• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Hatred for school.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Keep in mind that this was my Prob-Stat teacher who never took Prob-Stat, failed Algebra in college twice, and is somehow teaching honors Prob-Stat... I believe she got nationally certified my senior year of high school. YAY! PUBLIC EDUCATION!

They have a class purely for probability and statistics? That's specific. I didn't know there was that much to learn about it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To honest I think that education almost everywhere around the world simply fails to recognize and use the strenghts of an NT child.

I consider my entire education crappy. As some people have said before "I have learned more by using google than I have learned in school". Basicly the same story is with me.
I mean I have finnished my highschool at the top of my class but non the less I can freely say that I didn't like the experiance. Plus I have also had arguments with teachers about so called "facts". Since I was pretty sure there was incorrect data.

In my country we place a way too much weight on pure theory. So basicly you can be a briliant student for years without actually knowing anything. Since you forget all those random facts and models after a few weeks and since you don't get experiance or a chance of implementing information you don't know how to do anything after you finnish school.

College is the same. Basicly you just get a couple hundered pages book. You learn all the facts. On the exam you get 5 questions and if you pass you pass. If no you can try again after a few weeks. But if you pass you forget everything within a month or two. So after a few years you feel like an idiot that is wasting time.
Since appplying is litterally at pure 0. Plus there complete lack of structure. (but I will spare everyone of the explanation)

I mean it is funny to watch apsurds that are comming out of this.
For example : guy that is doing master degree in economy decides to debate economic issues against the street-smart ESTP. However he lost the debate and that was obvious outcome from the start. (Since he has no field experiance at all).

So my vote goes to : it is pretty much useless if you don't like to hang out with people that much.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am curious about something.

If your first language is not English.
Did you learn it better in school or by conversating online with people whose first language is English ?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
School is hit and miss.
I didn't care about high school - I only had one teacher, and INFJ one at that, who really changed my views in life for the better, or added to what I'd already come up with.
Middle school was spent at a private Lutheran school. I remember asking pretty out there physics questions in science class, and the teacher laughed and talked down to me. I was using my imagination, and I was made a fool, which is what frustrates me most about my education.

College is different. I think there's less information regurgitation and more critical thinking, but at the same time the core courses I don't take seriously. Most of the material I find as simple common sense. I start working on my Physics major this summer; I think my experience will change a lot, which is what I'm told happens after Freshman year.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think I ever hated my classes. I hated specific assignments, and for a few rough years I really hated people -- the social aspect gave me many more problems than the academic, especially in my early teens.

I think school was really valuable. There were a few classes that really impacted me in a positive way, taught me things I probably never would have learned on my own. I really like being knowledgeable, and school sometimes forced me to become so. Certainly there were aspects I disliked, but on the whole I certainly wouldn't say that I hated school. I have a tendency to glamorize the past, but I might even admit that I often kind of liked it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I am curious about something.

If your first language is not English.
Did you learn it better in school or by conversating online with people whose first language is English ?

English - conversation, by far.
German - school was great to understand its basics, otherwise I would have had some trouble with the "cases".

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
first of all, school privileges Ti above all other functions. but it doesn't matter if your communication skills can't make it work.

i sympathize with all N types who don't get any N teachers in high school. you don't realize what a fucking revelation it is when your teachers get what you mean, who can't lead you from what you mean to what you actually want to say. infjs, for instance, are often extremely vague when trying to communicate what they see- it's a common critique of infj writing. i repeatedly got great writing scores in all categories except "substantiation," in which they'd give me 8/15 and say that they had no idea why or how i was trying to answer the question/what i was even trying to talk about. i don't really see a point to anything intellectual until i had a great entp instructor in an advanced english course senior year.

college is better. you have to explore to figure out where you fit and how to make use of your skills. for those who have intense financial pressures and need to get a well-paying job, well, again i sympathize. sometimes these things overrule learning. but for others who get to play around in different disciplines, problematics, discourses, etc, there are plenty of spaces that are N-friendly. anthropology, sociological theory, rhetoric, literary studies can easily work, religion, most of the social sciences and humanities, etc. i see a lot of N types in biochem, physics, and other more imagination-friendly hard sciences, that requires layers, more complex modeling, etc. don't do something that emphasizes rote memorization, and be wary of classes with god-awful textbooks. i'm pretty sure NTs rule finance as well.

one useful thing to keep in mind is that constructing positive relationships with fellow students and faculty give you an enormously useful support when trying to find your way through the university/academic world. they've learned a lot of shit on their own, sometimes it makes more sense to absorb more guidance from others rather than demanding that you figure it out all on your own.

i also think that especially highly highly introverted in types, especially those with /sp high up in their enneagram stacking, are often put off by the exhaustion of dealing with others. i know as an sx/sp type, i have a tendency to get REALLY frustrated when i feel like discussion/curriculum/studies etc are going in the wrong direction, and i generally have a conflict with groups who i deem irrational, misinformed, and full of too easily influenced mass-mentality wasted talent. too much conformity, not enough authentic searching, wandering, self-sustaining meaning. but this is on me to figure out rather than on groups to not behave- like groups.

zimmy99

MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't really hate school but most of the time it was incredibly boring. Having figured out a topic way before the teacher had stopped explaining :(.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
They have a class purely for probability and statistics? That's specific. I didn't know there was that much to learn about it.

Uh? You can even get PhDs in statistics...

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
for those who have intense financial pressures and need to get a well-paying job, well, again i sympathize.

LOL. This sentence immediately reminded me of a joke. This joke must be told in your best German accent.

A Lufthansa Airlines flight is about to make an emergency landing in the ocean. The pilot comes on the intercom and says, "Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to land in the ocean. For those of you who know how to swim, please put on a life vest and begin swimming towards the shore. For those of you who do not know how to swim..............thank you for flying Lufthansa Airlines.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have several teachers already in mind who will not be allowed to exist when I rule the world...and it's only my second semester of college.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have several teachers already in mind who will not be allowed to exist when I rule the world...and it's only my second semester of college.

I won't be holding my breath.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Am I the [one] NT who ever had the hatred for school[?] I think alot of my peers are intelligent just as my teachers. I believe I learn more from googling random subjects on the internet. And I enjoy it more.

So discuss!:nerd:

Well, I had abusive teachers thoughout public school. So I disliked school for that reason.

capricorn009

Nope, any imbecile even Pinky would be smarter than half the ninnies, dofuses,
morons and halfwits our class had to put up with. I knew some people that ba-
rely had an intellectual bone in their body that were competent enough to not-
ice that problem, let's put it that way. The kinds of people they make blonde
jokes about could have been considered to have IQs of entry genius level at
that place, lol.

ENTJ

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I hate the routine not the school. School is fine and some of the teachers are alright too, I'm sure that most of them wish me the best. All in all I'm quite satisfied with what school has learnt me, and don't get me wrong, it's not the overall knowledge fx in math, because I could most definitely learn it by myself. It's the social skills and ability to adjust to different people and situations, making compromises, forming group opinion and influencing it, and I'm quite grateful of that.