• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do I make myself do things?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
What's the paper about? If it's within my realm of interests/knowledge, I'll just do it for you. I charge $20/word for my pages of gold, but trust me, it's worth it. Just set up a paypal account, and we'll go from there. Trust me, this is an offer that you simply cannot refuse.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I would help you but I'm an SJ and we don't seem to have these problems.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
What's the paper about? If it's within my realm of interests/knowledge, I'll just do it for you. I charge $20/word for my pages of gold, but trust me, it's worth it. Just set up a paypal account, and we'll go from there. Trust me, this is an offer that you simply cannot refuse.

^^ But that's going to leave the guy feel unfulfilled about it - which would probably farther his self-indulgence to his thoughts, already a problem to him as it is.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
^^ But that's going to leave the guy feel unfulfilled about it - which would probably farther his self-indulgence to his thoughts, already a problem to him as it is.

Does he want to feel fulfilled, or does he want to get the paper done? There's no time for both at this point. :coffee:

By the way, Note, this is the N(T)P curse. We arrogantly convince ourselves that we are smart enough to get it done eventually, regardless of how tightly we squeeze the time frame. Then when it comes to crunch time, our Ne gets too distracted to focus and instead starts seeing all the possible repercussions of not having it done on time, thereby stressing us out even more and making it harder to focus. Just eliminate distractions that your Ne might indulge in, and get in the Ti analysis zone. You'll start launching diamonds onto your computer screen if you just have a little aim.

Once you start taking courses that actually interest you, rather than crappy core shit, the frequency of these kinds of occurrences will surely decrease. You probably just have a hard time focusing because it doesn't interest you at all and/or you arrogantly believe that you are too good enough to waste any of your mental energy on something as trivial as whatever the silly subject of the paper is. But once you get into classes that are pertinent to your major/interests, you'll actually be focusing on stuff you enjoy. Just get through this stuff first, and it's easy-breezin' for the rest of your college career (so long as you actually figure out what interests you).

I think the best way for us to really convince ourselves to do what we consider to be menial and/or boring work is to imagine the consequences of doing it vs. the consequences of not doing it. Typically, the latter will be much worse, so to avoid those repercussions, it only makes sense to go ahead and get the [insert menial task here] done with.

I have no advice to help with procrastination, though. I actually can't get work done unless I feel pressured, and I produce better stuff when I feel pressured to produce it. Otherwise, it's impossible for me to focus and care about the task at hand. So long as you actually get the work done and it's up to par, I really don't think there's anything wrong with procrastination (but this could just be my ENTP way of justifying my flaws to myself and/or turning my flaws into good character traits). Just don't go get yourself an ulcer or anything like that.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^ I see what you mean.

Does he want to feel fulfilled, or does he want to get the paper done? There's no time for both at this point. :coffee:

Good question.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Listen, that hardest part about doing something is Starting it. Once you actually GET yourself started, its easy sailing from there.
Believe me, just push yourself to start the thing, and you'll see how easy it comes after :)

Btw, what did you now learn??

It's better to get crap out of the way, so you don't have to worry about crap later. :D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Take the battery out of your clock, and start it whatever time you are ready.
You are obviously feel pressured by time, so if you get a clock that doesn't change, your anxiety and panic attack will slow down.

gromit

likes this
Hope everything worked out for you, Note! :wubbie:

By the way, Note, this is the N(T)P curse. We arrogantly convince ourselves that we are smart enough to get it done eventually, regardless of how tightly we squeeze the time frame.

Yes, I am ENFP and I have this problem a lot of the time too. A LOT OF THE TIME. Usually I just have to wait until the pressure builds enough that it forces me to do it, or, as others have suggested just start writing (or doing, if it's not a writing assignment) anything and then it seems to just... flow. Or at least then you have something to work with.

Can someone explain to me the theory behind why is it an N-P trait?

Unique

I once thought I was lazy

Then I realized my NT mind was just sorting out the relevant from the irrelevant

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Hope everything worked out for you, Note! :wubbie:

Yes, I am ENFP and I have this problem a lot of the time too. A LOT OF THE TIME. Usually I just have to wait until the pressure builds enough that it forces me to do it, or, as others have suggested just start writing (or doing, if it's not a writing assignment) anything and then it seems to just... flow. Or at least then you have something to work with.

Can someone explain to me the theory behind why is it an N-P trait?

because you hated work, simple as that.
You find work exhausting and don't want to do it, putting it off until the last minute.
You have to find something you enjoy doing.
work is like investing in your future, or investing in your goals, only through work can you actuallize your goals.

gromit

likes this
because you hated work, simple as that.
You find work exhausting and don't want to do it, putting it off until the last minute.
You have to find something you enjoy doing.
work is like investing in your future, or investing in your goals, only through work can you actuallize your goals.

That doesn't make sense why it's N-P, though. Don't lots of people hate work or find it exhausting?

MBTI Type
ENTP
it's the P. we expect it to come to us, so we can react to it. "it" being idea, motivation, le mot juste, and "it" only comes when the pressure is high- when we sense the deadline approaching, and we react to the adrenaline.
method doesn't always work out.
J are proactive.

read. write. doesnt matter if it's shit. it helps to avoid checking the clock.

i cant will myself to sleep when i'm watching my time tick away.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
That doesn't make sense why it's N-P, though. Don't lots of people hate work or find it exhausting?

people hate work because they don't know what it is.
They hate it because they don't see the point of doing it, or drains their mental energy out. Adding to this is time and deadlines, in modern day society, you have to get things done within a certain time limit.

I mean it is not that difficult to lift a pen and start writing words on a piece of paper.

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh the joys of having a large P-ness.. :jew:

All joking aside, I can understand your dilemma. I always seem to have this problem when it comes to papers, projects, homework..just about anything, really. I do get it done, in the end, but it can be stressful. I do enjoy the improvisation sometimes. It's like I'm pushing myself to see what amazing thing I can come up with in the most limited time period. Testing myself, ya know? Anyway, I'm pretty fed up with my bad habits (because really, they are bad) and I am attempting to change them. Good luck with fixing yours: it isn't easy.

As for your current dilemma..I find that when I try to force myself AT FIRST, I automatically resist. It's a quirk, and I'm probably not alone with it. Just attempt to let it flow. That's all I can really say.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I do more then enough things in general, but I do suffer from procrastination a lot and tend to net get some important things done.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just do it...? :run:

Such an inconsiderate remark! *chases with toy bat*

When I was in school, I had such large Pness, that I can't remember actually having been in school... Almost...

Any course or work I had to do that wasn't interesting to me, I did last minute, really little, if I could suffer the grade, not at all. I aimed to have passing grades, but not a tid bit more than that. And wasted all my spare time on playing around. My last year was so bad that I hardly even followed the first 2/3 hours of the day, and even suffered a lot of 1's for not attending secret tests without reason of absense.

Still, I must have picked up some stuff in the classes I did attend. As I passed and got my lil' paper.

When I look back at it now, from a hard working person's perspective. I know I could have done so astoundingly well if I had put some effort into school, that I wonder what would've become of me if I didn't threw my towel with almost everything in school.

I mean, would I have still become a succesful entrepeneur, or would I have become a regular loyal deskjob worker? :D