• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How does war work?

S

Sniffles

Western war mostly works like this:

713B7VZWCCL.gif

While Eastern war mostly works like this:

go.jpg

I believe the comparison is between chess and go, not Clausewitz and go. Then again the cliche of Western vs Eastern forms of warfare is overplayed.

Do you really find Clausewitz up-to-date?
Why wouldn't he? Certainly more up-to-date than Sun Tzu.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it works quite well.

The few get rich and the most get screwed.

Evolution at work.

Well then war and peace have alot in common then, don't they? :doh:

Sounds like that is a bit of reality more than anything...

I believe the comparison is between chess and go, not Clausewitz and go. Then again the cliche of Western vs Eastern forms of warfare is overplayed.

Bad ass INFJ stranglehold. :nice:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The twentieth century made them both outdated. The second world war does not conform to C's rules at all.

I believe the comparison is between chess and go

As in shorter or longer duration? Smaller or bigger battlefield? Assault or occupation? I don't get it.

S

Sniffles

The twentieth century made them both outdated.
Yes this has been a common cliche among many circles, like those advancing concepts like "Revolution in Military Affairs" (RMA) and even by otherwise decent military scholars like John Keegan and Martin Van Creveld. However, there are several issues they tend to overlook pertaining to the basic nature of Clausewitz's thought and how it applies to current battlefield situations.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
However, there are several issues they tend to overlook pertaining to the basic nature of Clausewitz's thought and how it applies to current battlefield situations.

Enlighten me. Reading Clausewitz was kinda enough, I'm not an expert of war.