LINK: 1500 Collegiate Words & 900 pre-TOEFL Words with Readings, Exercises and Audio
The site has a personality test (it's not the greatest) and a free e-book if you want to jump right in. Honestly this won't get very far unless we dig into the data. I and an ENTP friend jumped right in and we adapted quickly and had a lot of fun playing with the ideas.
It's a theory developed by Lane Friesien which sort of meshes the cognitive functions and MBTI, but comes out with 7 distinct "Styles"
I'll list the styles and some traits for people to chew on, with corresponding function and what MBTI types will usually be those styles.
Mercy (Introverted Feeling ) Almost always an F type.
-Loyal, hates hypocrisy and "fakeness"
-Tend to often second guess what they say and do. Often ponders "What if I did this differently?" Often extends into their humor.
- If you accuse them to their face, they don't do well. Even if they're justified.
-They're more sensitive/knowledgeable to body language and unspoken rules.
-Basic feeler stuff, they're sympathetic/empathic.
- Need to get and give <3.
Note: These guys have a dark side. If they're constantly rejected, and they're forced to suppress their emotions they will become bitter and kind of a jerk. It's like conforming yet not conforming at the same time. Their emotions do not disappear, and it drives them nuts. Males can often be subjected to this, since mercy traits aren't really "masculine"
Exhorter (Extroverted Intuition and Feeling) Always extroverts.
-They're pretty animated in their movements and expressions. Their face moves a lot when talking. And they LOVE to talk.
- Don't care for details and "red tape", and often START the big projects, but don't finish them and/or leave things out. (Intentionally or not)
- They can handle abstract conversation, and can even like it, but they don't like when it gets too abstract.
- When they get interested/enthusiastic about things, it's full throttle. It'll draw in others too. But it can change. This is why they're suited to salesmanship.
- Loud, bubbly, happy. They certainly can have their "explosions" though.
- Did I mention they love to talk?
Note: O HAI ENFP person I know!
Servers (Introverted Sensing) Always Sensors
-Tend to be emotionally stable, comfortable in their own skin.
-Learn by doing or watching others do, will often keep doing it the way it was taught.
-Don't take moving very well.
-They keep their reading practical.
-Things have their "place" and it is not to be disturbed. I guess this extends to messiness too. It probably won't be tolerated.
- Tend to not stand out, including in history. They typically don't rise to fame.
-Good with their hands.
- Likes to do things on their own terms, but is a team player.
-Step by step. A to B to C.
- Don't really care for humor. (Not too sure on this one)
(My friend added this one)
- Learning for learning's sake is retarded, if you can't use the knowledge, there is no point in their eyes.
Note: This is like ISFJ embodied, right? You'll know you're a perciever if this sounds totally unappealing.
Perciever (Introverted Thinking) Almost always a T type, and N types also tend towards this.
- Loyal, hates hypocrisy and especially inconsistency/fakeness.
- Extending from that, if inconsistency continues, they will cease to see you as a person. Even if they disagree with you, being consistent about it will earn you their respect.
- Big picture oriented, to the point where they need it to evaluate ideas. They like to know the whys and how it all connects.
- Free associates ideas, finds connections whether between words or ideas, sometimes at random they will discover strong or even beautiful connections and it'll be like "AHA!"
- Looks for contradictions first, often sees flaws in other people's plans and will point them out. May piss people off but it's natural for them.
- Strongly believes what they believe, and it is not affected by peer pressure. In this way they are pretty independent.
- Revels in irony and sarcasm.
Note: I think the population here would mostly fit under this banner. We're often misunderstood, and tend to be packrats. xD
Teacher (Introverted Intuition) Always an N type. Also pretty rare.
- They're minimalistic. They don't really go for what they don't need. Though sometimes may even forget what they need.
- Their understanding is a part of them. Attack their understanding and you attack them. They see through it and if they cannot explain something through it, they'll get confused.
- Their knowledge base is one collective whole, they don't separate it and use it as a frame of reference..for a lot.
- Can single-mindedly concentrate on one thing until they get burned out. And even then won't care to publish it.
- Can abandon traditional thinking and build on anything.
- "Intellectual loners"
- Works with details and general principles, and can often confuse themselves with it.
- They have a terrible memory when it comes to past experience.
Note: This style is rather emotional, as their understanding is such a big part of them. While I can't be sure of this, I think if any style is more likely to be asexual, it's this one. Also, INTJs dominant is Ni so there will probably be some overlap no matter which style you use. Albert Einstein and Issac Newton are clear historical examples of this style.
Contributor (Extroverted Thinking and Sensing) This type tends toward S, and many different types can be this, including INTJs.
- Hates having to earn approval.
- Has a vivid imagination.
- Often unstable emotionally, gets worth from outside sources and is probably the easiest to hypnotize.
- Likes to read mystery novels.
- They are numerous, and they can appear as percievers, mercies, or servers.
- Like practical jokes.
- Don't like to do what they're not good at. Will not battle someone who is an expert outside of their field.
-Strong sense of ownership.
-Enjoys having guests over, being hospitable.
- Doesn't mind buying huge things, but is rather cheap and will try to find cheap parking or get things on sale.
-They are keen on detecting the social "pecking order" and will try to get into it, and do not like to apologize.
(There is a ton more...)
Note: Chances are the "fakeness" that pisses percievers off so much will come from these types trying to climb the social ladder. You really need to dig deeper to better understand this type, as there are probably some INTJ's here who fit it. Chances are if you feel threatened when someone accuses you of "S" ness, you might want to look into it. :P
Facilitator (Unknown) This one can be just about any type, save INTJ and possibly one more.
- Can always express how they feel at any given time.
- Can interact for long periods of time with anyone, even if they detest that person.
- Can detach themselves fully from things to observe, even if what's going on isn't all that objective.
- Artistically inclined.
- Eclectic in their interests, will often try their hand at many different things. (Contrast with teacher)
- They pay a ton of attention to details. (Probably ties into the being good at art.)
- They're fixated on uncertainty.. and.. well, most philosophers (95% in the book) are facilitators.
- Adapts well.
Note: This one is the one I have the hardest time with.. maybe you all will make better of it. But a friend well versed in this noted that J and P facilitators differ greatly.