User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ah, no. I'm better at physical sciences involving cause-and-effect, as well as equation application than concepts that constantly have the rules rewritten.
    INTP,
    Neutral Good/Lawful Good even split. 5w4 sp/sx melancholic/supine, even split. Yes, I stole this method of placement from black cat.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Wha--

Why all the math hate? Math is beautiful!

"The mathematician does not study pure mathematics because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it and he delights in it because it is beautiful."
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by paradox fox View Post
    Rid me of the stereotype.

Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?

Perhaps I should JFGI. *shrugs*
    SJs are good.
    At math and other things.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Turtle Geometry as a means of exploring trig and calculus? Sculptural math?

I like how lively this thread is!

I tutor algebra and geometry.
    Just started about 6 months ago.
    I have an easier time with algebra, though.
    Everything you need to know to solve the problem is all right there.
    With geometry I find that I just need to brush up once in a while, that's all. Then I'm pretty solid on it.

I asked about trig and calc to see if they indeed do have practical applications.
    Everybody seems to hate the subjects.
    Also, I wanted to know if they're worth taking, in order to expand my client base and teaching abilities. *shrug*
    I'm just curious, that's all.

Carry on.
    Ahhh ... well why didn't you just say SO?

With how many forms of Geometry are you familiar?
    Have you every heard of `Turtle Geometry' or `Turtle Graphics'?
    Turtle Geometry - The MIT Press
    Turtle graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about polygonal chains?
    Polygonal chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you suppose a polygonal chain could be used to draw trigons, trilaterals, or -- gasp -- `triangles' ... or a connected series of triangles?

How about using a polygonal chain to draw a 3-sided `hedron' or perhaps 4 of these to produce a 3-dimensiaonal 4-hedron ... tetrahedron?

Every seen `math' in sculptural form?
    I've exhibited an object made of nothing but equilateral trigons formed into tetrahedrons which are formed into decahedrons which are then formed into a dodecahedron ... wherein each `lateral'/side is really a hollow-shafted cotton swab.

I've also exhibited `regular solids' approximated by joining together hula hoops.
    Regular Solids

Here's something my friend, Pavel, produced after receiving a picture I sent him of a dodecaHulaHoop `sculpture'.
    http://www.elica.net/site/museum/Hoola%20Hoops.jpg

And yes, there are more math-oriented pics to be seen at that site.
    Elica Museum

So ... what might you discover or learn to motivate you better learn Trigonometry and/or `The Calculus'?
    What might inspire you?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    well I'm not a philosophical person, so I have no idea... and I think I might actually spontaneously combust if forced to try to stack all NFs in the same basket (whilst attempting to philosophize no less) - so I think I'll have to pass.
    Ahhh ... though the OP stacked all the NTs in the same basket via the phrase `all NTs'.
    Did you spontaneously combust as you read the question?
    Most peculiar.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm not good at math, and I hate doing it. I didn't mind Trigonometry that much, for some reason. But I still mostly hate math, and have mostly forgotten everything I knew about it.
    Is that you playing a guitar?
    You never noticed the math in music?

How about this?
    The Fibonacci in Lateralus
    YouTube - The Fibonacci in Lateralus

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Yeah, seriously, this stuff is insanity.
    You are probably stuck in the "type everyone who can do math/are smart as NT, type all the word people as NF, the artists as SP and the uptight people as SJ." So everyone you know who can't do math magically isn't NT.

Although I must admit that an NF started this thread.
    It was an NF who posed the silliness and all-inclusiveness of the form all <Kersian Temperament type>'s and no one overtly responded to that.
    So NOW you're getting huffy about stereotyping? :workout:

I have a pair of INTP friends married to each other.
    They both play music.
    One of them self-labels `math tard'.

My brother is an ENTP and did much better grade-wise in highschool than I.
    He boards airline passangers for a living ... doesn't use his ability to `do math'.
    I've used math professionally through computer programming.
    I've re-packaged `math' as art ... and gotten away with it.
    I've discussed math-related topics on web groups.

Are there any across-the-board stereotypes which hold for NTs ... or NFs?
    I believe that only the NTs pump blood and breathe.
    What you ENFP bloodless -- or blood-licking -- freaks do which is different from NTs is anybody's guess

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    Wha--

Why all the math hate? Math is beautiful!

"The mathematician does not study pure mathematics because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it and he delights in it because it is beautiful."
    The 5w4 lover-of-beauty perhaps.

v--- from 5-Enneagram Type Five | AllPersonality.com

People Of this subtype are more emotional and introverted than Fives with a Six-wing, although paradoxically, they tend to be more sociable than the other subtype. As a result of their Four component, they are also more interested in the personal and intrapsychic. The two types also have some significant differences in their approach. Fives are cerebral, holding experience at arms length, while Fours internalize everything to intensify their felling. Despite these differences - or because of them - these two personality types make one of the richest subtypes, combining possibilities for outstanding artistic as well as intellectual achievement.

In healthy people of this subtype, we find the union of intuition and knowledge, sensitivity and insight, aesthetic appreciation and intellectual endowments. Fives with a Four-wing are likely to be involved in the arts as writers, directors, designers, musicians, composers, choreographers, and so forth. This subtype has been somewhat overlooked in many descriptions of Fives because they do not fit the stereotype of the academic/scientific Five (the Five with a Six-wing). This subtype is more synthetic in its thinking pulling things together and seeking out new ways of looking at things. Also, Fives with a Four wing are drawn to those areas in which there is less emphasis on experimentation and data collection than on intuition and comprehensive vision. This subtype is particularly aware of - and on the lookout for the - beauty in a mathematical formula for example. For this subtype beauty is one of the indications of truth, because the order which beauty represents is a confirmation of the objective rightness of an idea.

^--- from 5-Enneagram Type Five | AllPersonality.com

Yes, we 5w4 types can experience what others call `math' as beautiful.
    While the SJs and pragmatists of the world look for utility to justify the for-them `chore' of doing math the 5w4 may be having an aesthetic experience.

I wish I had tallied up all the hours I've (mis)spent playing with Collatz Conjecture.
    Collatz conjecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No accounting for taste ... is there?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Rid me of the stereotype.

Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?

Perhaps I should JFGI. *shrugs*
    I'm good at math but not really good though. I study hard before each exam so i do well on it...but lose my edge right after the exam...and have to study hard again for the next one. Its almost like the Tangent curve.with the asymptote being the exam date, and the curve being the math-knowledge .lol

however, im able to find an answer to most puzzles...and or math problems through intuition??? even though i might have a hard time proving it. this does not, of course, include answers which are heavily numeric.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...through-8.html

^^ The answer for this puzzle popped up for me in about 2 seconds after i read it...but i had to then try plugging in values to that theory to prove to myself that it works. I don't know if this is the work of introverted intuition, but i have the same feeling of the answer popping up, when playing really complex strategy games.

Maybe its about seeing the big picture, but getting bogged down when it comes to details. i donno.

Ps: i hate math though....just cos one's good at something does not mean he/she has to like it
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    Yes, we 5w4 types can experience what others call `math' as beautiful.
    While the SJs and pragmatists of the world look for utility to justify the for-them `chore' of doing math the 5w4 may be having an aesthetic experience.
    The NT's or 5w6's enjoy the thrill of problem solving, relevant or no. Of course, elegance is next to efficiency, and has a beauty of its own.