• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NTs (or Ns in general) do you strive for personal idealism?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I notice I don't become irritated by most uncontrollable outside forces acting upon me, giving me a disadvantage or changing the "playing field" in life. I'll give an example: I know people that become stressed when something is cancelled or their plans are compromised due to an element as uncontrollable as weather; however, if they mess something up, they'll make an excuse to pardon themselves from a penalty.

I, on the other hand, get extremely stressed when I fuck up, especially if it harms someone else. I simply can't handle it well. I know people mess up, yes, but I hate fitting the norm, even with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but I get LIVID when I trip on a tiny rock because I was too busy looking at the mountain ahead of me I that intended to climb faster and higher than anyone else.

Do you NTs or even NFs have this problem? Is this a problem, or is it a function that saves us from making big mistakes in life?

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sounds perfectly normal to me! :)

I have a difficult time understanding why people get worked up about things they have no control over. It's wasted emotional energy. I don't know if it's because I'm an NT or because I've done a lot of reading about Eastern religions.

On the other hand, it wouldn't stress me at all that I slipped on a pebble because I was looking at a mountain. But, in the broader context of "losing situational awareness" I can sometimes become annoyed with myself, particularly if I've made a similar mistake before.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can relate. If something is canceled because of rain or something unforseen comes up, I just roll with the punches. Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I do have a competitive/perfectionist type of approach to things, so I see what you mean about getting mad about tripping on a rock. I don't really get mad, I just kind of laugh at myself and think "you can do better than that!"

But, if my mistakes hurt/affect someone else I do take it hard. I feel like I should NEVER be so careless as to be the cause of someone else being inconvenienced or hurt. Sometimes that plays a part in me being relatively detached from people. If I see a situation developing that could potentially cause harm to someone at my expense, I just make it known right then that I'm "dropping out" so to speak and that I don't want to be involved.

They ask, "why?"

"Trust me. It's for the best. Take care now. Buh bye." :yes:

Not trying to be mean to them, I just know where it's headed.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
right there with ya

only thing in this world you can control with certainty is yourself

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Sounds perfectly normal to me! :)

I have a difficult time understanding why people get worked up about things they have no control over. It's wasted emotional energy. I don't know if it's because I'm an NT or because I've done a lot of reading about Eastern religions.

On the other hand, it wouldn't stress me at all that I slipped on a pebble because I was looking at a mountain. But, in the broader context of "losing situational awareness" I can sometimes become annoyed with myself, particularly if I've made a similar mistake before.

Agree as well on the first part.

The situational awareness/making mistakes before is exactly right. I have to remind people close to me that in some things, I am a very slow learner. Yes I will forget to take the shorter route to work now that there is a new bridge twenty times before my brain loads it into the operating map.

In general I am not too hard on myself unless the outcome warrants it, however. I'm just hard to work up.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I notice I don't become irritated by most uncontrollable outside forces acting upon me, giving me a disadvantage or changing the "playing field" in life. I'll give an example: I know people that become stressed when something is cancelled or their plans are compromised due to an element as uncontrollable as weather; however, if they mess something up, they'll make an excuse to pardon themselves from a penalty.

This I understand completely.

I, on the other hand, get extremely stressed when I fuck up, especially if it harms someone else. I simply can't handle it well. I know people mess up, yes, but I hate fitting the norm, even with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but I get LIVID when I trip on a tiny rock because I was too busy looking at the mountain ahead of me I that intended to climb faster and higher than anyone else.

Do you NTs or even NFs have this problem? Is this a problem, or is it a function that saves us from making big mistakes in life?[

Well, if I fucked up and killed someone, I'd probably get stressed about that. It's all relative. I do beat myself up for not meeting my potential/goal/whatever but I wouldn't describe it as stressing.