• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] self control with INTP

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
are INTP good with self control? I tell myself not to do something but always end up doing it. Addiction only stimulate my neuro and I should easily overcome that. I should have STRONG mind! Everytime I get bored or something I end up doing it again.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We have amazing self control, unless it's about our interests.

Mental addictions to INTP's is more like. This is fun, I want to spend my time doing this. If I don't, I'll be bored while I think about doing it anyway.

It can be a problem for some, you obviously have to make some priorities to not let your life suffer under your interests too much.

I mean, I could do the things I want to do 18 hours a day and 6 hours a sleep, and never tire.

We obsess with our interests.

We can only apply self control on our interests when we realize the amount of time we spend on our interests is too much and will eventually result in collapse. And then we can work on controlling our interests.

Hardest for me was going from rebellious, freedom student soul, to fulltime worker boy. I just couldn't concentrate on my work. At work I was thinking about things I would do after work, all day long, every day. I really had to work on that since work suffered under it at first. Nowadays, I can seperate the two perfectly fine. I can be totally obsessed with something in one moment and *snap* suddenly place it away and do something I am supposed to do, without leaving my mind with the obsession.

I never had much problems being a student, because the stuff I picked up on classes was enough for me to get passing grades in general, and I never had to study hard for anything. And could always find the time to read the material before going to sleep prior to tests and such.

So ehm, maturing and training. 's all you can do!

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
telling yourself not to do it doesnt usually work.

make an explicit decision to not doing the activity does. work for me anyways...cuz if i cant even control my own mind, then i am really a very weak individual. being weak is an insult so now i have to prove myself that im not weak...this is done by following the sticking with the decision i made earlier

there is more to it than "weak and strong" but thats a way to start in the direction of discretion against self

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have amazing self control, unless it's about our interests.

yeah, it's a weird dichotomy.

With some things, I was just impervious to temptation.
Other things, not so much.
(One thing I could not resist was my curiosity and/or my interest in something new.)

The "normal" temptations were weird too.
When I was younger, I was extremely good at blocking out physical needs and desires, and emotional needs and desires.
The "T" lock is very capable and very strong.
However, once I started to loosen up and make allowance for emotional gratification(s), the whole dam broke. I have a really hard time, years later, now saying no to things that make me feel good. It's annoying.

Basically, though, to me, it seems to depend upon how much you live "within your rationality."

Unique

I agree with mostly what has been said

Our interests can also land into those things that are "typically addictive" too but its different to us, once we understand it, there is a good chance we will get bored and move on

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
+1 to everyone. :D

I think there's a definite nihilistic streak in all INTP's (to varying degrees with each INTP individual, however).

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Hardest for me was going from rebellious, freedom student soul, to fulltime worker boy. I just couldn't concentrate on my work. At work I was thinking about things I would do after work, all day long, every day. I really had to work on that since work suffered under it at first. Nowadays, I can seperate the two perfectly fine. I can be totally obsessed with something in one moment and *snap* suddenly place it away and do something I am supposed to do, without leaving my mind with the obsession.

What sort of training and hard work specifically did you do in order to accomplish this level of self-control?

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Yes, I can relate to this.

I find it helps to verbalize your decision to someone else who matters to you, if it's something serious. "I'm not going to do X anymore." (or conversely, "I'm going to do X")

Then later, when I'm considering doing/not doing X, I say to myself "You want to be one of those people who does what they say they will, don't you?" and that is usually enough to keep me on track. Even though I have been definitely guilty of being "flakey", I hate this attribute in both myself and others so it's been an important thing for me to "fix".

I also agree that what we might be addicted to or find lack of control over is rarely the usual stuff - I've never had a problem with drugs, and I've tried lots. My problems are more like agreeing to do something because I lack the will to make an argument, and then later trying to get out of it. Or not finishing projects. Or not sticking to a damn schedule.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am not very comfortable in the vicinity of people who say they have good self-control. I always fear then, their aura of self-control could expand and engulf others around them.

Besides that isnt intp the type you choose, if you are a passionate weed smoker ? Or am I a victim to my own stereotypes ?

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I am not very comfortable in the vicinity of people who say they have good self-control. I always fear then, their aura of self-control could expand and engulf others around them.

lol. I find those people to be a challenge - it usually becomes my goal to get them to be the naked one on the copier at the office party, so help me god. In college I would amuse myself at parties by getting everyone really excited about body shots, or skinny dipping, and then just observing with a smirk on my face instead of participating. of course, it helps if these self-controlled people are willing to drink I guess... otherwise it's much more of a challenge.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

Besides that isnt intp the type you choose, if you are a passionate weed smoker ? Or am I a victim to my own stereotypes ?

An ENFJ friend does this too me sometimes. he puts me down to earth and calls me out on my bullshit without actual judgement. It's great, but I don't know anybody else who can do this.

BTW. He's one of the two people I've done LSD with, I once drank 9 litres of wine between the two of us with him, and he used to be an avid weed smoker who quit in the name of self control. So he's quite familiar with my (former) habits.

And no, passionate weed smoking does occur amongst other types as well.