Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Like that ever happens.
    Damn lawyers.... <grumble>
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Randomly during times when I've slowed down a bit and am not completely focused on something.

MBTI
    INTP

In the shower (and yes, it happens).

It got to the point that whenever I got stuck on something I think about it enough to fix it in my mind, then climbed into the shower. Really difficult problems might take several showers (limited hot water and all of that - my next major purchase will be a tankless hot water system).

I even went so far as to buy a pack of those bathtub crayons so I can jot down ideas or make sketches while in the shower. It has worked out fairly well, although they get more runny than I would like.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    In the shower (and yes, it happens). It got to the point that whenever I got stuck on something I think about it enough to fix it in my mind, then climbed into the shower. Really difficult problems might take several showers (limited hot water and all of that - my next major purchase will be a tankless hot water system).

I even went so far as to buy a pack of those bathtub crayons so I can jot down ideas or make sketches while in the shower. It has worked out fairly well, although they get more runny than I would like.
    lol, I forgot to mention the shower!

Great anecdote... and (take this however you'd like) it doesn't really surprise me at all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    In what moments and how did you get your best ideas in life?

For me, I find that my best ideas came from moments of strong introspection. Being alone from time to time was important as it allowed me to envision possibilities more easily. Another way I got good ideas was simply through debating with people about things... to the point where I would feel an "a-ha" moment and things would get clear.
    That sounds like manifest work of Ni. Mine come from solitary meditations where I keep on pondering things. At times I stop when I get the kind of an insight that I am currently satisfied with, yet I wouldnt leave it at that. I'd come back to it later on to see if I can think of something better. But my best ideas tend to come from my solitary meditations where I keep on arguing with myself. Though unlike an Ni, I can actually explain where my ideas came from and what their rivals were.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    In the shower (and yes, it happens).

It got to the point that whenever I got stuck on something I think about it enough to fix it in my mind, then climbed into the shower. Really difficult problems might take several showers (limited hot water and all of that - my next major purchase will be a tankless hot water system).

Um, what do you write on? The bathroom tiles? Got any pics?

Yeah, I do a lot of thinking/processing in the shower. The limiting factor is the guilt over using so much water/electricity.

Also, 4-fucking-am is when my brain seems to like to wake and think. It feels very clear at the time but by the time I wake up it's all fuzzy. Bleah.

I think when I'm doing something else. Or if someone has done a big braindump, I'll kind of switch off from them and think. Which disables the power of speech usually.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I get mine at the oddest moments as well.

Usually while walking/driving when I am not distracted by other people or music.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    In what moments and how did you get your best ideas in life?
    The moments where the dots connected in the right way at the right time. I think
    Steve Jobs describe the process very well in this speach.

MBTI
    INTP

The shower and standing in front of one of my bookcases.
    INTP 5W6