• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Sleep - how does it work?

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
How do the rest of you NTs sleep?

I cannot for the life of me shut my thoughts up. My mind is constantly planning contingencies, analyzing behavior, figuring out problems, etc.

How do you stop it?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
JTHM.jpg

Unique

I don't have to stop it, I'm still thinking while falling asleep and never been a problem for me

Personality doesn't = Sleep problems

See a doctor

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
To get to sleep I normally just trick my brain into doing so; doesn't work if stressed all that well, but the idea is to actively start a dream while awake.

One of the best examples, and one I use when I'm really having problems sleeping usually, is to imagine trying to explain something simple at random, such as a tv, a watch, electricity, stuff like that, to someone from about the dark ages of europe without being burned as a witch.

To do so requires changing topic repeatedly to each new thing that needs explained, and has to be broken down into a simple enough manner that someone with no real knowledge at all can understand it.

Harder than it sounds but fairly entertaining and usually causes it to slip into just falling asleep and dreaming semi quickly. Usually takes about half an hour I find.

Yeu can't "NOT" think... or at least I can't XD Best I've found is being able to direct that line of thought into something that'll slip into dreaming easily.

moviconte

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to have this problem when I was younger, and I would tend to think about some sleep-inducing topic to try to fall asleep. (I think back then it involved imagining myself inflicted with great illness and then paralyzed on the bed) But nowadays when I crawl into bed, I'm extremely tired (I sleep far, far too late and too little), and so I fall asleep pretty quickly.

veins

Try making love to your pillow. It allows your thoughts to focus on one thing rather than wandering around and also, it lets you release any remaining energy inside of you.

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Try making love to your pillow. It allows your thoughts to focus on one thing rather than wandering around and also, it lets you release any remaining energy inside of you.

Wow. I don't believe there is anything else to be said.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I read myself to sleep. And I don't hump my pillow, but if it worked I would :p

veins

I read myself to sleep. And I don't hump my pillow, but if it worked I would :p
I would too, kill two birds with one stone. :cheese: :p I wasn't being serious with that though. But the idea behind my response was, which was that perhaps there were too many things going on at once in the mind, which might help if it's focused on one thing. I usually play Sudoku before going to sleep. I find that helps me out.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not an nt but i can't sleep either...reading sometimes helps or watching a nature show or something...but typically i just have to go to bed really late.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Not to be the new age weirdo in the room, but meditation* is pretty much designed for the express purpose of quieting or ignoring thoughts running through your head.

Here's the basic process: There are a bunch of things going through your head. Don't respond to them. That is, don't engage into them, just be aware of them. If you think of cats, just notice that you thought of cats, but try not to follow the tangent of cats. Just try to be quiet.

Naturally however, you're going to find yourself following some tangent. That's ok, just notice what's going on and try to get back to being quiet. You may have to remind yourself to be quiet many times. That's ok.

Over time it trains you to be able to control the flow better and pay more attention to what's going on in there.

It works, but you have to do it on a regular basis.

*There are different types of meditation. This is 'mindfullness' meditation. There are other kinds. Do some google searching. If you're just trying to get to sleep, don't worry about the postures and all that jazz.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Not to be the new age weirdo in the room, but meditation* is pretty much designed for the express purpose of quieting or ignoring thoughts running through your head.

Here's the basic process: There are a bunch of things going through your head. Don't respond to them. That is, don't engage into them, just be aware of them. If you think of cats, just notice that you thought of cats, but try not to follow the tangent of cats. Just try to be quiet.

Naturally however, you're going to find yourself following some tangent. That's ok, just notice what's going on and try to get back to being quiet. You may have to remind yourself to be quiet many times. That's ok.

Over time it trains you to be able to control the flow better and pay more attention to what's going on in there.

It works, but you have to do it on a regular basis.

*There are different types of meditation. This is 'mindfullness' meditation. There are other kinds. Do some google searching. If you're just trying to get to sleep, don't worry about the postures and all that jazz.

For some of us, this isn't realistically possible =3

I will NEVER be able to do whot yeu just suggested XD

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I find I started doing what seems like breath meditation. Just inhale/exhale and focus on that. I focus on that and how comfortable the bed is and I fall asleep rather quickly.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I take a melatonin supplement and read until my eyes are too tired to stay open or listen to an audiobook.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Ambien!!! With the occasional 'shot of Jack' kicker on those nights its not having much affect.:D

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I watch television to distract my mind. tv tends to send me asleep even if I wasn't tired to begin with. maybe it's the assualt on the underdeveloped senses...

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I take 3 Melatonin pills and listen to music.