User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default N/S - 'Become one of us or STFU!'

Should Intuitives have to adjust to a sensors way of thinking and vice verse?

I love to discuss ideas, philosophies, beliefs and all and I seem to have a knack for questioning things that normal people just don't give a shit about. These people often find my questions trivial, weird and unusual, and one of my friends told me that I cramp his style (that one hurt). I've asked some of these people how I should communicate with them, or how I can be 'normal', and after much thinking, they tell me that I should communicate in a manner that you could describe as sensing. These things that they want to discuss seem entirely trivial to me, just as much as my ideas seem trivial to them. In the same conversation, I tried to practice discussing things like a sensor, but it was rediculously obvious that I didn't care, it was like I was just faking it, and I was really.

So, my question is, do we learn to communicate to sensors on their level? Or do we just avoid them and talk to intuitives? What happens when there are intuitives and sensors in the same room? Would you talk sensory, or intuitively?

I've also discovered that I often initiate conversations in order to push them in an intuitive direction... Is there something wrong with that? I think it would introduce some balance if I could ocassionaly pick out a sensors topic and discuss something they'd want to... or perhaps even let them initiate

I just realized that I've heard that this has happened to other intuitives on this forum, hmmm , this certainly isn't an original thread.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Most sensors are not 100% sensing, just like most intuitives are not 100% intuitive.
    The population is not sharply separated like this.
    I think it's possible to have "intuitive" type conversations with sensors, just like sensors can very well lead us in "sensor" type discussion, and unless we are mentally crippled by a way overwhelming N, we will most likely enjoy or participate usefully to the conversation.

I think we can attain a greater level of enlightenment in life when we manage to adjust to balance our natural preferences for a way or another. Talking N stuff with Ss won't hurt them, quite the opposite, and same goes the other way round.

If you are the one starting the conversation, then, the others will usually have to adapt, or they can balance the conversation with their S sight of the topic. If they are starting the conversation, you'll have to adapt, or try and insert some N into it without making it uncomfortable for the others.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i rather discuss sensory with sensors... sometimes i initiate intuitive discussions and usually i get the "she is weird" response

i'm used to being weird, though. i have a "normal persona" i present to people... maybe it's my ESTJ/ ESFJ shadow.

Well, maybe if you tried to spin the thought of "you vs. them" it would help. Conversation is always stunted if you expect it to be.

I can talk with anyone about most things, there are some subjects I am at a loss for... But I would be at a loss with whomever I would be speaking with. I try to enjoy conversations with many kinds of people, small talky conversations bore me, but sometimes they are necessary.

Just try to find common ground. That is all anyone can do in conversation. It takes at least two to have a conversation (unless your me, and I'm making up a conversation in my head... Just kidding, I don't do that. ) so each partner can try to accommodate the other. Two people of every preference can and do have meaningful, fun conversations everyday.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm calling for Segregation!

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

^ that's true. i really have had very deep conversations with sensors, as well. it's just that it takes a bit of time, because they don't really do that so often, i don't think... and then you can't drag the conversation on very long, because they're going to be like... ok, now let's quit and do something actually important, or fun.

i've found that sensors can really be very thoughtful and deep, too. they just don't prefer to "dwell on it". it's like it sort of exhausts them, the same way as small talk exhausts me.

and i'm a pretty strong N, but i still enjoy doing stuff and talking about make-up... :P

MBTI
    SEXY

I have sensor friends that I can communicate very well with thankyouverymuch!

It can be hard talking to sensors for somebody who's as intuitive as myself, I can get on their nerves by asking them tricky and sudden questions and showing them different angles in a discussion. When a sensor gets annoyed I just end the discussion and give them a patronizing smile.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    Most sensors are not 100% sensing, just like most intuitives are not 100% intuitive.
    The population is not sharply separated like this.
    I think it's possible to have "intuitive" type conversations with sensors, just like sensors can very well lead us in "sensor" type discussion, and unless we are mentally crippled by a way overwhelming N, we will most likely enjoy or participate usefully to the conversation.

I think we can attain a greater level of enlightenment in life when we manage to adjust to balance our natural preferences for a way or another. Talking N stuff with Ss won't hurt them, quite the opposite, and same goes the other way round.

If you are the one starting the conversation, then, the others will usually have to adapt, or they can balance the conversation with their S sight of the topic. If they are starting the conversation, you'll have to adapt, or try and insert some N into it without making it uncomfortable for the others.
    I'm thinking that anyone can consider a sensors idea, or an intuitives idea and discuss such things equally, however they ultimately have a preference for one or the other, and in that way, there is a concrete split between sensors and intuitives. You need both for balance though, and if you do, you get the best of both worlds, just as you say.

I just find it interesting that the intuitive way is inherently weird, and the sensors way is normal. It would be cool if you could even it out somehow, weirdness is such a negative term.

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i rather discuss sensory with sensors... sometimes i initiate intuitive discussions and usually i get the "she is weird" response

i'm used to being weird, though. i have a "normal persona" i present to people... maybe it's my ESTJ/ ESFJ shadow.
    Do you find it difficult to do that?
    5 3 9

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Get them high.

Problem solved.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've never had issues discussing iNtuitive topics with intuitives... I may put a different spin on the issue, or word my answer differently, but it doesn't mean that I don't understand it...

however, if someone (and Ss can be just as bad about this... my ESTJ friend is THE WORST) types a wall of text I occasionally glaze over... I don't have the attention span for an unbroken paragraph- that's ADHD though, not S

I think that most people are a lot closer to the S/N dividing line than they recognize though (I could elaborate on testing biases, but I will save that for another thread someday), so as long as you make the topic relevant to the listener, you should be able to pick up the smarter members of either type (and some of the dummies who think that they're smart)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett