User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    eNTP

Default Solving a Rubik's cube

Would it be an NT thing or an ST thing? I'm pretty bad at them.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    INTJ

It would be a combination of extreme boredom and a conveniently placed nearby rubik's cube thing.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think in most cases it has less to do with ingenuity and more to do with someone teaching you. My old roommate (probably ESXP) was great at them. But yeah, I doubt personality type plays any kind of significant role.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I've mastered the rubix cube. It's not that hard actually. Many different patterns according to many different movements. It takes a while though to get the hang of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

My NT husband loves the Rubik's cube. I think it's impressive, but I would never waste my time memorizing the codes. My ST friend was obsessed with it too, so I'm inclined to think it is a "T" thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

First of all, the Rubik's cube is a child's toy which anyone given enough time and the proper instruction can learn.

Second of all, one can find a myriad of videos and instructional articles detailing the solution to the Rubik's cube.

I can solve a standard 3x3 cube in two minutes or so, and a 4x4 in about twice that time, although I haven't solved or owned a Rubik's cube for some time now.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I think it is a "able to memorize visual codes" thing. So it is a thing for someone who is either has a good deal of natural talent for that thing or someone who has a little bit of talent for it and is obsessed with being able to do it.... so yeah, probably more common for T types.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ElizaJane View Post
    My NT husband loves the Rubik's cube. I think it's impressive, but I would never waste my time memorizing the codes. My ST friend was obsessed with it too, so I'm inclined to think it is a "T" thing.
    Waste time? There are about eight simple algorithms for you to remember. You can learn it in one good session.

Then again, you're an NF...
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh yes, to answer your question: It would be an "NT thing." Solving a Rubik's cube requires analytical abilities which come more naturally to NTs.
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Yes, Lex, a waste of time for me because I find it difficult to do things that don't contribute to a big picture that has some greater purpose. I don't think other people are wasting their time — it could be a great mental exercise for them. I don't judge them poorly for it. I would just rather assume that I could memorize the algorithms and instead spend those minutes obsessing over the future or how to improve a relationship of mine. Others might consider that a waste of time. I guess it's an INFJ thing.