User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTJs - Why are we driven?

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I imagine that the INTJ in his most primitive stage is not driven, rather he plans too much at the expense of follow-through.
    I am very driven. I know what I want to do, what I need to do to do it, and how to do what I need to do to do it. However, actually doing it is a real sticker. Things don't happen as fast as they should, someone takes the wind out my sails and I lose all desire to fulfill my goal. I find something else interesting and start back at point A until I get to point X and lose the desire to fill those sails up again.

Did you know I am in college? I am studying to be a Systems Analyst/Economist/Corporate Lawyer/Electronics Engineer. I'm a sophomore, I have a long way to go, but when I get there...
    I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to make you a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I have big dreams and aspirations of Epic I suspect that many INTJs do...and I am wondering where this comes from? Why do we want power and success and such things? Is it evolutionary, or brought about by past experiences? What makes us drawn to certain paths?
    Good question. I have two possible answers:

1. We are preoccupied with it because we (believe we) can achieve it. Other types are more grounded (not Ni dominant?) and/or encumbered by Agreeableness , cf. this INFJ quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    (...) I know that I can't live with myself when I think that I may have even accidentally manipulated someone into doing something--even when that something is good. I wish I could: I could accomplish a lot more in life if I didn't mind a little manipulation.
    2. We are preoccupied with it because everyone wants to be recognized for something they're good at and because our core competencies (masterminding and optimizing) are not usually appreciated or even seen until we give an impressive demonstration. (Scheming is not a very good party trick. ) Other types can more easily gain recognition for their core competencies without winning power or making money in the process, so by comparison we seem obsessed with the latter... But really, like everyone else, we just want to be loved!

Edit: Do the rest of you have recurring flying dreams? I remember talking with my mother and brother (both INTJs) about those as a teenager, all of us laughing so hard we couldn't breathe and just silently convulsed for a long moment (do the rest of you do this? :blushing at how each of us dreamed the act of taking off: My mother had to flap her arms to get going and I had to run into it whereas my brother just levitated like Superman. (He's always been the one. )