• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Society's FP/TJ Stereotype

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hello, I've noticed that society's general expectations are that all Fs be Ps and that all Ts be Js, any advice on getting past that in any given areas? That is, functioning in a logical manner in a loose situation that expects feeling of you. Although this edit is most likely made while blind to a few replies, I'd also like to use this form to discuss the reasons for said stereotype.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've never really thought about that. how exactly have you felt that?

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
People seem to see either a "Vulcan" mentality, or a "Free Spirit" Mentality, and never leave any room for something like an "Odd Intellectual" or "Driven Planner" type of person. Sorry about the "Driven Planner" description, I couldn't think of any other way to hypothetically describe the concept of xxFJ

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I've never noticed those stereotypes personally.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah i don't see it either...you find it confuses people that you're a logical easy going person?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah i don't see it either...you find it confuses people that you're a logical easy going person?

I've never noticed those stereotypes personally.

People seem to see either a "Vulcan" mentality, or a "Free Spirit" Mentality, and never leave any room for something like an "Odd Intellectual" or "Driven Planner" type of person. Sorry about the "Driven Planner" description, I couldn't think of any other way to hypothetically describe the concept of xxFJ

i've never really thought about that. how exactly have you felt that?

I see what the OP is saying. I'll put in reverse though to make more sense:

"If you're very J...people assume you must be T"
"If you're very P...people assume you must be F"

I think people do often make these assumptions (coming from an XXFJ male). I'm guessing these assumptions exist because our culture likes to think of F as the irrational and scattered cognition, and that T is the orderly cognition. I also think that one of the criticisms of MBTI was that F and P, T and J were found to not be "statistically independent" variables like E/I were. Doesnt that just beg the question though: "what if FP and TJ are just more common, yet still independent????"

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Think psycho pass or parasyte

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Most of society doesn't know of the MBTI to start with.
But regardless, Ts are associated with Js because people misthink T means planning ahead, and F means being able to "perceive" feeligns.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
F means being able to "perceive" feeligns.

Eh? What does that have to do with a supposed "FP" stereotype? FJ types can also be very adept at reading feelings.

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Eh? What does that have to do with a supposed "FP" stereotype? FJ types can also be very adept at reading feelings.

You are misinterpreting my grammar.
I said people misunderstand F to be correlated with P because they think F means to "perceive feelings".
I did not said F is always related to P.
What part of it did you not understand?

/DG/

You are misinterpreting my grammar.
I said people misunderstand F to be correlated with P because they think F means to "perceive feelings".
I did not said F is always related to P.
What part of it did you not understand?

I'm not understanding why you think people would correlate perceiving something with MBTI's perception. The two are different concepts. I am not misinterpreting your grammar.

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'm not understanding why you think people would correlate perceiving something with MBTI's perception. The two are different concepts. I am not misinterpreting your grammar.

I think people will correlate feeling with perceiving because I suppose there's a stereotype that surrounds feelers that they are down to the moment, like perceivers, while thinkers will be correlated with judging because people think judging and thinking can be the same. It's that simple. I am merely in agreement with OP's point of view. Any questions?

/DG/

I think people will correlate feeling with perceiving because I suppose there's a stereotype that surrounds feelers that they are down to the moment, like perceivers, while thinkers will be correlated with judging because people think judging and thinking can be the same. It's that simple. I am merely in agreement with OP's point of view. Any questions?
I'm just confused here. Perceiving and judging do not mean what you are describing them to mean.

Secondly, OP is talking about in general society, not the MBTI community. I don't understand how people would have such a concept of perceiving and judging to begin with when they have never heard of MBTI.