• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are your IQs?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I took an actual IQ test administered by a psychologist and all that jazz, and earned a result of 145. My brother did the same and tested at 160, and is an idiot who leeches off of other people and wouldn't know a (academic or otherwise) work ethic if it kicked him in the nuts. :cheers:

But they do give us an indisputably accurate assessment of a person's intellectual abilities, noone here is questioning that claim, is that right?

Your personal IQ does not change over the years, this is a basic rule of IQ testing. You ARE getting "cleverer" until your late twenties, and you will get "duller" afterwards, but your score should remain the same, since properly supervised tests compensate for your advantages and disadvantages based on your age alone. Your IQ is calculated based on your efficiency on the test AND your age.

Can you cite any research that shows that such tests exist and are possible to institute? Can you cite any credible research that is supported by scientific consensus that states that a person's IQ does not change? Or are you prepared to admit that you just 'made it up' or 'read it somewhere, don't remember where'?

Though the range of difference is usually less than 5-10 points.

Where is this data coming from? INTJcentral?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will concede that the IQ test might give an accurate portrayal of someone's ability to perform CERTAIN cognitive tasks.

And I can guarantee you that I'd score wayyyy higher if the IQ measured pure linguistic ability or other kinds of abilities, but it does not. I mean: It does, among other things. However, the 'other things' pull me down generally. :blush:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I will concede that the IQ test might give an accurate portrayal of someone's ability to perform CERTAIN cognitive tasks. :

In your judgment, what are these cognitive tasks and how accurately can they be measured?

S

Sniffles

Working within the parameters of the multiple intelligences theory, IQ seems to largely focus on logical-mathematical intelligence. So at best that's what it measures.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you cite any research that shows that such tests exist and are possible to institute?

I have neither time nor energy to engage in a "IQ-tests-are-stupid-and-so-are-you" kind of verbal nonsense.
Feel free to believe whatever you'd like.

(caveat: "scientific consensus" is almost impossible on such controversial topic in soft sciences)

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
But they do give us an indisputably accurate assessment of a person's intellectual abilities, no one here is questioning that claim, is that right?

Peguy and LL are already discussing this topic, but indisputable? Not necessarily. The test's origins and eventual modifications along with its inherent limitations (from what the creator Binet spoke of in regards to its specific design and purpose) can give the impression that intelligence is far too broad a concept to quantify with a single number. It seems he insisted that intelligence is influenced by a number of factors, changes over time and can only be compared among children with similar backgrounds.

With the introduction of Howard Gardner's definition of seven types of intelligences (which I believe is what Peguy is speaking of, though I may be incorrect) in the 1980's - well after the current type of IQ test was developed, if I remember correctly - I think it is entirely possible to dispute a stance of the IQ test being an accurate assessment of a person's intellectual abilities.

Granted, this is after never hearing of any IQ tests that have developed wider parameters of what they test in terms of types of intelligence. Hearing something of that nature could change my thoughts on the matter.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In your judgment, what are these cognitive tasks and how accurately can they be measured?

From what I have observed, these tests measure your ability to notice patterns - mathematical, spatial or linguistic - more than anything else. Some more in-depth cognitive tests also evaluate skills such as general knowledge, logical deduction, mathematical ability, spatial skills, pattern recognition, memory, and problem-solving skills.

I have taken two psychological tests for my aunt and her friend, both of whom were getting their MA and PhD respectively in psychology. So they had to give psychological tests to different people as a part of their studies - real cognitive tests. These tests check a wide range of skills, most of which were mentioned in the previous paragraph.

In these tests, my highest part was the general knowledge, linguistic, and verbal areas; my lowest results were the spatial skills and mathematical 'abilities' sections (more like disabilities, but whatever).

This result also corresponds to national standardized tests we did every year, where my results hardly ever differed. Alas, in national standardized tests, I score about 15 percentile on spatial skills as opposed to 99 percentile on verbal scores, including language mechanics, reading, etc. Math resulted in a 94-98 percentile, depending on the year. Spatial skills, as indicated, were catastrophic. This is also reflected in my IQ score, I'm sure.

Your normal paper-based IQ test focuses on pattern recognition, spatial skills, some linguistic challenges, and some mathematical aspects. Since my spatial skills are abysmal, yeah.....

I score significantly higher on tests that focus more on linguistic abilities (words, concepts, pattern recognition with words) than those that focus on spatial skills and pattern recognition with numbers and objects.

It would be interesting to know if my type has anything to do with this tendency.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I took an actual IQ test administered by a psychologist and all that jazz, and earned a result of 145. My brother did the same and tested at 160, and is an idiot who leeches off of other people and wouldn't know a (academic or otherwise) work ethic if it kicked him in the nuts. :cheers:

Results of that test do not take into account what one will choose to do with their inherent abilities.

So true! LAZY does not discriminate.

I think ambition and life skills take you farther in life than IQ - though there are correlations with higher IQ and higher income or maybe it was the percentage of higher IQ individuals who are millionaires or something like that. There's another thread on that somewhere.

Also, in the real world social skills go a loooooooooong way and you can't really test for that on paper.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh most of the posts in this thread are only tangentially related to the first post (including this one ;)). Someone need only put the word "IQ" in the title of their thread and a passionate discussion will start out of nowhere.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh most of the posts in this thread are only tangentially related to the first post (including this one ;)). Someone need only put the word "IQ" in the title of their thread and a passionate discussion will start out of nowhere.

With me, a passionate discussion can start even by putting a mundane thing like 'rock' or 'air' or RAWWWWWWWWR in the title.

:D

Oh, and tangent is my middle name, so....But I think the people on the forum are (at least grudgingly) tolerant because they realize it all has a connection in my brain.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then I need to start a thread titled "Rock out with air guitar! RAWWWWWWWR!!!"

Yeah, I'll be all RAWRRRRRRR AND YEAHHHHHHH AND GAHHHHHHHHHH AND BOOYEAHHHHHHHHH AND...well, you get the point.

And for the record, online tests tell me I'm getting dumber with age. But I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting more retarded or the tests are or the evaluation is.

When I first took the test, it was a cognitive test and I don't remember what I got because I was 10 or 11. I remember my aunt being shocked at my spatial skills score. :-/ She didn't tell me what I got, so I must have been really dumb or something.

The second one was when I was 12 or 13, and my aunt told me my verbal result was 'superior'; whereas my mathematical score was 'average'. Maybe she lied to me to make me feel good, because I thought I sucked.

The third one was a paper-based test in my psychology class, and I got a number for the first time: 143.

Then a couple of years later, I took an all-rounder IQ test online and got 144.

Then, I didn't take any tests for a long time, and several years later I found some and I got between 120-135, but this was more of a spatial/math test (BLAH!).

Several months ago I took an IQ test floating around here (almost purely spatial, GAHHHHHHH with pattern recognition) and got in the 130s.

No one makes any fucking LINGUISTIC IQ tests. I want an ego boost, DAMN IT!

So which is accurate? I hardly know.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

I'll conceive concede that, but can you say you've scored while on an IQ test? Hmm? :newwink:

"Ohhhhhh babbbbbyyyyyyyyy, you're......SO......SMART!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :devil: