User Tag List

First 45678 Last

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    sounds like something i'd say to someone if i couldn't get rid of them any other way.
    Perhaps that could be the case, but he was the one initiating contact. He told me the below and then later reasoned the need I filled was feeding his ego.

"I'm angry at myself for feeling the need to keep talking to someone I don't really respect and I wrongly take it out on you. It doesn't make sense why I keep needing to talk to you yet I do and that pisses me off."

I just don't get how someone could get an ego boost from someone they don't respect? I would think anything validating I might have thrown his way would be discounted by that fact.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    Perhaps that could be the case, but he was the one initiating contact. He told me the below and then later reasoned the need I filled was feeding his ego.

"I'm angry at myself for feeling the need to keep talking to someone I don't really respect and I wrongly take it out on you. It doesn't make sense why I keep needing to talk to you yet I do and that pisses me off."

I just don't get how someone could get an ego boost from someone they don't respect? I would think anything validating I might have thrown his way would be discounted by that fact.
    ah, sounds like brutal honesty to me. just that while he's talking honestly to you about how you were just used to feed his ego, he's simultaneously fucking with yours.

either way, though, i think you said you two weren't talking anymore, so i'm sure you'll forget he ever existed soon enough.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

@ OP: We are gigantic show-offs, our auxiliary Ti makes us rather technical (Not as much as INTPs, but still to a significant degree), and our primary Ne means we generally develop and refine ideas by using other people as a sounding board. All that leads ENTPs to be extremely argumentative, though we're actually not as easy to offend as you seem to think. Just go with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Meh, my ego hasn't been damaged by any of this. I do find it a bit disconcerting that I couldn't determine his motives myself though. I wear some pretty thick rose colored glasses and usually concentrate on the best in people so not too surprised about that.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    @ OP: We are gigantic show-offs, our auxiliary Ti makes us rather technical (Not as much as INTPs, but still to a significant degree), and our primary Ne means we generally develop and refine ideas by using other people as a sounding board. All that leads ENTPs to be extremely argumentative, though we're actually not as easy to offend as you seem to think. Just go with it.
    you really should read the thread first. it's more complex than that.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    you really should read the thread first. it's more complex than that.

In an indirect way though it help makes a bit more sense of his actions. If Ne makes you guys quite dependent on others for evaluating your ideas, which are central to your identity, then his drive for validation is more understandable.

Being introverted I rely very little on external cues for self evaluation. His behavior is quite at odds with how I operate. I still find it all quite irrational and perplexing.

MBTI
    ENTP

I've read more of your posts, Thessaly...

What you describe isn't the verbal sparring I was talking about in my post. You aren't responsible for his ego, for pity's sake!
    Perhaps this might be too harsh on him, but now I'm thinking about an aquaintance of mine, who is narcistic. He's probably also ENTP or maybe ENFP. He understands the art of making other people feel sorry for him, while most of his problems are caused by his own behavior. He's also a genius, witty, and generally fun to hang around with until you disagree with him.
    Maybe that's something you should look into. I'm not saying your ENTP is a narcist, but it's a possibility he has such a tendency.

I'm sorry for you. Remember... you aren't responsible for his happiness, nor are you responsible for anybody's happiness. You can do lots of things to help people feel better, feel welcome and at ease. You can probably even help people on their way to a happy life. But they've got to make the choices themselves, they've got to accept your help, they have to shape their lives. Ultimately it's their life and if they choose to be unhappy unless everything is perfect, there isn't much you can do.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Looks like we have a case of under-developed Fe and Si. I remember when I used to be a little bit like that myself. It's a shame.
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    I did give him a verbal lashing. I can be unmercifully cutting...I just feel guilty about it afterward. I'd like to think he'll put some thought into my analysis of his behavior, but I'm doubtful of it.
    He'll think about it extensively, he might not actually reach a conclusion though.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INFP

The feeding his ego thing doesn't surprise me. He sounds pretty insecure, and wanted an adoring audience rather than a friend. When you disagree with him you not only fail to feed his ego but actually challenge it. Thus the purpose of your 'friendship' is voided. That's my take with the info supplied at least, though it may be biased by the fact you're a fellow INFP.

Frankly I'm surprised you stuck it out for as long as you did. Exploring that would probably be a whole other thread though.