User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Thread: INTP and GOD

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Because I am God and I have the power to do anything I want!
    And I'm Nikola Tesla. I'm above God.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    And I'm Nikola Tesla. I'm above God.
    No because he dies and God is immortal. I may have said that once but ya it was just crazy talk. Don't take my posts too seriously. Just laugh at it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    No because he dies and God is immortal. I may have said that once but ya it was just crazy talk. Don't take my posts too seriously. Just laugh at it!
    I'm an atheist. Just fucking around.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Here is God and his preferred method of transport:

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

the thing with the god is that its many things, one aspect of it is simply things happening, i think seeing it as god is pretty stupid. some people think that god is some entity, this aspect i think is an projection of people being this god themselves, but not realizing it. god is also an creator, i think this is a mixture of tho two aspects i said. i dont think i ever really believed in god, when i was young i naturally noted religions and visited church at times(in some occasions like when someone got married), but i didnt really get this god thing, and when i did(i think somewhere around when i was 10 or something), i didnt believe in it and it just sounded silly that some people believed in that sort of stuff. luckily my mom has never been very religious person(believes in god and angels, but doesent like how religions view them) and we quit the church when i was 11(never really went there anyways).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't know, but then if I have to say about my relationship with God. I think it would be this:
    "I don't believe in God, but I miss him." I am haunted by this certainty: all my life would be spent seeking for a God who does not knows and loves me.

I grew up in a non-religious household. My parents believed in Taoism and most of my relatives subscribed to Buddhism with the occasional one or two Roman Catholics and Muslims. I was never expected to choose a religion, or to believe in a God. I think it is the way Taoism works, you kind of choose and craft your own Way - your spiritual beliefs and values - and this organic and malleable system has sort of framed my own beliefs on God. I don't know with certainty. I kind of believe there is a cosmic force at work; something greater and grander than we could comprehend, it may be God or it may not be. It has the sensibilities of a Spinoza's God. And I think the lack of God and a religious structure for moral conduct and ethics during my childhood and teenage hood kind of influenced me. I am horribly uncertain about my own beliefs and values towards God - the only thing I am sort of certain or would like it to be true: God is a product of human societies and minds - a long history of shaped human perceptions, motives and actions.

When I see this world, laid and constructed so beautifully, I want to believe in a God created world. But I don't know. I like to believe God is a watchmaker, impartial and unconcerned with the trivial affairs of Man. For Man was not a carefully constructed being it created. I think I am afflicted with this curse or this wanting or desire to pursue God; to seek for my spiritual Truth or my Way. I become incredibly envious and sad when I see my religious friends talking about their religion. Because they share or have this private spiritual world that I can never belong to and it feels incredibly lonely and sad. Once, I fasted with my Muslim friend during the fasting month (actually I just felt really bad eating in front of her since she looked so hungry; so I ended up not eating for the whole day) and during the moment when they broke fast, where we were seated in a Muslim eating place, it was incredibly beautiful to hear the Islamic prayers and see them joined during that brief moment that commenced the end of the fasting session. And I feel like I can never truly belong to any part of it.

I read the Bible, some of the Buddhist scriptures, attempts to read the Quran - all in the vain hopes of finding a God that I could love and believe in. But then with churches and organized religions, I don't know, at the end of the day, they are created with human intentions and motives and values and so they are flawed and imperfect interpretations of the Christian God. The different groups have different motives for valuing a belief over another. For example, the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, but then stealing and lust are also sins and he has never explicitly stated a hierarchy in the sins. So why is there such a huge hooha over homosexuality being a greater sin than the mentioned? I don't know, I think that maybe it is because humans manipulate and bend them for their own purposes. And at the end of the day, even if there was really a God (loving or impartial), our human minds and interpretations blinds us from the real truth. (?) I don't know. Probably explains why I can't seem to subscribe to the Christian God or as a matter of fact, to any other Gods.

But then I am still searching and wandering.

Edit: I don't know, maybe it's my need for answers or a resolution to this big wibbly complex "thing". I was thinking it is remarkable and interesting how our human perceptions have shaped and cause the evolution of gods or God. A while ago, I was reading about the brief (yeah, brief) outline and history of Indian religion. And it was interesting to see how Early Vedic religions (origins of Hinduism) evolve to not only become the modern concept of Hinduism, but then grew to form other major religions such as Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism. And how the other religions were reactions/responses to the early Vedic beliefs; how the societies psyche and individual beliefs have shaped and moulded the religions in subtle but prominent ways.
    “Sometimes I’m terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The idea of God scares me on a personal level, many wars and billions of victims throughout the ages can be linked directly to the choice of humans to believe in higher powers and deities of all shapes and sizes.

But the idea of humans without a sense of belonging scares me more. If you believe and you need religion as you need oxygen, water and sustanance. Then don't let me keep you from it. Because after all, time and time again we prove to be a savage and irrational race. Whilest religion can be linked to many a crime of humanity, it is not the idea of religion itself that is at fault, but the practitioners that are at fault. In fact, I'm pretty certain that without religion, humanity would most likely be worse off.

Whilst religion is a key integral part of the way of life of many a people to this day, I think eventually religion will get more of a luxury position for all believers. Standing beneath a universal moral code that can be shared by all humans, so whatever your beliefs, we can all coexist peacefully beneath the transcending umbrella of a common sense of morality. That is a world I would love to live in.

Needless to say, I myself am agnostic. I already stand beneath that umbrella of universal morality and find that there is no importance or value in any religion that adheres to a set of specifications.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nicothyun View Post
    But then I am still searching and wandering.
    I don't believe in deities and I certainly don't believe in organized religion (it gives people too much permission to do evil), but I do believe in spirituality. I used to sneer at that too, but the examples of people like you changed my mind.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but in the meantime consider the possibility that the search is supposed to never end.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I don't believe in deities and I certainly don't believe in organized religion (it gives people too much permission to do evil), but I do believe in spirituality. I used to sneer at that too, but the examples of people like you changed my mind.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but in the meantime consider the possibility that the search is supposed to never end.
    Thank you. I hope so too...

Hahaha but, I am actually resigned (it's not a bad thing though) to the fact that I might never find what I am looking for, given that my thoughts and beliefs will constantly be evolving as I am increasingly exposed to different influences, people, environment and circumstances. But then again, I suppose it is not a bad thing, maybe my search for God or the mysterious would give meaning to my life so it is actually kind of satisfying (as cynical and absurd this might sound). Although the absence of God makes it harder to defer responsibility, "to push the blame" or even to be used as a mental support during hard situations, but if I could transcend my "reliance" for such, maybe I could grow stronger mentally. But then again, it gets kind of lonely too. Haha idk what I am saying haha.

And haha I guess INTPs like complexity and abstract systems (etc.) and maybe, the search for answers to the issue of God might be the most complex, biggest and most beautiful theory/'system'/etc. Because the search sort of leads you to question and analyse human nature, behaviour and thoughts and idk haha I guess we, INTPs like a good puzzle.
    “Sometimes I’m terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

When you've grown up in a Westernised country, you are taught tons about why science is rational, but almost nothing at all about understanding G-d. Most people know more about things that we know don't even exist, like a mystical force called "gravity", whose attributed effects we now know are due to the shape of the universe, than they know about what they call G-d, and much of that, they get from TV.

Of course anyone growing up in such countries struggle with the concept. Anyone would struggle with advanced calculus if they were denied being taught basic arithmetic, and even someone like that, can learn advanced calculus in under a year. Understanding theology takes a lot more time and effort for Westerners.