123 Last

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Sleep - how does it work?

How do the rest of you NTs sleep?

I cannot for the life of me shut my thoughts up. My mind is constantly planning contingencies, analyzing behavior, figuring out problems, etc.

How do you stop it?

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't have to stop it, I'm still thinking while falling asleep and never been a problem for me

Personality doesn't = Sleep problems

See a doctor

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

To get to sleep I normally just trick my brain into doing so; doesn't work if stressed all that well, but the idea is to actively start a dream while awake.

One of the best examples, and one I use when I'm really having problems sleeping usually, is to imagine trying to explain something simple at random, such as a tv, a watch, electricity, stuff like that, to someone from about the dark ages of europe without being burned as a witch.

To do so requires changing topic repeatedly to each new thing that needs explained, and has to be broken down into a simple enough manner that someone with no real knowledge at all can understand it.

Harder than it sounds but fairly entertaining and usually causes it to slip into just falling asleep and dreaming semi quickly. Usually takes about half an hour I find.

Yeu can't "NOT" think... or at least I can't XD Best I've found is being able to direct that line of thought into something that'll slip into dreaming easily.

MBTI
    INTP

I used to have this problem when I was younger, and I would tend to think about some sleep-inducing topic to try to fall asleep. (I think back then it involved imagining myself inflicted with great illness and then paralyzed on the bed) But nowadays when I crawl into bed, I'm extremely tired (I sleep far, far too late and too little), and so I fall asleep pretty quickly.

Try making love to your pillow. It allows your thoughts to focus on one thing rather than wandering around and also, it lets you release any remaining energy inside of you.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by veins View Post
    Try making love to your pillow. It allows your thoughts to focus on one thing rather than wandering around and also, it lets you release any remaining energy inside of you.
    Wow. I don't believe there is anything else to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post
    Wow. I don't believe there is anything else to be said.
    Why not?

MBTI
    INTP

I read myself to sleep. And I don't hump my pillow, but if it worked I would :P
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I read myself to sleep. And I don't hump my pillow, but if it worked I would :P
    I would too, kill two birds with one stone. :P I wasn't being serious with that though. But the idea behind my response was, which was that perhaps there were too many things going on at once in the mind, which might help if it's focused on one thing. I usually play Sudoku before going to sleep. I find that helps me out.