• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] The compassionate INTJ ...

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
CompassionateINTJ.jpg

True?

False?

Examples?

Counterexamples?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
True.

Sometimes too compassionate, I think (Fi overwhelm), so that the situation isn't exactly helped.

Examples:

When a person (I care about) isn't feeling well, I take care of them and will leave my own fun behind to tend to them.
When I sense that a person is feeling left out I will engage them.

I am compelled to do these things.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
True.

I am often perceived as a sarcastic a-hole to those that dont know me very well, but to a select group of people i can be very caring; I would do just about anything for someone i consider to be a TRUE freind (not many of those).
In addition to this i consider myself to be an "unconventional" humanitarian.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...It's quite true. We may be quite compassionate with the one with the problems and talk it through with them in a more caring manner.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
When I sense that a person is feeling left out I will engage them.

I do this, I always thought it wa an Fe thing.

Re the OP, yes the INTJ's I know are quite compassionate, though some try to hide it.

On the other hand I and other INTP's I know, can often be less compassionate than we like to appear/think we are.

gromit

likes this
Yes, that has been my experience, and they are great for helping when you have problems...

(am I even allowed to post here???)

sculpting

I know very few young INTJs.

My mid thirties INTJs feel deeply but very quietly. But they can be very compassionate to very specific people or causes. But can look very cold on the surface.

The older INTJs-they often are much more open about this sense of compassion-they care for larger groups of people. There is a sense of mentorship, inspired leadership, devotion to integrity. Like they tangled their Ni visions up with Fi sorta. They use their strength to drive those goals forward in a sense of stewardship. They still have impossible standards, and but are somewhat more accepting of my 80% half hearted efforts than my mid-30s friends.

I so love my intjs.

The ones I know

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
On more than one occasion, I was compassionate in my own horribly analytical problem solving manner.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I believe everyone should be able to help themselves first. I hate beggers or people who refused to do anything to help themselves. When someone expect handouts I tell them off, especially if they get pissed off....I love it. But, when I think someone cannot help themself at no fault of their own, I am compel to help them.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I choose to act compassionate towards someone else, the labels like 'kindness' or 'generosity' tend to slip my mind because I'm so intensely focused on the integrity of the act itself, regardless of what others may believe. Often times, my compassion is delivered in a very subtle (though effective) format, and due to its hidden nature, people are typically shocked when they discover how much thought and effort I put into helping them out, because my apathetic demeanor suggests nothing of that sort.

I suppose I like it that way. :cheese: It's better to be unexpected. On the other hand, my subtlety sometimes gives people the wrong impression. [As an example: My mother thought for years that I loathed her very presence, but honestly, it was quite the opposite -- I highly admired her dedication & strength of will. Always have. Just being expressive about it never crossed my mind.]

Re the OP, yes the INTJ's I know are quite compassionate, though some try to hide it.

I tend to downplay (or avoid hinting at) my compassionate side mostly out of self-preservation. I like to know that 'kindness' is something I do because I genuinely feel it, not out of a social obligation.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to downplay (or avoid hinting at) my compassionate side mostly out of self-preservation. I like to know that 'kindness' is something I do because I genuinely feel it, not out of a social obligation.

I suspect this is very much a learned habit for INTJs. That tertiary Fi, if reasonably healthy at all, wants to help others just as much as an xNFP. What happens, though, is that eventually we note that others are taking advantage of us and feel entitled to the help, or are ungrateful for the help, or otherwise treat the INTJ with disrespect or disdain in spite of the help.

I think this makes INTJs shield that part of ourselves with a cold, unemotional exterior, to prevent being asked for help. And when that help is requested, we really have no problem just saying, "No," no matter how rude it may sound, as long as we suspect that it isn't a genuine need.

As Oro notes, we gradually become older and more experienced, both with establishing boundaries and determining the motives of others, and we thus gradually become more open and helpful and compassionate when the need arises.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, that has been my experience, and they are great for helping when you have problems...

(am I even allowed to post here???)

Yes, you are, Gromit! :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Yes. I don't have across the board compassion and I don't bend to what society says women in particular should be (nurturing, compassionate, emotional). I simply have it when I feel it and it's not forced when I do.

Lightyear

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

GROUP HUG! :hug:

I wanna cuddle my stone-faced little angels. :D

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

I suspect this is very much a learned habit for INTJs. That tertiary Fi, if reasonably healthy at all, wants to help others just as much as an xNFP. What happens, though, is that eventually we note that others are taking advantage of us and feel entitled to the help, or are ungrateful for the help, or otherwise treat the INTJ with disrespect or disdain in spite of the help.

I think this makes INTJs shield that part of ourselves with a cold, unemotional exterior, to prevent being asked for help. And when that help is requested, we really have no problem just saying, "No," no matter how rude it may sound, as long as we suspect that it isn't a genuine need.

As Oro notes, we gradually become older and more experienced, both with establishing boundaries and determining the motives of others, and we thus gradually become more open and helpful and compassionate when the need arises.

Yes. I don't have across the board compassion and I don't bend to what society says women in particular should be (nurturing, compassionate, emotional). I simply have it when I feel it and it's not forced when I do.

This is interesting. I think INTP's show compassion precisely in order to get along - not purely selfishly just because my Fe drives me to organize my surroundings according to the need for cohesion and inclusion - I like to see a group function and each person to have a role. It's adaptable to circumstance and I wear it outwardly.

With the INTJ then it's the opposite I guess, deep attachment to certain values or people which when touched will motivate great compassion, but when not "unleashed", will appear absent.

So in other words you're all softer on the inside than INTP's? :tongue: </runs for cover>

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The older INTJs-they often are much more open about this sense of compassion-they care for larger groups of people. There is a sense of mentorship, inspired leadership, devotion to integrity.

I've been thinking about this and it seems to make sense. Although, I wonder if they are more open about their compassion, as you say, or if they are generally more compassionate, as I suspect.

I think that INTJ's, as opposed to other types, build their foundations thoroughly and slowly. I really think that it takes longer for us to reach the necessary point of self-appreciation because of our initially weak social skills and insecurities. You can't really love, care about, and help other people until you can appreciate and take care of yourself. This is why you see the rampant megalomania in many younger INTJ's. It's like a hasty self-preservation mechanism that is sometimes necessary to be able to feel secure enough to begin caring about other people.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On more than one occasion, I was compassionate in my own horribly analytical problem solving manner.

You expend energy to help someone specifically because you do care. Many people however seem to appreciate being told what they want to hear and view us as being overly critical. Others do recognize it though. I once had someone tell me that I was "passionate" and "compassionate". I think it is relevant feedback for many INTJs.

I know very few young INTJs.

My mid thirties INTJs feel deeply but very quietly. But they can be very compassionate to very specific people or causes. But can look very cold on the surface.

The older INTJs-they often are much more open about this sense of compassion-they care for larger groups of people. There is a sense of mentorship, inspired leadership, devotion to integrity. Like they tangled their Ni visions up with Fi sorta. They use their strength to drive those goals forward in a sense of stewardship. They still have impossible standards, and but are somewhat more accepting of my 80% half hearted efforts than my mid-30s friends.

I so love my intjs.

The ones I know

I think all of this is dead on, especially the bolded parts.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Uumlau

Metamorphosis

Highlander29

And, Zarathustra

Four INTJs, I know or know-ish whom I deem to be incredibly compassionate.

:wub:

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Definitely a learned habit. For myself, it was because the less people expected from me emotionally, the easier it was to stay in-sync with my own drumbeat. By not saying anything, you don't have to negotiate what has never been up for public debate in the first place. I have no problems with being upfront about Te-related skills, since I know this is something I can deliver consistently under the weight of enormous outside pressure, or change if I need to.

My Fi is rather unpredictable and flighty, so you're absolutely right about Fi needing maturation and experience before it can truly be open to others. One of my main obstacles was not drawing enough personal boundaries --- I seem to sacrifice my needs for the needs of those closest to me (like Uytuun). Actually, it was ridiculous to the point where an INFJ friend had to forcibly anchor me back down to reason, step by step. The more I was able to say, "No, I can't go through with this. It requires abilities beyond what I'm willing to do.", the better I was about sharing my sentiments. So, if I ever happen to mention that I enjoy helping people, I'd also make it very clear this occurs on my terms. This probably ties in with wanting to be competent at whichever field I choose, so being held to an unreachable standard is a burden. [That's my heighten sense of accountability talking. :rolleyes:]

Still, it's mostly an "oh, and, uh, by the way..." kind of thing. :cheese:

I have no idea how applicable this is to other INTJs, so I'm mainly speaking for myself. :)

This is interesting. I think INTP's show compassion precisely in order to get along - not purely selfishly just because my Fe drives me to organize my surroundings according to the need for cohesion and inclusion - I like to see a group function and each person to have a role. It's adaptable to circumstance and I wear it outwardly.

Ah, I'd just normally let the cohesion and inclusion happen on its own, unless there is limited time. Then I would use Te to keep everyone on the same page. [Ex: We're all after the same goal here. Let's stay focused on solving problems we have now, instead of complicating them further. Personal differences aside, any ideas for improvements?] Or I'd use my Fi in an ENFP-like manner to inspire others to find their voice, and tie those similarities together into the group's objective.

Only when the situation becomes FUBAR, I'll rely on Fe.