• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Why do ENTPs perceive any form of disagreement as a challenge to an epic duel?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Did you read anything I said? He becomes cross with me if I disagree with him and gets personal. It's not real debating. He actually told me the other day he's just been using me to feed his ego *sighs*

Compensatory NPD. Sorry about that - these guys suck. Probably had a rougher childhood than he lets on.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
The feeding his ego thing doesn't surprise me. He sounds pretty insecure, and wanted an adoring audience rather than a friend. When you disagree with him you not only fail to feed his ego but actually challenge it. Thus the purpose of your 'friendship' is voided. That's my take with the info supplied at least, though it may be biased by the fact you're a fellow INFP.

Frankly I'm surprised you stuck it out for as long as you did. Exploring that would probably be a whole other thread though. ;)

When I find highly imaginative, intelligent people who will discuss ideas and theories on end with me, I tend to extend an abnormal amount of tolerance for their bullshit, because having that outlet means so much to me.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Compensatory NPD. Sorry about that - these guys suck. Probably had a rougher childhood than he lets on.

Yeah, his mother killed himself when he was young and a variety of other traumatic shit that I'm done empathizing with him about. I never thought about a personality disorder, but the guy definitely is a bit of a psychopath and fits the NPD profile to a high degree. A full blown disorder though? Meh...who knows. I'm not going to waste anymore time analyzing a douchebag.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Yeah, his mother killed himself when he was young and a variety of other traumatic shit that I'm done empathizing with him about. I never thought about a personality disorder, but the guy definitely is a bit of a psychopath and fits the NPD profile to a high degree. A full blown disorder though? Meh...who knows. I'm not going to waste anymore time analyzing a douchebag.

Yup, that'll do it. He blames himself for his mom killing himself, and at the core considers himself utterly worthless... which is why he doesn't care about others.

Terrible way to go through life. Hope he gets help.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Yup, that'll do it. He blames himself for his mom killing himself, and at the core considers himself utterly worthless... which is why he doesn't care about others.

Terrible way to go through life. Hope he gets help.

He did appear to have a history of dating abused girls that he felt compelled to "help". Only problem is is that he would dispose of them all unmercifully in the end...

ugh...I'm getting grossed out now thinking about his draw to me.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
He did appear to have a history of dating abused girls that he felt compelled to "help". Only problem is is that he would dispose of them all unmercifully in the end...

ugh...I'm getting grossed out now thinking about his draw to me.

Don't fight it - you'll need a solid memory of those feelings to recognize these guys in the future. I'm guessing he isn't the only jerk like this you've come into contact with.

And yeah, he disposed of them unmercifully in the end. The most important woman in his life put a bullet in her head. As far as he's concerned, that's the only way relationships end - with violence.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Don't fight it - you'll need a solid memory of those feelings to recognize these guys in the future. I'm guessing he isn't the only jerk like this you've come into contact with.

And yeah, he disposed of them unmercifully in the end. The most important woman in his life put a bullet in her head. As far as he's concerned, that's the only way relationships end - with violence.

Yup!

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2193-hate-enfp-tell-us-why-85.html#post911753

hmm...you're good at this. Me...not so much:doh:

I think if my time with the ENTP weren't all one-on-one I would have been able to get a clearer picture. Definitely need to be more conscious of these sorts of things. Not going to lie, I feel incredibly creeped out right now.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Not going to lie, I feel incredibly creeped out right now.

Yeah... Don't do that, I think you'd be a more centred and happier person if you learned how to focus on the positives. So, tell me what's positive about you severing ties with him?

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah... Don't do that, I think you'd be a more centred and happier person if you learned how to focus on the positives. So, tell me what's positive about you severing ties with him?

hmm...let's see...I've extricated myself as a source of narcissistic supply? I appreciate the consideration, but I'm alright Shimmy. I have accumulated a fair amount of experience with the disordered.

I have an ENFJ friend with OCD, an INTP relative with avoidant personality disorder, ENTJ step-sister with schizophrenia, INTJ ex with aspergers, and now I've potentially encountered a second case of NPD. I'll just add it to the list o' crazies and call it a day.:)

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
you have a small pness?!?!?!?:rofl1:

Chaolioe

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
Here are some very simple linguistic skills everybody can learn. Say "Yes, and..." rather then "but".

Perfect!! Perfect, perfect, perfect.
Two of the people closest to me are an ESTJ and an ENTP.
In the eyes of a nine, they argue A LOT. And I always have to sit there listening to how they are arguing with eachother... about the same side of an argument.
Te takes Ti's ideas and adds more to them.
Ti takes back and deepends them, etc.
The whole time, both look extremely argumentative but are going through a series of shouted "yes, and.."s.
They are never upset at eachother after.

I think all ExTx types seem like they are arguing when they really aren't.

ALSO language technique wise, never ever victimize yourself.

It's never "You're arguing about this and it needs to stop!"
Say "I feel like we're arguing, are we?" or "I feel like your voice is raised, I'm sorry, but could you tone it down maybe?"

By making it seem as though you could be the wrong one, it disarms others. Accusations create more anger. Understanding leads to happiness.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Perfect!! Perfect, perfect, perfect.
Two of the people closest to me are an ESTJ and an ENTP.
In the eyes of a nine, they argue A LOT. And I always have to sit there listening to how they are arguing with eachother... about the same side of an argument.
Te takes Ti's ideas and adds more to them.
Ti takes back and deepends them, etc.
The whole time, both look extremely argumentative but are going through a series of shouted "yes, and.."s.
They are never upset at eachother after.

I think all ExTx types seem like they are arguing when they really aren't.

ALSO language technique wise, never ever victimize yourself.

It's never "You're arguing about this and it needs to stop!"
Say "I feel like we're arguing, are we?" or "I feel like your voice is raised, I'm sorry, but could you tone it down maybe?"

By making it seem as though you could be the wrong one, it disarms others. Accusations create more anger. Understanding leads to happiness.

I have a job at a technical helpdesk. Apart from solving all the technical issues people have, I have to deal with unhappy or even angry customers all the time. I'm quite good at getting people to my level. When I'm enthusiastic everybody around me gets enthusiastic, when I'm down everybody around me gets down.