• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Are INTPs good drivers?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for some reason, I drive better off road than on road.

snow, sand, ice, dirt, mud, forests etc

I've been told to handle a car marvelously on slick or snowy roads. I have no 4x4 off road experience or anything, probably good at that too though. :p

I think the fact I drive very good on snow is because I drive very smooth and stable though. People skidding all over the place just tug too strong on their steering wheel, simple as. :D

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
So, it's simple really: When at a stop sign, come to a COMPLETE stop. It takes 1 second. If changing lanes, use your blinker (that's why they are installed in the car). Don't go over that 5mph above the speed limit (in some places there is more like a 10mph "grace" speed limit) - and in every case, do not "stand out" when driving. Don't be the fastest car on that road at that moment. Always make sure someone else is going at least as fast as you are. Put your registration stickers on your plates as soon as you get them in the mail. Blah, blah, blah.

It all depends on where you're at too. I live in Chicago so the majority of the time cops have better things to do than bust people for minor traffic offenses. Once I get into the suburbs though its a whole different story. That's where it helps to be really good at spotting cops :). I agree "don't stand out" is very important.

This is probably why I'm a bad driver though. I'm way more concerned with how I can get away with driving how I want.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i have never driven a car, but i can ride a bike pretty well

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Its not our fault...if they let us drive on the road like we drive in video games like GTA it would all be fine and dandy...except the running over hookers after we had sex with them so we can get our money back part...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its not our fault...if they let us drive on the road like we drive in video games like GTA it would all be fine and dandy...except the running over hookers after we had sex with them so we can get our money back part...

That's not allowed? :shock:

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh right. Pfew....

What's up with the bloodstains not dissappearing after a few seconds though. Such a drag. :(

I'll let you know when I figure out how to hack life. Might have something to do with God but I'm not gonna take any chances with that just yet.

Spamtar I'm starting to wonder if "fine and dandy" was a George Carlin reference. If it was... :D

If not I'll make one anyways. "I drive kinda recklessly, I take a lot of chances, I never repair my vehicle and I don't believe in traffic laws."

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll let you know when I figure out how to hack life. Might have something to do with God but I'm not gonna take any chances with that just yet.

There is no Humpty Dumpty and there is no God, none, not one, no God and there never was! :D

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Solely stereotypically I'd say, that INTP's would have the driving skills, but they may have their heads in the clouds sometimes.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Solely stereotypically I'd say, that INTP's would have the driving skills, but they may have their heads in the clouds sometimes.

Better view from up there though.

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
People are generally terrified when I'm at the wheel. I'm constantly zoning out, ignore the speedometer(either going too fast or slow), get distracting with changing music, break traffic laws when I think I can get away with it, and get aggressive when people are in front of me(I hate being behind someone). But I've never had a ticket or an accident, though I've had some close calls with both. I would call myself a bad driver with a heaping of luck.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My head is NOT in the clouds.

It is up in space, perhaps on Luna.

Anyway, all INTPs that I know are good drivers.

marquix

MBTI Type
INTP
I think INTP we are great defensive drivers. I like to understand potentially dangerous situations and be ready for a split second decision to swerve, change lanes, brake or accelerate.

I tend to view driving as piloting. Everyone else is stressed out, in a rush, or eating french fries :)

I also like to look at lady drivers and pick out the sexy ones a block away only to laugh in surprise when they appear 30 years older than I thought !

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Those who have trouble focusing on the details of their physical environment may tend to have trouble with driving, as driving requires a significant amount of attention to signs, other cars, the turns in the road, etc.

NPs (especially ENPs) tend to have a lot of trouble focusing on the details of their physical environment, as Ne lends itself to holistic assumptions based on a few loose hunches and focuses more on imagined possibilities than immediate concrete and tangible sensory input. Thus, through sheer lack of focus, Ne-ers may have a hard time gauging the spacial relationships of the present reality.

That being said, it's safe to speculate, from a typological standpoint, that NPs (INTPs included) may have trouble with driving.

I know that I personally often find myself spacing out while driving because the experience in my car is not mentally stimulating enough, so my mind drifts off to some other place. My mental drifts have certainly lead to drifts into the other lane or straight through red-lights. I've even found myself driving 10 miles past my intended destination because I'm thinking about how much fun I'll be having once I reach my destination, rather than the steps I need to take to actually get there...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't buy it. I'm as N as the next guy and I drive around in a labyrinthian small city with narrow streets with parked cars everywhere alternate with freeway-like road...so...variety...and I love and drive pretty well I think.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
^Generalities based on abstract speculation vs. an individual case

The theory may not apply to you, and it doesn't have to for you to be an Ne-er or for the theory to be reasonable.

It's speculative and generalized, so one wouldn't expect it to hold true for 100% of Ne-ers...

If your argument, based on one case, is valid, then it would logically follow that my argument that says I'm an Ne-er who's bad at driving, thus Ne-ers in general are bad drivers, is just as valid for you. So why don't you see worth in the personal anecdote that I stated in my previous post as sufficient evidence for NPs being bad drivers?

Oh, that's right. Because one individual case holds no credibility for a theory regarding general trends...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
^Generalities based on abstract speculation vs. an individual case

The theory may not apply to you, and it doesn't have to for you to be an Ne-er or for the theory to be reasonable.

It's speculative and generalized, so one wouldn't expect it to hold true for 100% of Ne-ers...

Okay. You win. But that applies to every single unproven theory in the world I'm afraid...I just think I'm head-in-the-clouds enough to relate to the average NP in that way (cause yeah...I don't look at road signs n shit that much really...I just look at my surroundings very holistically and ) to know if that were the case.