• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Chameleons YEA

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
i have a theory that the intp's chameleon tendencies, if taken advantage of, can create a strong rapport between the intp and whoever they are talking to. any thoughts?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
i have a theory that the intp's chameleon tendencies, if taken advantage of, can create a strong rapport between the intp and whoever they are talking to. any thoughts?

It's the reason we do it. Let's face it, if we didn't, no one would talk to us.

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
that makes sense, if we talked about our interests we'd bore them or confuse them. so-the fact that for some reason i can fake my way around people is an INTP characteristic?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
that makes sense, if we talked about our interests we'd bore them or confuse them. so-the fact that for some reason i can fake my way around people is an INTP characteristic?

Not so much our interests, but if we didn't adjust our mannerisms and general demeanor to others, we can be a bit robotic, and thus, generally uncomfortable to be around. So mimicking things like word usage, body language, style of humor are simply what we do to get by.

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
im still trying to figure out my type. maybe im not intp because it seems like i can read people pretty well. and tend to know what they mean after the first few words-although i hate small talk and random socializing-always have-so maybe im in the wrong forum

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
I've never had a problem reading people, just being interested in talking to them or learning about them.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah I think INTPs are pretty good with reading people per se when they give the task a minimal focus. Its what they do with it that can be a game killer.

For example reading someone playing Texas Hold em and then knowing what to do with it is pretty simple (although even this is debatable). In more complex social dynamics it can be frustrating and often lead to information overload well beyond what is necessary..."Does not compute! bzzz brrrring Pop!"

Chameleon effect is not only a game saver, it also makes interacting with others more bearable and such mirroring can be quiet pleasing to the recipient. I am pretty good at it but its not a automatic thing that I can turn on or off anytime I want. With me it can be prompted but usually it just happens...often I don't notice I was doing it until after it happens.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
According to Andy on The Office, the key to success is personality mirroring, name repetition, and never letting go of a handshake first...

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I agree, it gets me far and I can do this well unless I'm tired or in a bad mood.

moviconte

MBTI Type
INTP
its called pretentiousness
How is being a chameleon pretentious? I don't do it because I'm trying to pretend I'm better than I actually am, I do it because it comes most naturally and it helps me a lot in social situations.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
chameleon implies insincerity. insincerity implies vanity. vanity is the basis of pretentiousness...isnt it?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
chameleon implies insincerity. insincerity implies vanity. vanity is the basis of pretentiousness...isnt it?

I somewhat agree.

When I 'chameleon', it's always for personal motives. Never in order to please others, but in order to gain something that pleases me. It's a really useful skill for me in my line of work.

At the same time, I can not be like that to people I respect and care for as friends.

I actually avoid getting certain people around my workplace like mad, because I don't want to be chameleon around them.

It isn't full blown pretentiousness. But it's definatly self-centered.

Awesome nonetheless. :D

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
chameleon implies insincerity. insincerity implies vanity.

not really, these two things just imply finding a way to communicate with people. if I'm "insincere" it's just for the sake of getting something done or getting something I want.

moviconte

MBTI Type
INTP
chameleon implies insincerity. insincerity implies vanity.
I don't see how insincerity implies vanity though. Vanity just implies that you want to show off something, but being insincere doesn't cause that. The point is that pretentiousness involves pretending to be better than you actually are, but being a chameleon doesn't mean I always pretend to be better. I can act like I'm worse off too, if that happens to be useful for the situation.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I concur with the above. Insincerity =/= vanity.