User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default NTs (or Ns in general) do you strive for personal idealism?

I notice I don't become irritated by most uncontrollable outside forces acting upon me, giving me a disadvantage or changing the "playing field" in life. I'll give an example: I know people that become stressed when something is cancelled or their plans are compromised due to an element as uncontrollable as weather; however, if they mess something up, they'll make an excuse to pardon themselves from a penalty.

I, on the other hand, get extremely stressed when I fuck up, especially if it harms someone else. I simply can't handle it well. I know people mess up, yes, but I hate fitting the norm, even with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but I get LIVID when I trip on a tiny rock because I was too busy looking at the mountain ahead of me I that intended to climb faster and higher than anyone else.

Do you NTs or even NFs have this problem? Is this a problem, or is it a function that saves us from making big mistakes in life?
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    ENTP

Sounds perfectly normal to me!

I have a difficult time understanding why people get worked up about things they have no control over. It's wasted emotional energy. I don't know if it's because I'm an NT or because I've done a lot of reading about Eastern religions.

On the other hand, it wouldn't stress me at all that I slipped on a pebble because I was looking at a mountain. But, in the broader context of "losing situational awareness" I can sometimes become annoyed with myself, particularly if I've made a similar mistake before.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I can relate. If something is canceled because of rain or something unforseen comes up, I just roll with the punches. Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I do have a competitive/perfectionist type of approach to things, so I see what you mean about getting mad about tripping on a rock. I don't really get mad, I just kind of laugh at myself and think "you can do better than that!"

But, if my mistakes hurt/affect someone else I do take it hard. I feel like I should NEVER be so careless as to be the cause of someone else being inconvenienced or hurt. Sometimes that plays a part in me being relatively detached from people. If I see a situation developing that could potentially cause harm to someone at my expense, I just make it known right then that I'm "dropping out" so to speak and that I don't want to be involved.

They ask, "why?"

"Trust me. It's for the best. Take care now. Buh bye."

Not trying to be mean to them, I just know where it's headed.

MBTI
    entp

right there with ya

only thing in this world you can control with certainty is yourself

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Amphion View Post
    Sounds perfectly normal to me!

I have a difficult time understanding why people get worked up about things they have no control over. It's wasted emotional energy. I don't know if it's because I'm an NT or because I've done a lot of reading about Eastern religions.

On the other hand, it wouldn't stress me at all that I slipped on a pebble because I was looking at a mountain. But, in the broader context of "losing situational awareness" I can sometimes become annoyed with myself, particularly if I've made a similar mistake before.
    Agree as well on the first part.

The situational awareness/making mistakes before is exactly right. I have to remind people close to me that in some things, I am a very slow learner. Yes I will forget to take the shorter route to work now that there is a new bridge twenty times before my brain loads it into the operating map.

In general I am not too hard on myself unless the outcome warrants it, however. I'm just hard to work up.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    I notice I don't become irritated by most uncontrollable outside forces acting upon me, giving me a disadvantage or changing the "playing field" in life. I'll give an example: I know people that become stressed when something is cancelled or their plans are compromised due to an element as uncontrollable as weather; however, if they mess something up, they'll make an excuse to pardon themselves from a penalty.
    This I understand completely.

I, on the other hand, get extremely stressed when I fuck up, especially if it harms someone else. I simply can't handle it well. I know people mess up, yes, but I hate fitting the norm, even with this. I don't expect to be perfect, but I get LIVID when I trip on a tiny rock because I was too busy looking at the mountain ahead of me I that intended to climb faster and higher than anyone else.

Do you NTs or even NFs have this problem? Is this a problem, or is it a function that saves us from making big mistakes in life?[
    Well, if I fucked up and killed someone, I'd probably get stressed about that. It's all relative. I do beat myself up for not meeting my potential/goal/whatever but I wouldn't describe it as stressing.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.