First 891011 Last

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

To put it another way, on my SATs I got about close to 800 on the verbal part (100% in analogies), and... I don't know. Maybe 475 in math? I know I got 1270, and I got less than 500 in math. So, er, do the calculation.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would consider myself to have quite a solid grasp on mathematical reasoning, but my strengths have always lied in verbal intelligence, i.e. verbal IQ.

Mathematics, as it is typically taught in our "educational" systems, always struck me as extremely rote, with a great focus on the technical aspect and little on mathematical theory, which, I suppose, applies to every other subject as well. Once I understand how the details fit into a larger whole, I develop an entire inner structure that allows me to quickly compute and relate the purely technical aspects of a subject. This is why I have always focused on learning from the outside in, and started probability theory and statistics by understanding the basic concept behind both, and only once I've understood this did I begin to learn the actual math attached to the theory. I find that this system allows me to learn quickly and efficiently.

But, I can't be certain. I'm a genius, so I don't know if this applies to other NTs.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    To put it another way, on my SATs I got about close to 800 on the verbal part (100% in analogies), and... I don't know. Maybe 475 in math? I know I got 1270, and I got less than 500 in math. So, er, do the calculation.
    Not to shovel earth on your fire, but the SAT tests material which most people with average IQs can learn, and I wouldn't consider such scholastic tests to be reliable gauges of intelligence. I have known people who weren't the brightest of the bunch, but managed to increase their ACT/SAT scores drastically (ten points or above on the ACT; hundred or above on SAT) through simple study nonetheless. They are no longer acceptable entrance materials into the prominent high IQ societies, as far as I know.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    I would consider myself to have quite a solid grasp on mathematical reasoning, but my strengths have always lied in verbal intelligence, i.e. verbal IQ.

Mathematics, as it is typically taught in our "educational" systems, always struck me as extremely rote, with a great focus on the technical aspect and little on mathematical theory, which, I suppose, applies to every other subject as well. Once I understand how the details fit into a larger whole, I develop an entire inner structure that allows me to quickly compute and relate the purely technical aspects of a subject. This is why I have always focused on learning from the outside in, and started probability theory and statistics by understanding the basic concept behind both, and only once I've understood this did I begin to learn the actual math attached to the theory. I find that this system allows me to learn quickly and efficiently.

But, I can't be certain. I'm a genius, so I don't know if this applies to other NTs.
    I was the same way.

I am not a genius

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEE

I wouldn't say I am particularly gifted at math and I am more adept at languages, humanities, social sciences, and so forth.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Trigonometry studies the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

It's very useful when measuring distances, like in geography and astronomy and in satellite systems. It also has a lot of implications on light and sound waves.

Fields that use trigonometry:

astronomy (essential for locating apparent positions of celestial objects)
    navigation (on the oceans, in aircraft, and in space)
    music theory
    acoustics
    optics
    analysis of financial markets
    electronics
    probability theory
    statistics
    biology
    medical imaging (CAT scans and ultrasound)
    pharmacy
    chemistry
    number theory (and hence cryptology)
    seismology
    meteorology
    oceanography
    many physical sciences
    land surveying and geodesy
    architecture
    phonetics
    economics
    electrical engineering
    mechanical engineering
    civil engineering
    computer graphics
    cartography
    crystallography
    game development.

Calculus is the study of change, in the same way that geometry is the study of shape and algebra is the study of operations.

It is very important in studying things like acceleration, which is the rate of change of speed. It has widespread applications in science, economics, and engineering and can solve many problems for which algebra alone is insufficient.

Calculus is used in every branch of the physical sciences, actuarial science, computer science, statistics, engineering, economics, business, medicine, demography, and in other fields wherever a problem can be mathematically modeled and an optimal solution is desired. It allows one to go from (non-constant) rates of change to the total change or vice versa, and many times in studying a problem we know one and are trying to find the other.
    I enjoy mathematics when it applies to solving something real. I don't believe my maths teacher at high school enjoyed Maths as he certainly wasn't inspirational.

By today's standards I would probably be considered "good" at maths where I need to apply it. It has stood me in good stead for studying electronics, radio frequency wavelength theory, computing, and the digital graphics and publishing practise I teach.

Thanks for placing Graphics on this list. In development of Graphics and Publication Design we constantly use tangents, xy coords, and axes among other maths required. I teach binary as a matter of course, and its relationship to bit depth in images, storage, processing speed and memory to Design students as well as to Trades Apprentices in Printing and PrePress.

Most are actually delighted that after a week they can interpret a computer specs sheet and understand what RAM, MHz, and storage specs are

What surprises me is that so few high school students realise the extent that an understanding of mathematics is essential to working within the graphic arts industry now. You would be shocked at the number of high school leavers I have who don't know how many degrees there are in a circle nor how to divide it evenly, or for that matter what a circumference, radius or diameter is.

This is so profoundly missing en masse that we now have to incorporate these fundamental concepts into new post K12 learning resources!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm good at math until my interest in the subject stops.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    Wait, what? Circles have volume?
    No, but cools/balls do.
    INxJ
    Enneagram 5
    RLOEI, Inquisitive

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I'm good at math-math (trig, algebra, calculus, geometry etc), but I failed my Intermediate Accounting class, and got a C the second time around after killing myself for it.

It's weird that I was always at the top of my actual math classes, but at the bottom of my Accounting classes. Does this count as being bad at a "math" class, because it's the rules/regulations I had trouble with...

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm pretty good in math, but usually I am not motivated to learn it unless I need it for something, such as figuring out an equation on how fast something can go, yada yada yada.

I'm pretty sure Newton originally created calculus to prove physics? Could be wrong though.
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?