User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    Why?
    I'm hostile commensurate with the magnitude or degree to which you apperceive that theme.

I'm teasing.
    Of course it's possible that the OP has a mastery of both Trig and Calculus.
    And she could be fishing for applications and/or uses of both.
    But it kinda takes the fun out of teasing to let somebody KNOW you're only teasing ... doesn't it?

Why so hostile about my would-be hostility?
    Can you use calculus to integrate the area under my apparent-hostility curve?
    Does me teasing seem `positive' or `negative' -- sans magnitude irrespective of baseline or target goal?
    I'm not hostile just curious... and in my opinion your teasing seems strange.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    I'm not hostile just curious... and in my opinion your teasing seems strange.
    Thank you!
    I wasn't trying for conventional, typical, or normal.
    Strange will do quite nicely, thanks.

Do you suppose an NF has ever come up with a mathematics of emotions?
    Or a logic of harmonic relations?
    Or a calculus of The Divine?
    Or a geometry of Gaia?
    Or a topology of women as the only works of art?

NFs tend to prefer Word Magic over the non-magic of quantity and quality ... from my experience.
    And when they do get into math it tends to involve people.
    You can find NFs tutoring and teaching PEOPLE about math.
    Those who can do ... do.
    And the doing they do is relating with math as a carrier wave.

I've long said that the problem with math is that it's taught by mathematicians.
    I now realize I was omitting the math qua `math' taught by NF pedagogues, tutors, and teachers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Thank you!

Or a geometry of Gaia?

NFs tend to prefer Word Magic over the non-magic of quantity and quality ... from my experience.
    Those who can do ... do.

I've long said that the problem with math is that it's taught by mathematicians.
    I now realize I was omitting the math qua `math' taught by NF pedagogues, tutors, and teachers.
    well I'm not a philosophical person, so I have no idea... and I think I might actually spontaneously combust if forced to try to stack all NFs in the same basket (whilst attempting to philosophize no less) - so I think I'll have to pass.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not good at math, and I hate doing it. I didn't mind Trigonometry that much, for some reason. But I still mostly hate math, and have mostly forgotten everything I knew about it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Thank you!

Or a geometry of Gaia?

Those who can do ... do.

Yeah, seriously, this stuff is insanity. You are probably stuck in the "type everyone who can do math/are smart as NT, type all the word people as NF, the artists as SP and the uptight people as SJ." So everyone you know who can't do math magically isn't NT.

Although I must admit that an NF started this thread.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I like how lively this thread is!

I tutor algebra and geometry. Just started about 6 months ago. I have an easier time with algebra, though. Everything you need to know to solve the problem is all right there. With geometry I find that I just need to brush up once in a while, that's all. Then I'm pretty solid on it.

I asked about trig and calc to see if they indeed do have practical applications. Everybody seems to hate the subjects. Also, I wanted to know if they're worth taking, in order to expand my client base and teaching abilities. *shrug* I'm just curious, that's all.

Carry on.
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

In terms of practical applications I think it goes Linear Algebra > Calculus > General Algebra as the most useful.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I always liked math in terms of how mumbers work (and was really into polygons when I was about 12), but where I got hung up was that I did not like doing the work with the rules and formulas. I enjoyed geometry and trigonometry, and even to some extent, algebra, though dreaded stuff like quadratic equations. Too many steps and such. Tedious work.

In college, I failed calculus, though I liked the concepts. But then, I was going through a lot then, and couldn't concentrate on much of anything. (The only A I got was music appreciation!) After I dropped out, I still had my calculus book, and planned to go back over it and learn it at my own pace, but never stuck to it.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

In general I hate math. For the most part it was a big waste of time. Essentially a door keeper to keep certain people out of academia. I usually love theory but most math was so removed from practical application that I found it worthless and boring. Who really is standing on a train waiting for another train from different cities heading toward each other at different speeds and when and where do they meet. Real world trains just are not that reliable.

"Math For Liberal Arts" however was a kinda fun class taught in college by an attorney where we talked about the lottery odds, horse racing/gambling, and paradoxes/logic games (i.e. the prisoners dilemma).

"Real Estate Finance" wasn't bad because it extended out of theory into real world applications.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm shit at maths. Case closed.

Essentially, the logic and method required for it I don't grasp as quickly as some of my peers (it's why I avoid logic wherever possible when studying philosophy). I'm more of a "word person"; I shine at literature, linguistics etc.