User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTx: How do you deal with a lot of negative emotion?

Whether its intense anger, sadness, whatever...how do you deal with excess negative emotion?

Whenever I'm dealing with a lot of emotion, especially anger, I've always felt the need to physically lash out. I'll completely flip out for a few minutes until I'm drained and then slowly go back to normal. Its always been my own way of venting when I can't bottle it up (which is probably the problem in the first place). Its resulted in me breaking things, injuring my hand numerous times punching things, etc. Is this normal for any other INTxs (or anyone)? There's gotta be a healthier way.

EDIT: I dunno how I managed to post this in the private section, its late and I'm crashing. Can a mod move it to the main NT forum? Thanks.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

That's pretty much what I find myself doing. I will usually fall into a state of frenzied restlessness, looking for meaningless tasks to distract myself and somehow make myself feel like I am being productive. At this point I do not even notice that I may be bottling up negative emotions, or even where such negativity comes from; like a plateau sort of situation. However, it comes to a point when one negative event or a wrong statement said to me (or both,) and everything seems to rush out all at once. I somehow manage to control myself into directing my anger onto inanimate objects, restricting the damage to things, or myself even, while lashing out. However, after this outburst, and after sleeping on it for a day or two, I usually find myself back to a normal, healthier state.

I've always adopted the 'ride it out' approach, and then try to learn from what I've been through when I am back to normal. I guess you could say I view events like these as pivotal moments for potential growth, and not really experiences I can avoid. It seems that after going through such an ordeal, everything that has happened is over and 'dealt with' Dealt seems to be the key word for me here; what's done is done and now I only have the future to worry about. What had happened no longer seems so terrible after its wake.

I'm not sure I can say I know from experience of any healthier way to deal with negativity. You could try talking with a confidante or exercising to relieve stress, but I've never felt comfortable enough to burden someone else with such personal matters, and I find exercising as a way to deal with negativity as just another symptom of the restlessness I mentioned earlier. Watching a a good movie or reading something inspiring might help give you focus, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy26 View Post
    Whether its intense anger, sadness, whatever...how do you deal with excess negative emotion?

Whenever I'm dealing with a lot of emotion, especially anger, I've always felt the need to physically lash out. I'll completely flip out for a few minutes until I'm drained and then slowly go back to normal. Its always been my own way of venting when I can't bottle it up (which is probably the problem in the first place). Its resulted in me breaking things, injuring my hand numerous times punching things, etc. Is this normal for any other INTxs (or anyone)? There's gotta be a healthier way.

EDIT: I dunno how I managed to post this in the private section, its late and I'm crashing. Can a mod move it to the main NT forum? Thanks.
    Like most ITJs, I'm rather good at keeping my emotions under wraps for a long period of time. It takes a hell of a lot for me to actually explode, though when I finally do, it's all the more violent because of the pressure build up. When it does get to that point, I usually observe that things start to fly across the room.

I usually find the best way to deal with such things is to sit down somewhere quiet and think it all over to a resolve the issue, or at least learn to accept it. Then again, I'm an Fi user, so perhaps I would. Maybe as an Fe user, you would be better served by sitting down with a friend and talking it over.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm like you, OP, in that I get violent (not with people!). I'll hit things, throw things, bite things - anything to get the negative emotions unleashed. I've broken more than one mobile phone that way, but not any bones. Yet

Yeah, it isn't particularly healthy but it works eh?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Going on a walk does it for me. Spending an hour or two with just my random thoughts and observing either nature or people is very calming.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lets eat pie View Post
    That's pretty much what I find myself doing. I will usually fall into a state of frenzied restlessness, looking for meaningless tasks to distract myself and somehow make myself feel like I am being productive. At this point I do not even notice that I may be bottling up negative emotions, or even where such negativity comes from; like a plateau sort of situation. However, it comes to a point when one negative event or a wrong statement said to me (or both,) and everything seems to rush out all at once. I somehow manage to control myself into directing my anger onto inanimate objects, restricting the damage to things, or myself even, while lashing out. However, after this outburst, and after sleeping on it for a day or two, I usually find myself back to a normal, healthier state.
    This sums it up perfectly. Depending on the situation I'm usually back to normal in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I usually find the best way to deal with such things is to sit down somewhere quiet and think it all over to a resolve the issue, or at least learn to accept it. Then again, I'm an Fi user, so perhaps I would. Maybe as an Fe user, you would be better served by sitting down with a friend and talking it over.
    Venting does help sometimes, but if it gets to the point where I'm about to snap and turn violent I usually don't want anything to do with anyone. Its more about releasing pent up energy and draining myself if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I'm like you, OP, in that I get violent (not with people!). I'll hit things, throw things, bite things - anything to get the negative emotions unleashed. I've broken more than one mobile phone that way, but not any bones. Yet
    As I've gotten older I've learned to control myself to not break anything of worth...well...except my hand.

Thanks for the replies guys

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I currently identify as INxP but eh-
    I HAVE to move. My favorite way of dealing with negative emotions is going on a drive and listening to music. Immersing myself in sensory pleasure is much better than stagnating with immobility.
    I'll cry if I really have to, too.

MBTI
    INTx

I pace a lot, do housework, play violent video games, lift weights... anything to burn off energy and distract me until I'm able to sleep.

A good long sleep is the only thing that really clears my mind, everything else is a coping mechanism.

MBTI
    SEXY

Not an INTX, but still answering because I can.

After something bad happening in my life, sports during the day, alcohol in the evening.
    (removed)

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I usually find the best way to deal with such things is to sit down somewhere quiet and think it all over to a resolve the issue, or at least learn to accept it.
    That and I cry.