half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. They appear to be random, but are quite coherent at first. They dismiss coherence after they've "lost it" though.

I can't relate this to my experiences. They are aggressive, they just start goofing around if they've realized that they can't win. They don't lose, they either...

a) win OR
    b) present the whole debate as ridiculous.

"X is true."
    "No, X is actually false. I'll show you (...)."
    "Lol you're stupid, this whole thing is stupid. Your butt stinks. I'm outta here."

Plus, they're way more efficient before a crowd. In a one-on-one situation, they appear significantly weaker.
    Oh, you're just talking about a debate? Well everyone was has different styles and that changes with age.

I don't understand how someone can appear more efficient in front of a crowd. Maybe your perception of the situation changes when there is a crowd. Maybe the crowd simply intimidates you and you assign that fear to the ENTP "showing off" or something. I doubt that a person can become smarter or more efficient just by being watched. But I don't know who you know, so what do I know...

Anyway, I thought you were talking about a more serious situation. Like a revenge situation. A petty debate is nothing. Once it gets to the point where clear lines have been drawn in the sand, you will see a marked difference. Or actually, you probably won't - and that's what makes the ENTP have so much potential for viciousness.

But back to the ENTJ issue - I guess it's a general consensus that they are not as scary as they seem. OP - would you ever just directly confront your teacher to level the playing field?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

ENTJs are the scariest type?
    Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I don't understand how someone can appear more efficient in front of a crowd.
    Of course they can, how is this even a question? If something illogical is presented with an overwhelming attitude and fine rhetorics, it will be admired by people, and serves as a positive feedback for the speaker, further enhancing his/her self-assertion and the effect on the crowd.

Maybe your perception of the situation changes when there is a crowd. Maybe the crowd simply intimidates you and you assign that fear to the ENTP "showing off" or something.
    Stop making such assumptions.
    I've had my fair share of debates with ENTPs, you didn't have your fair share of debates with me. My line of thinking might have a thousand root causes, it is pretty useless to guess if you don't know me irl.

Anyway, I thought you were talking about a more serious situation. Like a revenge situation.
    No, not at all.

A petty debate is nothing.
    We disagree. It is an important test of skills and a marker of positions in a certain chain of hierarchy.

Once it gets to the point where clear lines have been drawn in the sand, you will see a marked difference.
    We disagree again. Debating with an NTJ pretty much requires "clear lines drawn in the sand", otherwise it's just not working.

Or actually, you probably won't - and that's what makes the ENTP have so much potential for viciousness.
    You underestimate me.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Of course they can, how is this even a question? If something illogical is presented with an overwhelming attitude and fine rhetorics, it will be admired by people, and serves as a positive feedback for the speaker, further enhancing his/her self-assertion and the effect on the crowd.
    So you are asserting that someone can actually appear smarter to you when they are standing in front of other people?

Stop making such assumptions.
    I was presenting ideas, not making assumptions.

My line of thinking might have a thousand root causes, it is pretty useless to guess if you don't know me irl.
    Exactly. It might have a thousand root causes.

We disagree. It is an important test of skills and a marker of positions in a certain chain of hierarchy.
    I made that statement in regards to the scope of this subject matter. I thought you were talking about something more severe. I am not discounting debates in general.

We disagree again. Debating with an NTJ pretty much requires "clear lines drawn in the sand", otherwise it's just not working.
    You've misunderstood me.

Clear lines in the sand, to me, is when things turn personal or vicious. Debating is impersonal.

You underestimate me.
    Wrong. I haven't even bothered to estimate you.

So you are asserting that someone can actually appear smarter to you when they are standing in front of other people?
    Reread my post.

If something illogical is presented with an overwhelming attitude and fine rhetorics, it will be admired by people, and serves as a positive feedback for the speaker, further enhancing his/her self-assertion and the effect on the crowd.

I am "asserting" that a good rhetor can feel stronger and more confident even with false logic if admired by a lot of people, and extra confidence is a strong feat of arms. It isn't about my perception of smart.

I was presenting ideas, not making assumptions.
    Stop presenting such ideas, then.

Exactly. It might have a thousand root causes.
    Which does not automatically degrade my line of thinking, but makes it practically impossible for you to guess why I think what I think.

I made that statement in regards to the scope of this subject matter. I thought you were talking about something more severe. I am not discounting debates in general.
    Oh, OK. It's alright then.

Clear lines in the sand, to me, is when things turn personal or vicious. Debating is impersonal.
    Wrong. Debating is never completely impersonal, just like every human interaction.
    You can strive to keep it as impersonal as possible though.

Wrong. I haven't even bothered to estimate you.
    Cheers.

MBTI
    ISTP

ENTJs aren't scary, in fact, I find them quite fun.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Something tells me that he probably really enjoys doing that.
    Believe me, I know that, LOL, it scares me in the " What a brilliant-astonishing -mind you have!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    ENTJs aren't scary, in fact, I find them quite fun.
    AGREED!

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

ENTJ female bff is constantly being accused of being mean and overwhelming, which sometimes is the truth. But most of the time, I think it's that people don't understand the way she sees the world, and then the force of personality just rolls them right over. She doesn't have that effect on me, but I think ENFP's were made to be ENTJ bunker busters.

I have an INTJ male friend, who, when in the same room with the ENTJ, turns into a crazy person. Competition that escalates into something truly horrifying because she won't back down and he tosses another log on the fire. I no longer allow them in the same room when I'm present.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

An ENTJ that has completely lost it would be quite a scary thing I think.

I know I wouldn't want to see what I would be like if I was totally off my rocker with anger.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

My Dad is ENTJ, I'm pretty sure.

His facade is remarkably intimidating. 6' 6" of intimidating. (I'm only 6' 2".)

But underneath, he's very gentle and kind.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.