good at math, and I hate doing it. I didn't mind Trigonometry that much, for some reason. But I still mostly hate math, and have mostly forgotten everything I knew about it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Thank you!

Or a geometry of Gaia?

Those who can do ... do.

Yeah, seriously, this stuff is insanity. You are probably stuck in the "type everyone who can do math/are smart as NT, type all the word people as NF, the artists as SP and the uptight people as SJ." So everyone you know who can't do math magically isn't NT.

Although I must admit that an NF started this thread. :doh:

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like how lively this thread is! :D

I tutor algebra and geometry. Just started about 6 months ago. I have an easier time with algebra, though. Everything you need to know to solve the problem is all right there. With geometry I find that I just need to brush up once in a while, that's all. Then I'm pretty solid on it.

I asked about trig and calc to see if they indeed do have practical applications. Everybody seems to hate the subjects. Also, I wanted to know if they're worth taking, in order to expand my client base and teaching abilities. *shrug* I'm just curious, that's all.

Carry on.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In terms of practical applications I think it goes Linear Algebra > Calculus > General Algebra as the most useful.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always liked math in terms of how mumbers work (and was really into polygons when I was about 12), but where I got hung up was that I did not like doing the work with the rules and formulas. I enjoyed geometry and trigonometry, and even to some extent, algebra, though dreaded stuff like quadratic equations. Too many steps and such. Tedious work.

In college, I failed calculus, though I liked the concepts. But then, I was going through a lot then, and couldn't concentrate on much of anything. (The only A I got was music appreciation!) After I dropped out, I still had my calculus book, and planned to go back over it and learn it at my own pace, but never stuck to it.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In general I hate math. For the most part it was a big waste of time. Essentially a door keeper to keep certain people out of academia. I usually love theory but most math was so removed from practical application that I found it worthless and boring. Who really is standing on a train waiting for another train from different cities heading toward each other at different speeds and when and where do they meet. Real world trains just are not that reliable.

"Math For Liberal Arts" however was a kinda fun class taught in college by an attorney where we talked about the lottery odds, horse racing/gambling, and paradoxes/logic games (i.e. the prisoners dilemma).

"Real Estate Finance" wasn't bad because it extended out of theory into real world applications.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm shit at maths. Case closed. ;)

Essentially, the logic and method required for it I don't grasp as quickly as some of my peers (it's why I avoid logic wherever possible when studying philosophy). I'm more of a "word person"; I shine at literature, linguistics etc.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ah, no. I'm better at physical sciences involving cause-and-effect, as well as equation application than concepts that constantly have the rules rewritten.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wha--

Why all the math hate? :cry: Math is beautiful!

"The mathematician does not study pure mathematics because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it and he delights in it because it is beautiful."

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Turtle Geometry as a means of exploring trig and calculus? Sculptural math?

I like how lively this thread is! :D

I tutor algebra and geometry.
Just started about 6 months ago.
I have an easier time with algebra, though.
Everything you need to know to solve the problem is all right there.
With geometry I find that I just need to brush up once in a while, that's all. Then I'm pretty solid on it.

I asked about trig and calc to see if they indeed do have practical applications.
Everybody seems to hate the subjects.
Also, I wanted to know if they're worth taking, in order to expand my client base and teaching abilities. *shrug*
I'm just curious, that's all.

Carry on.

Ahhh ... well why didn't you just say SO? :cheese:

With how many forms of Geometry are you familiar?
Have you every heard of `Turtle Geometry' or `Turtle Graphics'?
Turtle Geometry - The MIT Press
Turtle graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about polygonal chains?
Polygonal chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you suppose a polygonal chain could be used to draw trigons, trilaterals, or -- gasp -- `triangles' ... or a connected series of triangles?

How about using a polygonal chain to draw a 3-sided `hedron' or perhaps 4 of these to produce a 3-dimensiaonal 4-hedron ... tetrahedron?

Every seen `math' in sculptural form?
I've exhibited an object made of nothing but equilateral trigons formed into tetrahedrons which are formed into decahedrons which are then formed into a dodecahedron ... wherein each `lateral'/side is really a hollow-shafted cotton swab.

I've also exhibited `regular solids' approximated by joining together hula hoops.
Regular Solids

Here's something my friend, Pavel, produced after receiving a picture I sent him of a dodecaHulaHoop `sculpture'.
http://www.elica.net/site/museum/Hoola Hoops.jpg

And yes, there are more math-oriented pics to be seen at that site.
Elica Museum

So ... what might you discover or learn to motivate you better learn Trigonometry and/or `The Calculus'?
What might inspire you?

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
well I'm not a philosophical person, so I have no idea... and I think I might actually spontaneously combust if forced to try to stack all NFs in the same basket (whilst attempting to philosophize no less) - so I think I'll have to pass. :)

Ahhh ... though the OP stacked all the NTs in the same basket via the phrase `all NTs'.
Did you spontaneously combust as you read the question?
Most peculiar.

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, seriously, this stuff is insanity.
You are probably stuck in the "type everyone who can do math/are smart as NT, type all the word people as NF, the artists as SP and the uptight people as SJ." So everyone you know who can't do math magically isn't NT.

Although I must admit that an NF started this thread. :doh:

It was an NF who posed the silliness and all-inclusiveness of the form all <Kersian Temperament type>'s and no one overtly responded to that.
So NOW you're getting huffy about stereotyping? :workout:

I have a pair of INTP friends married to each other.
They both play music.
One of them self-labels `math tard'.

My brother is an ENTP and did much better grade-wise in highschool than I.
He boards airline passangers for a living ... doesn't use his ability to `do math'.
I've used math professionally through computer programming.
I've re-packaged `math' as art ... and gotten away with it.
I've discussed math-related topics on web groups.

Are there any across-the-board stereotypes which hold for NTs ... or NFs?
I believe that only the NTs pump blood and breathe.
What you ENFP bloodless -- or blood-licking :hi: -- freaks do which is different from NTs is anybody's guess :huh:

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wha--

Why all the math hate? :cry: Math is beautiful!

"The mathematician does not study pure mathematics because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it and he delights in it because it is beautiful."

The 5w4 lover-of-beauty perhaps.

v--- from 5-Enneagram Type Five | AllPersonality.com

People Of this subtype are more emotional and introverted than Fives with a Six-wing, although paradoxically, they tend to be more sociable than the other subtype. As a result of their Four component, they are also more interested in the personal and intrapsychic. The two types also have some significant differences in their approach. Fives are cerebral, holding experience at arms length, while Fours internalize everything to intensify their felling. Despite these differences - or because of them - these two personality types make one of the richest subtypes, combining possibilities for outstanding artistic as well as intellectual achievement.

In healthy people of this subtype, we find the union of intuition and knowledge, sensitivity and insight, aesthetic appreciation and intellectual endowments. Fives with a Four-wing are likely to be involved in the arts as writers, directors, designers, musicians, composers, choreographers, and so forth. This subtype has been somewhat overlooked in many descriptions of Fives because they do not fit the stereotype of the academic/scientific Five (the Five with a Six-wing). This subtype is more synthetic in its thinking pulling things together and seeking out new ways of looking at things. Also, Fives with a Four wing are drawn to those areas in which there is less emphasis on experimentation and data collection than on intuition and comprehensive vision. This subtype is particularly aware of - and on the lookout for the - beauty in a mathematical formula for example. For this subtype beauty is one of the indications of truth, because the order which beauty represents is a confirmation of the objective rightness of an idea.

^--- from 5-Enneagram Type Five | AllPersonality.com

Yes, we 5w4 types can experience what others call `math' as beautiful.
While the SJs and pragmatists of the world look for utility to justify the for-them `chore' of doing math the 5w4 may be having an aesthetic experience.

I wish I had tallied up all the hours I've (mis)spent playing with Collatz Conjecture.
Collatz conjecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No accounting for taste ... is there?

Daedalus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Rid me of the stereotype.

Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?

Perhaps I should JFGI. *shrugs*

I'm good at math but not really good though. I study hard before each exam so i do well on it...but lose my edge right after the exam...and have to study hard again for the next one. Its almost like the Tangent curve.with the asymptote being the exam date, and the curve being the math-knowledge :D.lol

image029.jpg

however, im able to find an answer to most puzzles...and or math problems through intuition??? even though i might have a hard time proving it. this does not, of course, include answers which are heavily numeric.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/30953-how-do-you-think-through-8.html

^^ The answer for this puzzle popped up for me in about 2 seconds after i read it...but i had to then try plugging in values to that theory to prove to myself that it works. I don't know if this is the work of introverted intuition, but i have the same feeling of the answer popping up, when playing really complex strategy games.

Maybe its about seeing the big picture, but getting bogged down when it comes to details. i donno.

Ps: i hate math though....just cos one's good at something does not mean he/she has to like it :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, we 5w4 types can experience what others call `math' as beautiful.
While the SJs and pragmatists of the world look for utility to justify the for-them `chore' of doing math the 5w4 may be having an aesthetic experience.
The NT's or 5w6's enjoy the thrill of problem solving, relevant or no. Of course, elegance is next to efficiency, and has a beauty of its own.