• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Can an INTJ doubt themselves?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I consistently score INTJ, and I match the description mostly, but from that description and others it seems if you are an INTJ you are always confident in your ability, able to keep at something and never second guess themselves. But I do a lot. i have social anxiety and often feel down about my own ability to achieve both socially and academically, and I sometimes have so little motivation to do anything. Is this normal or at least an occasional occurence for an INTJ? All the INTJs on here seem a lot mentally stronger than me.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
An INTJ I know is one of the most self-doubting people I know.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Can an INTJ doubt themselves"?

Hm,..let me think.....well ...no. :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm, yes. INTJs are human, no?

Jeremy77

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5x4
I certainly doubt myself in the realm of of personal relationships and interpersonal skills.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, they can. Perfectionists are hard on themselves.

I was just coming in to say this. No one can be as hard on us as we are on ourselves. Self-doubt, over-analyzing, second guessing anything relationship related. Not that these things can't be lessened. They can and it takes time but they're always there for us. There are areas I'm supremely confident in and always have been. There are areas I had to put a lot of effort into changing too.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
I was just coming in to say this. No one can be as hard on us as we are on ourselves. Self-doubt, over-analyzing, second guessing anything relationship related. Not that these things can't be lessened. They can and it takes time but they're always there for us. There are areas I'm supremely confident in and always have been. There are areas I had to put a lot of effort into changing too.

I couldn't agree more.:D

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*headdesk*

No, they can't. Superhuman people don't do that.
They fly around, stop meteors, solve the mysteries of the universe during lunchbreak, but self-doubt? Nah.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs are introspective perfectionists, so I would think they second-guess themselves all the time. I have an INTJ friend who does second-guess himself often.

The type least likely to second-guess themselves are probably ESTPs, followed by ENTPs. I for one am most likely to hold an attitude of invincibility, unless experience has bitch-slapped me repeatedly. I do however have a tendency to become nervous and wonder if I chose wrong when I have to make a decision and commit to it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pride goes before a fall. Confidence is good. Overconfidence is not. It is a balance. Personally, I always have doubts. That's what the contingencies are for and the excessive effort to think forward on the things that might go wrong so you can plan to avoid them.

Hubris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a strong will, independence and confidence with an INTJ usually. This can also go horribly wrong. Jeffrey Skilling at Enron was probably an INTJ. A more recent example might be Greenspan and deregulation.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
The key thing about INTJs is that they know what they know and know what they don't know. If I am working in a field that I know a lot about, I very rarely second-guess myself. When I was younger and more socially immature, I second-guessed my relationships and social interactions all the time. Eventually, it got so taxing that I just...stopped. Maybe I put up a mental block about second-guessing social stuff because I got so sick of it...

But no, generally I don't do a lot of self-doubting. I've tried to find ways of coping with the few areas of my personality that I tend to over-criticize. But then, unlike some of the posters on this thread, I'm usually not that hard on myself. It would be like constantly criticizing my best friend. I can't stand putting myself down too often.

Fecal McAngry

I consistently score INTJ, and I match the description mostly, but from that description and others it seems if you are an INTJ you are always confident in your ability, able to keep at something and never second guess themselves. But I do a lot. i have social anxiety and often feel down about my own ability to achieve both socially and academically, and I sometimes have so little motivation to do anything. Is this normal or at least an occasional occurence for an INTJ? All the INTJs on here seem a lot mentally stronger than me.

INTJs "doubt," yes. But more than "doubting," INTJs can be some of the most self-critical, self-flagellating souls around. This is where an INFP comes in hand as an emotional fluffer;)

Here's INTJ David Letterman interviewed by INFJ Charlie Rose:

Charlie Rose - An interview with David Letterman

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
If anybody can honestly say that he/she hasn't had any doubt then I recommend that person to check his/her pulse because he/she might as well be a robot...

oh wait...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In some ways Ni doms doubt themselves (and everything) more than any other types.

INTJs are very good at showing a strong, confident exterior--in fact, they want you to think they rarely (if ever) doubt themselves. They like having that image.

When it comes to things they've prepared for and done their homework on, they are extremely confident, but when they're in an uncomfortable/unfamiliar situation they tend to use silence to their advantage. They're not going to let you know how much they do or don't know about the situation, and they know that this often leads people to assume they know a lot more than they do...which they can use to their advantage, of course.

So INTJs are often not as confident as they seem; they just choose not to reveal it when they don't know what's going on.