User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default What are your IQs?

I feel so inferior on here, because people keep talking about getting A grades all the time with no effort in school and such. I am not so lucky. I get maybe 1 or 2 As and the rest are Bs and Cs. Even if it's just the (less reliable I know) online tests, what IQs have you scored? I usually get around 130.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Yeah, it doesn't require very much talent to brag about accomplishments online, so don't feel badly about not appearing to measure up, goodgrief.

Without commenting on the validity of IQ in general - particularly in its relationship to wealth and culture, suffice to say that I've scored upwards of 70 on a few tests online.

So, you're in good company.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh wow! I thought it was INTPc with a thread on IQ!

Online IQ tests aren't considered an accurate tool for assessing IQ from an academic standpoint anyways- looking at the questions I can see why

However, IQ doesn't really matter as far as success or failure goes- there are a lot of people out there who's asses I kick on IQ tests who are signifigantly more successful than I am!

Really, it's what you do with what you have, not what you have- the test is kind of pointless.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

The internet is littered with lonely failures bragging about their IQ scores. Why feel inferior to that!?

As has been said, don't define your worth by how quickly you can solve a puzzle, define it by how effectively you can positively affect the world around you.

This depends on all kinds of things - your openess to elarning, your ability to relate to tohers, ability to understand the logic of a situation, ability ot intuititively understand the essence of a situation, ability to know and recall details, ability to "grab the moment2 etc.

In MBTI terms all the functions represent a potnetiality but also by their dominance supress other vital functions meanign we nalso need to work other types. In leymans terms we all have weaknesses and potential.

None of us on our own is complete but working as a whole for a positive purpose, pooling our ability and knowledge, learning form those who can teach us, teahcing those who need to learn, is how we can "be something".

In other words, intelligence is collective, and what defines your intelligence is your ability to relate to the collective consciousness of the age we live in in order to both learn from it and add into it. Not an IQ score.

</commie propaganda>.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default internet IQ miscalibration extravaganza

Here are some reasons why online tests can't measure IQ accurately. Remember that IQ only measures relative intelligence within a control group taking the test. There isn't a number a person owns that can stay with them, the scores are all fluid and relative, changing with each peer group and test.

1. There are no controls on the test taker who can easily have a second browser open to help answer questions, along with a few friends. This lack of control should make everyone's scores lower than the controlled versions in school because more people will be getting correct answers... and yet.

2. People regularly report scores at 150 and higher, often noting they don't know what it means. An actual IQ of 130 places you in the top 2% of society and will get you in Mensa if you can demonstrate it credibly. Only on the internet IQ miscalibration extravaganza is 130 a modest or even low score.

3. The group taking the test is also not defined. Is it 6th graders? Senior citizens? Anybody? The peer group is unknown and uncontrolled.

4. The tests are often rather short and with questions that make it possible to actually get them all correct. Even standardized IQ tests become less effective the further they are measuring out from the norm of 100.

5. Some of these online tests have an offer at the end to purchase a book or something for which getting a high score is a motivation to make the purchase.

I've thought about how it is occurring that so many people have unrealistic notions about their IQ. There is a natural self-inflation where people tend to think they are smarter, or better drivers, etc. than is actually the case, but in this instance the exaggeration is a bit more stunning. There is probably just a lot of misinformation along with tests reporting high scores. Some people might simply lie about it perpetuating an inflated norm. I also think that there is a natural desire to contribute and demonstrate a significant skill within a group. Back in the days of the small village or tribe a person could be the smartest, the fastest, the best at something and feel personal significance. In the global village a person would actually need an IQ of 150 in order to stand out to that same degree. Average feels like insignificance and anonymity which people are overwhelmed by and so search for a sense of meaningful personal contribution and end up with a distorted sense of self.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ

Kay, but you guys seem to all be really smart without ever even trying, if my homework thread is anything to go by.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Ever declining.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Some people naturally test well... it doesn't have to do with intelligence, particularly, more knowlege of tactics and self confidence! Tests are usually weighted for grades and considered more heavily for academic success
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Like I said before… mine goes to 11.