User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default How do I make myself do things?

I'm sitting in my computer chair at 1 am and I have a paper due tommorow. I can't for the life of me start doing it, I'm just so goddamn lazy. Whenever I think about the process of writing it, my mind just shuts down and says "no". It's like I'm fighting with myself.. jesus. Help please, have any other NTs had similar experiences?

MBTI
    epic

Why fight the apathy? Inertia begets sucess.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

if i don't do this research paper, i'll get a bad grade, which has far reaching implications.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm trying to do the same for a Philosophy class which I really don't care about, but I need a humanities credit. Though in my case I'm almost done, and it's not due 'till Tuesday.

I guess I'm just a better person than you.

Unless you need your internet connection for research or something, unplug.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If that's not enough motivation for you? Cut out the distractions!

Back in the day, before computers were widely available, people wrote papers by hand. If the computer distracts you, maybe get yourself into an environment with less distractions and chain yourself there with a pen and paper.

Or maybe just break it into pieces? Maybe writing an outline on paper will give you something to work from. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part--the rest falls like dominoes. So if you can find a starting point like an outline, you may find yourself blitzing through the rest.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i'm too lazy to turn off the distractions too

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

K, I'm not an NT, but you sound desperate.

I srsly wanted to quit grad school for a while. I was sick of writing papers and doing everything else. So, one day I convinced myself I was going to quit the next day because I had been putting off writing this huge research paper that was due. But what I decided to do instead was just to allow myself to do a half-ass job writing it; even turn it in late; anything was better than not doing it at all and getting an F. I 'allowed' myself to get a bad grade, but to just turn something in. And that made all the difference for me. I got it done and it was pretty good in the end, after all.

Edit: Just start writing anything you can. Teachers can be pretty lenient sometimes. It's amazing the crap they can take and still give you a good grade for. Any effort is better than FAIL>
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Note View Post
    I'm sitting in my computer chair at 1 am and I have a paper due tommorow. I can't for the life of me start doing it, I'm just so goddamn lazy. Whenever I think about the process of writing it, my mind just shuts down and says "no". It's like I'm fighting with myself.. jesus. Help please, have any other NTs had similar experiences?
    Obviously, I'm not an NT. However, I have it exactly the same way. My mind shuts down as well and I fight gruesome battles with myself. What has helped me before was that I just started doing things despite my reluctance. It's important to get over that initial disgust. Once I start doing what I'm supposed to be doing, I can concentrate my mind on it and get into it so that it becomes "interesting" enough for me to be able to finish it.

Small steps, seriously, less thinking about how negative the whole experience will be, that's not going to help. Try to remove all the immediate distractions around you, it might help.

Edit: Yup, what peeps have already said here.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

fuuuuuuck oh my god i don't want to do this so much

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

click the x and do your PAPER! NOW!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com