User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Einstein and Extraverted Intuition

Reading about intuition I found this statement at greenwikilight.

Einstein summarised the Extraverted Intuition standpoint best when he said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Could anyone explain whether or not Einstein's statement is in disfavor with Extraverted Intuition?
    "Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?"

MBTI
    INTJ

I like Einstein... which attracted me to your post.

I read what Ben wrote about Extraverted Intuition, and I can relate!! That is exactly how I operate when I meet new people. I observe them, try to guess their MBTI and continue adjusting my hypothesis as new information emerges.

So what Einstein said makes sense in an Ne way because what he was saying is that Ne keeps changing its hypothesis as new information becomes available. If you do something, and it doesn't work, you have just gained new information. You should adjust your approach slightly, based on your new information, and try again. It doesn't makes sense to keep doing the same wrong thing over and over again. It's another way of saying we should learn from our mistakes.

Why are you asking?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maha Raj View Post

Einstein summarised the Extraverted Intuition standpoint best when he said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Could anyone explain whether or not Einstein's statement is in disfavor with Extraverted Intuition?
    Does the theory of the inflation bar the constant?
    No.
    Does the constant bar the inflation theory?
    No.

The biggest mistake, eh?
    No.

It seems to me, at least, that the statement that Einstein made is in favor of Extraverted Intuition. Someone who favors extraverted intuition would try to do things in a manner different from usual. Albert Einstein himself was probably an INTP or an ENTP.

P.S. Contrary to what is usually listed, I don't think Thomas Edison favored Extraverted Intuition at all. My guess for him is ExTJ.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It seems more like a criticism of extreme Si, to me. So I guess it's in agreement with Ne. He's usually typed as xNTP, so it seems like a reasonable guess.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Essentially, Einstein had ideas about the nature of reality - theories. (Ti)

He would test these theories to see what was probable and to explore patterns in the outer world. (Ne)

The results were sent back inside to modify the internal model, if necessary, or to give it more firmness than before.

Yes, it's more a criticism of Si dominance, here...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Einstein has always been the patron of INTPs to me.

I'd have serious doubts about him being an Extravert. The rest is pretty obvious, too. I think he's one of the most easily typed figures of fame.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    So what Einstein said makes sense in an Ne way because what he was saying is that Ne keeps changing its hypothesis as new information becomes available. If you do something, and it doesn't work, you have just gained new information. You should adjust your approach slightly, based on your new information, and try again. It doesn't makes sense to keep doing the same wrong thing over and over again. It's another way of saying we should learn from our mistakes.

Why are you asking?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    I was thinking in a different way that the word "same thing" means "same job" that is being repeated. A person with Ne will do the same job over and over again until he/she gets the right result. So I thought Einstein was saying "doing the same 'job' over and over again and expecting a different result is insane." which made me think that he is against Ne.

But then you made it clear. The "same thing" means "same way". Therefore, Einstein’s statement is logically correct as well as in favor with Ne because Ne do continuously change the "way" they do thing to get the right result.

It's a good lesson for me. I learned that misinterpretation leads to disagree with other people's statements when I think their statement doesn't logically make sense.

Thanks (INTJ)Mom.
    "Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?"

MBTI
    INTJ

I was thinking in a different way that the word "same thing" means "same job" that is being repeated. A person with Ne will do the same job over and over again until he/she gets the right result. So I thought Einstein was saying "doing the same 'job' over and over again and expecting a different result is insane." which made me think that he is against Ne.

But then you made it clear. The "same thing" means "same way". Therefore, Einstein’s statement is logically correct as well as in favor with Ne because Ne do continuously change the "way" they do thing to get the right result.

It's a good lesson for me. I learned that misinterpretation leads to disagree with other people's statements when I think their statement doesn't logically make sense.

Thanks (INTJ)Mom.
    You are quite welcome, my dear.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Einstein has always been the patron of INTPs to me.

I'd have serious doubts about him being an Extravert. The rest is pretty obvious, too. I think he's one of the most easily typed figures of fame.
    Well, except for his idea of nailing C to the frame of reference. That was a totally new-and-different idea, really a serious intuitive leap. That sort of thing isn't generally typical of INTPs.

That idea wasn't just thinking outside the box--it redefined the box.