• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Absorbing the MBTI?

Zer0

MBTI Type
INTP
Would it be possible to develop every letter in the MBTI so well that, in a sense, become IESNTFPJ? Not that I wanted to, INTP is as close to perfect as I wanna get, and I didn't even have to work for it...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
In my opinion, one's personal quest should not be to attempt to develop every function until they're able to more or less transform into any cognitive archetype at will, but to learn how to integrate opposing and conflicting functional attitudes with your naturally preferred orientation. I find this to be not only more achievable, but it also preserves the differences that make type interesting in the first place.

I do not know if functions can be "developed" in the sense that you can completely rewrite your entire cognitive makeup, so I don't really know how to answer your question.

Johnfloyd6675

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think that a person successfully executing all known human psychic processes simultaneously would find himself on a spectrum between epilepsy and schizophrenia for a while. While we all know this is hypothetical and we're just playing with ideas, these are the sorts of ideas that get you lookin' like Phil Spector.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my opinion, one's personal quest should not be to attempt to develop every function until they're able to more or less transform into any cognitive archetype at will, but to learn how to integrate opposing and conflicting functional attitudes with your naturally preferred orientation. I find this to be not only more achievable, but it also preserves the differences that make type interesting in the first place.

I do not know if functions can be "developed" in the sense that you can completely rewrite your entire cognitive makeup, so I don't really know how to answer your question.

pretty much perfect answer

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Wouldn't you be extremely confused about which function to use for every situation? For me, it is hard enough between the Ne and the Fi and the Te. Multiple personality disorder.

Jaguar

I misread the title of this thread as: Aborting the MBTI.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

pretty much perfect answer
Seconded.

Wouldn't you be extremely confused about which function to use for every situation? For me, it is hard enough between the Ne and the Fi and the Te. Multiple personality disorder.
I don't think one really makes a conscious decision to use one function or the other, not to mention that Perceiving and Judging functions (or even both Perceiving functions) can be combined and complemented. I for one just pull them out (to the best of my ability) whenever the need for them arises. If I try too hard to use one function that I severely lack (Ni or Si generally), my head starts to hurt.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At best, one would be a jack of all trades, but master of none. I heard a motivational speaker once say that we don't progress by addressing our weaknesses, but rather by making the most of our strengths. I tend to agree. Some minimal facility with every function may be necessary -- after all, everyone uses every function, at least to some degree. But it is a better use of time and effort to focus on developing our individual gifts.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Would it be possible to develop every letter in the MBTI so well that, in a sense, become IESNTFPJ? Not that I wanted to, INTP is as close to perfect as I wanna get, and I didn't even have to work for it...

It wouldn't be perfect to be IESNTFPJ =3

That and INTP is whot yeu favour; it doesn't necessarily mean it's whot yeu *ARE*, it just is yeur preference, so obviously yeu'd consider it perfect XD

But seriously, it's not possible to be both anyway. Each is a preference of two polar opposites. If yeu equally prefer all things then yeu are nothing. Closest yeu could possibly come is I in some cases, E in others, which everyone does ANYWAY, because we all have moments of either or.

We need all of the functions as well; ni, ne, si, se, ti, te, fi, fe, they're all useful and all needed to some extent depending on the situation at hand. Some cases Ne serves very well at deflating a heated argument. Another time Fe may do the job better. Or Ti. Or whotever. All yeur MBTI result is, is which one yeu "prefer" to use... which isn't even necessarily the one yeu DO use the most, or are most adept at.

MBTI can only measure yeur preference. If yeu highly admire Ti but have virtually none of it yeurself despite trying yeur hardest, yeu'll still score as high Ti. It's whot yeu WANT to be. Therefore it's pretty hard to want to be 'everything', as everything has different qualities; some yeu'll value, some yeu won't.

I recognize some inherent usefulness in being a J, but I also realize P has more personal value to me. J's have more orderly lives normally... considering how mine goes to hell and back on a regular basis, I couldn't survive as a J because I couldn't cope with the massive amounts of change. Do I want to be both? Not really. I recognize both have their time and place and certain things they excel at, however. That's about as close as yeu'll get to whot yeu're suggesting - to understand the value of both and be willing to try to put aside something yeu're good at using which just doesn't work for a given situation, to use something yeu don't really care for or are unskilled in, because it's simply more effective.

That's all yeu can really do.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But seriously, it's not possible to be both anyway. Each is a preference of two polar opposites. If yeu equally prefer all things then yeu are nothing.
False dichotomy -- You could prefer one function in certain cases, and its polar opposite in others, particularly because Jungian functions themselves are mostly falsely dichotomous to begin with (just one of its many flaws).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oooh... it sounds like working for MBTI nirvana... a oneness of all! :holy:

I think that it is possible to gain a level of comfort with all functions over time (like when you see older members of a type who are more comfortable using their inferior and other lower level functions!) though I don't think that would completely change your type... people have some natural inclinations, though I think that type is a lot more flexible than people usually give it credit for being... partially because I prefer to look at functions as opposed to the basic I/E, T/F, S/N, J/P dichotomies, which I think are overly simple and shallow, and often lead people to think that they're the wrong type :newwink:

I agree with Katsuni on the self reported testing bias though- a person can test as anything they want to :yes:

Personally speaking, my Fi SUCKS (lowercase does not emphasize that enough!) but I'm trying to learn to understand it better and figure out how it is used and where the f%^& my Fi is hiding :thelook: I want to understand other functions and learn how to use them... it'll probably come in useful some day! Does this mean that my Fi will ever equal my Se? Probably not, but it can get BETTER! :yes:

Of course, my functions are in an odd strength order anyways, so who knows :laugh:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure it's necessary to be old and experienced to use your lower level functions. I use my Fe aplenty (or rather it uses me aplenty :laugh:) and I'm just 21.

Oddly, it's my Ne that I've needed to develop. Most of my life I've used near-standalone Ti (Leading me to come off as either INTP or ISTP depending on who you ask), and subconsciously kept my creative potential on a leash for reasons unknown even to me (It still came out easily when I needed it -- mainly to bullshit my way out of a tight spot or to come up with creative ways to get myself out of doing chores). I've let it loose over the past few years however, with decent results.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well they all contradict each other so you'd nullify out to be an XXXX.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's only a tertiary :newwink:

but yeah, you can learn to use them when younger if you want, it just naturally happens a lot of times with the older members of a type... and I ooze more Fe than you do! :tongue:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and I ooze more Fe than you do! :tongue:
Babe, you don't know me. ;) I remember back when I had a job I spent at least a quarter on my paycheck on other people -- Lunch for my buddies at work, some money I sent my mom, generous tips for waitresses...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oooh yeah, tipping waitresses generously is NECISSARY! they work hard, and I tend to ask for odd things like unsweetened iced tea with no ice, so 30% is a minimum tip (though I once gave a bartender a 200% tip :shock:)

I was refering to the Fe usage thread... the OTHER aspects of Fe as well :newwink:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, those. Fuck social norms (except when they, you know, benefit me). :alttongue: