User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: lazy INTP

  1. #1
    Senior Member think2much's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    281

    Default lazy INTP

    I'm so lazy about stuff I don't care about. How do you guys motivate yourself to do work? I feel like I'm the only INTP who's uneducated. school was just easy for me, but it doesn't mean I studied or even care to remember any of those stuff.

  2. #2
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    i have a hard time knowing how to motivate inxp's in general. especially the thinking ones. they are just so hard to read and don't share all information. and i get the feeling they already have the answer within themselves - they just need it to be confirmed. don't know. just my perspective.

    all i know is that momentum is really important. since it's hard for intp's to "just do it", it's important to keep momentum up. and my intp keeps lists of "boring stuff" to do, just to get them done. he's a bit paranoid about being unproductive sometimes.

    also, everything you say about school is true for my guy as well.

    i'll be listening in...
    EDIT: when i do manage to motivate them, i have no idea how i did it. they just snapped up something i said.

  3. #3
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    You need to work out specific reasons as to why you should do that work. I know that I wont clean my room or shave or anything unless I fully understand why I should do it.

    You know how so many people can never let themselves be bored? They have to do something fun and exiting at all times, or their hearts might stop functioning... The more boring things you get done, the less you feel the need to seek pleasure. All of the greatest people in our society became great by doing 'boring' things, like michael jackson who practiced the moonwalk continually or Albert Einstein who built general relativity and won a nobel prize.

    I'm not saying it's easy to do this, I'm just saying that the boring things in life really do count for something.
    5 3 9

  4. #4
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    quit drinking that will even decrease ur average post per day count on online forums
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #5
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    I have to work up a lot of self-hatred in order to get myself to do stuff I normally do not want to do. If I don't work out I will be undesirable to my partner. If I don't do well in school I will be stupid. If I don't get these invoices done I will be inept and incompetent. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really the only thing that works.

    INTPs, first and foremost, must believe they are doing something because they want to. If they feel forced by another they won't do it. They will, even irrationally and against all logic, be compelled to disobey. If they cannot see why they should want to do something, they won't, so that's what you have to try to do. Show the INTP why he wants to do something.



  6. #6
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Major life crisis act as a motivation. So do broken hearts. Also just throw yourself into something and you might notice you are able to go into auto pilot to point B after your in point A.

    INTP ruts are horrible, like writers block...get the fuck out of that head space...run...now!
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  7. #7
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I have to work up a lot of self-hatred in order to get myself to do stuff I normally do not want to do. If I don't work out I will be undesirable to my partner. If I don't do well in school I will be stupid. If I don't get these invoices done I will be inept and incompetent. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really the only thing that works.

    INTPs, first and foremost, must believe they are doing something because they want to. If they feel forced by another they won't do it. They will, even irrationally and against all logic, be compelled to disobey. If they cannot see why they should want to do something, they won't, so that's what you have to try to do. Show the INTP why he wants to do something.
    Are we really that selfish? I do stuff I don't want to because others need me to all the time. I draw the line at stuff I neither want to do and I feel there is no pressing need to do. I decline a lot of invitations for that reason. It's funny, when I tell people I am lazy, they never believe me, because I can get so much done when I want to and have the energy. I just rarely want to. And there is no amount of persuading that will make me want what I do not want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #8
    Senior Member think2much's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I have to work up a lot of self-hatred in order to get myself to do stuff I normally do not want to do. If I don't work out I will be undesirable to my partner. If I don't do well in school I will be stupid. If I don't get these invoices done I will be inept and incompetent. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really the only thing that works.

    INTPs, first and foremost, must believe they are doing something because they want to. If they feel forced by another they won't do it. They will, even irrationally and against all logic, be compelled to disobey. If they cannot see why they should want to do something, they won't, so that's what you have to try to do. Show the INTP why he wants to do something.
    agree 100%, I have to do it cause I WANT TO, which is one of the reasons my gpa isn't so high.

  9. #9
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Are we really that selfish? I do stuff I don't want to because others need me to all the time. I draw the line at stuff I neither want to do and I feel there is no pressing need to do. I decline a lot of invitations for that reason. It's funny, when I tell people I am lazy, they never believe me, because I can get so much done when I want to and have the energy. I just rarely want to. And there is no amount of persuading that will make me want what I do not want.
    This is sort of what I mean. While sure, if there is a pressing need for something to be done, we'll do it, but once again, who is defining when that need becomes pressing? We do But generally, we need to reach our own conclusions, come to our own decisions. We can't really accept things told by others that don't make sense to us. In this way we can be pretty stubborn.

    I was really trying to paraphrase this, but did so rather unsuccessfully :

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP.org Profile
    Independence, derived primarily from strongly introverted Thinking, leads to perhaps the most difficult aspect (for others) of the INTP, namely stubbornness. If an INTP is pushed into doing something he will automatically resist. The reason for the resistance is simply that any action must first be filtered by the Ti, guided by the Ne. He must be given the chance to reach an independent decision, approving or rejecting the action. Hence, he must withdraw to allow the analysis process to work. If withdrawal is not allowed then stubborn resistance is the inevitable result. However, others may not always find the INTP excessively stubborn, since the decision-making process can sometimes be rapidly accelerated when intuition takes the upper hand. The best way to get an INTP to do something is to suggest the idea as an option and let him sleep on it. Ultimately, the INTP must always believe that it is his decision. Once he is satisfied that the decision was independently reached, then he is content.



  10. #10
    One day and the next Rainne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    899

    Default

    hey intps sound a lot like istps, we only do stuff when we feel like it

    do you guys have the same desire for adrenaline rushes as well? (ex: close shaves to accidents)

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] Defeatism created by INTP type description
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. [INTP] INTP, intelligence, laziness, and the J rebellion
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
  3. [INTP] Rant on INTPs
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
  4. [INTP] INTP Rage
    By Schizm in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
  5. [INTP] Good things about INTPs
    By lastrailway in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO