User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 187

  1. #151
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    So they spend their lives drained because their culture demands it?
    I think maybe you have a very deterministic view of MBTI.

    For example the strength of your introversion isn't purely "personal", much less a predetermined biological fact. It is of course very cultural. Anglo-Saxon cultures encourage introverted behaviour. A lot of people who think it's completely natural to be as introverted as they are, if they had grown up in a culture where you constantly have large families visiting you all the time, to give just one example, would not be as introverted as they are, nor think it natural to be.

    Likewise with many things. For example I think its "natural" to be as T as I am, but obviosuly being a male, this has been socially constructed to a certain extent.

    In short - MBTI explains the functions but the end result is hugely varied according to culture.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  2. #152
    Member Cerridwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    36

    Default

    If by "juggle" you mean unknowingly seduced... I think my number is about three... maybe four... according to my roommate.

    If by "juggle" you mean honestly and truly made an effort to be around them, I'd have to say one, at most.

    If by "juggle" you mean the action of throwing and catching, none, as of now, but I'm sure I could dream up some blueprints for an anti-gravity machine that would make it possible and then maybe, sorta, will-do-it-soon-I-promise [read:never] hire people to build it for me.

    I don't really understand why you would want to juggle relationships. In all I find them a lot of work, and a lot of messing around with that silly Feeling function that makes me uncomfortable. Not to mention it's as if your life becomes more scheduled and cramped what with all the coupley stuff you most likely will have to do (unless you're fuck buddies and all parties agree with that label... then it's okay and carry on). That thought alone makes me want to cringe. While I enjoy going out every once in a while, at the end of the day I'm introvert. I LIKE my alone time, and if anything detracts from that, then I'd probably drop it very quickly.

    Then again, I'm an INTP female, talking about males, so I suppose I can't really relate that much.
    Nothing can become anything if you tilt your head and squint.

  3. #153
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    If by "juggle" you mean unknowingly seduced... I think my number is about three... maybe four... according to my roommate.

    If by "juggle" you mean honestly and truly made an effort to be around them, I'd have to say one, at most.

    If by "juggle" you mean the action of throwing and catching, none, as of now, but I'm sure I could dream up some blueprints for an anti-gravity machine that would make it possible and then maybe, sorta, will-do-it-soon-I-promise [read:never] hire people to build it for me.

    I don't really understand why you would want to juggle relationships. In all I find them a lot of work, and a lot of messing around with that silly Feeling function that makes me uncomfortable. Not to mention it's as if your life becomes more scheduled and cramped what with all the coupley stuff you most likely will have to do (unless you're fuck buddies and all parties agree with that label... then it's okay and carry on). That thought alone makes me want to cringe. While I enjoy going out every once in a while, at the end of the day I'm introvert. I LIKE my alone time, and if anything detracts from that, then I'd probably drop it very quickly.

    Then again, I'm an INTP female, talking about males, so I suppose I can't really relate that much.
    Despite your closing disclaimer, I agree with virtually every sentence of this, from the unknowingly seducing people (and being told secondhand) to the strong need for alone time. The only thing I disagree with is the thought of coupley things making me totally cringe. I think they sound nice, even if they are frequent, but I also know that it wouldn't be long before I'd need to cut back on that kind of stuff (though not necessarily stop altogether).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  4. #154
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Hmm, good points about unknowingly seducing others...maybe there should be a disclaimer to others that says, "If you ever have a positive social experience with an INTP, it was probably an accident."



  5. #155
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    It's sort of true. The last romantic relationship I had I didn't realize was a romantic relationship until the making out started. I was like "What? When did this happen?"
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  6. #156
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    I was recently informed I was married with a baby.

    Who knew?

  7. #157
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I think maybe you have a very deterministic view of MBTI.

    For example the strength of your introversion isn't purely "personal", much less a predetermined biological fact. It is of course very cultural. Anglo-Saxon cultures encourage introverted behaviour.
    Maybe in England. I grew up with a lot of pressure to be extroverted and a lot of shaming because I wasn't.

    I do think introversion and extroversion determined largely by the way the brain itself is wired, I think this independent of MBTI.


    A lot of people who think it's completely natural to be as introverted as they are, if they had grown up in a culture where you constantly have large families visiting you all the time, to give just one example, would not be as introverted as they are, nor think it natural to be.
    I can't agree with this.

    Likewise with many things. For example I think its "natural" to be as T as I am, but obviosuly being a male, this has been socially constructed to a certain extent.
    Yes and if you were a Feeler, like my husband, you would feel the stress and strain of exterting a facade at work etc.

    In short - MBTI explains the functions but the end result is hugely varied according to culture.
    But when introverts pretend to be extroverts, there will always be a certain level of energy expended that drains one. Unless one is not introverted.

  8. #158
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    zero

  9. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Hmm, good points about unknowingly seducing others...maybe there should be a disclaimer to others that says, "If you ever have a positive social experience with an INTP, it was probably an accident."
    lol this is so true. reminds me of my ex

  10. #160
    Member Cerridwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    "If you ever have a positive social experience with an INTP, it was probably an accident."
    Does semi-drunk INTP interaction count as an accident?

    ... Just wondering...
    Nothing can become anything if you tilt your head and squint.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] How do you know an INTP is in love? INTP's please Help!
    By ana in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
  2. [INTP] can an intp use introverted intuition?
    By chado in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
  3. [INTP] How have you, as an INTP, dealt with a painful breakup?
    By NotOfTwo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
  4. [INTP] How to seduce as an INTP
    By laughingebony in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO