User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

At best, one would be a jack of all trades, but master of none. I heard a motivational speaker once say that we don't progress by addressing our weaknesses, but rather by making the most of our strengths. I tend to agree. Some minimal facility with every function may be necessary -- after all, everyone uses every function, at least to some degree. But it is a better use of time and effort to focus on developing our individual gifts.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
    Would it be possible to develop every letter in the MBTI so well that, in a sense, become IESNTFPJ? Not that I wanted to, INTP is as close to perfect as I wanna get, and I didn't even have to work for it...
    It wouldn't be perfect to be IESNTFPJ =3

That and INTP is whot yeu favour; it doesn't necessarily mean it's whot yeu *ARE*, it just is yeur preference, so obviously yeu'd consider it perfect XD

But seriously, it's not possible to be both anyway. Each is a preference of two polar opposites. If yeu equally prefer all things then yeu are nothing. Closest yeu could possibly come is I in some cases, E in others, which everyone does ANYWAY, because we all have moments of either or.

We need all of the functions as well; ni, ne, si, se, ti, te, fi, fe, they're all useful and all needed to some extent depending on the situation at hand. Some cases Ne serves very well at deflating a heated argument. Another time Fe may do the job better. Or Ti. Or whotever. All yeur MBTI result is, is which one yeu "prefer" to use... which isn't even necessarily the one yeu DO use the most, or are most adept at.

MBTI can only measure yeur preference. If yeu highly admire Ti but have virtually none of it yeurself despite trying yeur hardest, yeu'll still score as high Ti. It's whot yeu WANT to be. Therefore it's pretty hard to want to be 'everything', as everything has different qualities; some yeu'll value, some yeu won't.

I recognize some inherent usefulness in being a J, but I also realize P has more personal value to me. J's have more orderly lives normally... considering how mine goes to hell and back on a regular basis, I couldn't survive as a J because I couldn't cope with the massive amounts of change. Do I want to be both? Not really. I recognize both have their time and place and certain things they excel at, however. That's about as close as yeu'll get to whot yeu're suggesting - to understand the value of both and be willing to try to put aside something yeu're good at using which just doesn't work for a given situation, to use something yeu don't really care for or are unskilled in, because it's simply more effective.

That's all yeu can really do.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    But seriously, it's not possible to be both anyway. Each is a preference of two polar opposites. If yeu equally prefer all things then yeu are nothing.
    False dichotomy -- You could prefer one function in certain cases, and its polar opposite in others, particularly because Jungian functions themselves are mostly falsely dichotomous to begin with (just one of its many flaws).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh... it sounds like working for MBTI nirvana... a oneness of all!

I think that it is possible to gain a level of comfort with all functions over time (like when you see older members of a type who are more comfortable using their inferior and other lower level functions!) though I don't think that would completely change your type... people have some natural inclinations, though I think that type is a lot more flexible than people usually give it credit for being... partially because I prefer to look at functions as opposed to the basic I/E, T/F, S/N, J/P dichotomies, which I think are overly simple and shallow, and often lead people to think that they're the wrong type

I agree with Katsuni on the self reported testing bias though- a person can test as anything they want to

Personally speaking, my Fi SUCKS (lowercase does not emphasize that enough!) but I'm trying to learn to understand it better and figure out how it is used and where the f%^& my Fi is hiding I want to understand other functions and learn how to use them... it'll probably come in useful some day! Does this mean that my Fi will ever equal my Se? Probably not, but it can get BETTER!

Of course, my functions are in an odd strength order anyways, so who knows
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm not sure it's necessary to be old and experienced to use your lower level functions. I use my Fe aplenty (or rather it uses me aplenty ) and I'm just 21.

Oddly, it's my Ne that I've needed to develop. Most of my life I've used near-standalone Ti (Leading me to come off as either INTP or ISTP depending on who you ask), and subconsciously kept my creative potential on a leash for reasons unknown even to me (It still came out easily when I needed it -- mainly to bullshit my way out of a tight spot or to come up with creative ways to get myself out of doing chores). I've let it loose over the past few years however, with decent results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ

Well they all contradict each other so you'd nullify out to be an XXXX.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's only a tertiary

but yeah, you can learn to use them when younger if you want, it just naturally happens a lot of times with the older members of a type... and I ooze more Fe than you do!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and I ooze more Fe than you do!
    Babe, you don't know me. I remember back when I had a job I spent at least a quarter on my paycheck on other people -- Lunch for my buddies at work, some money I sent my mom, generous tips for waitresses...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh yeah, tipping waitresses generously is NECISSARY! they work hard, and I tend to ask for odd things like unsweetened iced tea with no ice, so 30% is a minimum tip (though I once gave a bartender a 200% tip )

I was refering to the Fe usage thread... the OTHER aspects of Fe as well

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Oh, those. Fuck social norms (except when they, you know, benefit me).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole